1969 IIA - 200TDI Conversion - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 9th, 2015, 11:40 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Wow. They sure come apart a lot easier than they go back together.
From where I sit it looks like you're about 1/4 to 1/3 done, or say 65% more to go. Looks like it was all just sorta plopped on and not really properly sorted.
Good luck with all that.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I'm not really quite sure what happened honestly, there was no path to completion and mostly dis-interest in finishing what got started. That is all I really care to talk about.

Bill, you are pretty much correct, the motor is mounted to the gearbox and the motor mounts are tack welded in place. Otherwise, nothing…….no wiring, no plumbing, no nothing. The outside of the truck has been re-sprayed, but after quickly looking through the parts last night there are several with tons of overspray from other projects. At least one of the doors will have to be re-painted…….the trim kit was not even removed before it was painted and there is paint everywhere (trim, steering wheel, tires, etc). I would say just about anyone is capable of getting it to the point it is now, so that's pretty disappointing.

I am still doing inventory, but seem to be missing some pieces. The guy in the shop was genuine in that he would help me track down missing parts and UPS them to me after we spent 3 hours finding everything.

Anyway, next steps for me are to sort out and inventory. Brian K. has hooked me up with a buddy of his and we are going to meet in the next several weeks and try to formulate a plan.
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Will....fwiw I feel sorry for you.
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Just....wow.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:00 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

So here is my update after sorting through a bunch of stuff and taking stock.

Missing front indicator and parking lights
- Missing tool box cover and passenger seat box cover
- Missing slave cylinder and anything clutch related other than the master cylinder
- Missing wing protection
- Missing battery, tray, etc.
- Radiator Overflow Bottle, etc.
- Throttle Linkage
- Low/High Shift Linkage and knob
- 4WD Shift Linkage (spring, knob, linkage, etc)
- Any Kind of Wiring - All winch wiring is gone, truck ground and pretty much anything else power related
- Missing Trim (bulkhead trim, tunnel cover, left/right footwell trim)
- Mud Shields (both)
- Lots of other small parts and pieces mostly related to wiring, brake lines, etc.

Damage and Other items

- Gearbox has been taken off of its mounts and shifted for some reason. The front drive shaft will now not clear the front crossmember and connect to the front diff. This has me puzzled, but nothing is surprising……..motor will need to move or gearbox will need to move or both.

- Something has smashed the front passenger side corner of the seat box and gone and smashed a big dent in the fuel tank. Someone made a crappy repair on the corner of the sweatbox and they rattle canned the fuel tank to try and cover the damage.

- Over spray on freshly painted parts and scratches of freshly painted parts.

- Door trim has overspray all over it.

- Steering wheel is oversprayed

- There is what appears to be fiber all over anything that was supposed to receive bed liner material. I can assume it is the material that gives it it's texture and they probably had the settings wrong and shot dry material all over the place. It is mostly on the inside of the truck, but is all over the outside as well. I am going to have to grind all of this off and have it resprayed. In the bed, they sprayed liner material over the tape that covers the wiring and nothing underneath has any material on it……crappy workmanship.

Motor Stuff:

- Check out this link of what the TDI kit is supposed to include and how nice it looks…….compare it to what I have……….you can figure out who got screwed in this deal. I got the motor, some of the parts, the intercooler (very, very used) and nothing else.

http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/pho...lbum=200TDIKit

- No plumbing, nobody looked at running supply and return fuel lines, no cooling, intercooler hoses, etc.

- No wiring harness or anything else for that matter.

------ Follow up post added September 22nd, 2015 06:05 PM ------

[IMG]http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3C33%
3A%3Enu%3D3244%3E8%3B5%3E559%3EWSNRCG%3D368%3B%3C8 69%3B2325nu0mrj[/IMG]

------ Follow up post added September 22nd, 2015 06:08 PM ------

Old September 25th, 2015, 02:34 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Looks like they shifted the motor and transmission back to get steering box clearance. The only mount that should be modified is the right side mount with a normal install. Both mounts look like they were shifted back a couple of inches. I don't know about the 200tdi but with the 19j conversion I am doing, the turbo wants to foul the LHD steering box. I solved the problem by converting to a P38 steering box.
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:25 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I think what you have here is a failed attempt to install a 200TDI into a Series based on locating the mounts on the frame in the wrong location and trying to shift the gearbox location to solve clearance issues.
This is in agreement with what Mike already stated above.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
if that was mine I would cut those mounts off and replace them with the original style 2.25 mounts in the original series Land Rover position. Convert to PS and let the trans and transfer fall where they need to, that will result in the best ease of conversion of other components.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old September 25th, 2015, 05:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Everyone thinks engine conversions are so very easy until they attempt to do one, then it is something that is 10 times harder and 5 times more expensive than initially envisioned.
I think it is easy to conclude why Urban lost interest in this project as a whole.
When they got deep into it, it was too much work without a quick successful outcome.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old September 25th, 2015, 06:00 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Wow that is a mess. I agree with the above - cut those mounts off and put them in the right spot. Its strange they were moved at all because that's a Discovery 200Tdi (which would bolt in to the stock chassis using the right mix of brackets).
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:51 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I built an A-Frame on my lift, so I can suspend an engine where I want it and then raise the whole works and make proper mounts that come off the engine and frame to accommodate the engine position.
Without this setup, you are measuring and guessing and loose any precision.
Even the TDI jigs and mounts you buy in UK position a 300TDI in a skewed location.
Fixing someone's bad conversion takes more time that starting from the begining with the stock setup(s).

The worst part about this is most owners who have a shop do this work underestimate and undervalue the effort.
This may be because they watch the TV shows where a whole car gets restored and customized in a weekend.
Not shown on TV are the 230 people working on the project around the clock so it can be filmed in a week or two.

Old September 25th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Yes, it's a disaster…….I hate that I am the failed experiment. There are a lot of things related to this project that have left me scratching my head. The more I explore what I have drug home, the more I realize why they lost interest and pretty much bent me over. They had no idea what they were doing in the first place, once the labor hours grossly exceeded what I was quoted and what I paid (which was fair for someone that new what they were doing) they gave up and strung me along until I went and picked it up.

I am meeting someone Monday afternoon who will hopefully get me going in the right direction.

Briggs, there were about eight or so 110's in there, several Series trucks a bunch of Toyotas and a couple of RRC's. Fedex showed up while I was there and unloaded 5 or 6 pallets of TDI's.
Old September 25th, 2015, 08:55 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
What's? ULC is still there?!?....wow.

I feel terrible for you. Working with Kandefer on a game plan is a great start.

And to think I was thinking about ULC as an alternative to Safari...
Old September 25th, 2015, 09:19 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Yes, it's a disaster…….I hate that I am the failed experiment. There are a lot of things related to this project that have left me scratching my head. The more I explore what I have drug home, the more I realize why they lost interest and pretty much bent me over. They had no idea what they were doing in the first place, once the labor hours grossly exceeded what I was quoted and what I paid (which was fair for someone that new what they were doing) they gave up and strung me along until I went and picked it up.

I am meeting someone Monday afternoon who will hopefully get me going in the right direction.

Briggs, there were about eight or so 110's in there, several Series trucks a bunch of Toyotas and a couple of RRC's. Fedex showed up while I was there and unloaded 5 or 6 pallets of TDI's.
I feel your pain, but Brian should be able to help provided none of your Urban anxiety manifests itself in the wrong direction toward him.

Old September 25th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I feel your pain, but Brian should be able to help provided none of your Urban anxiety manifests itself in the wrong direction toward him.
I am beyond easy going, so no worries.

Old September 25th, 2015, 09:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
I am beyond easy going, so no worries.

Excellent Bru, excellent.
You should start a thread titled something like "Urban Land whatever Disappointment".

Old September 26th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
The sad thing is there is a handful of guys on this board who could direct a project like this without much difficulty.
The smart shop owner should ally with one or two so when they encounter hiccups like this project, a few phone calls(perhaps for a fee) could keep the project on target.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 26th, 2015, 11:18 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
The sad thing is there is a handful of guys on this board who could direct a project like this without much difficulty.
The smart shop owner should ally with one or two so when they encounter hiccups like this project, a few phone calls(perhaps for a fee) could keep the project on target.
We could advise a few dos and don'ts, but remember there are always multiple ways to "skin the cat".

Old September 26th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
We could advise a few dos and don'ts, but remember there are always multiple ways to "skin the cat".
ha ha
yep, I'm sure you could've pointed out a few "don'ts" on the above project....

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 26th, 2015, 05:29 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Good luck with sorting that out. I agree with putting the mounts back to standard, the props fitting as land rover intended is essential. Classic Land Rover Mag put a P38 power steering box on a leafer a couple of issues ago, looked reasonably straight forward. One step at a time and you'll get there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
200tdi, conversion, tdi