1967 SIIA restoration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old April 27th, 2016, 09:38 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

1967 SIIA restoration

After too many years in storage I'm about to restart the restoration of my 1967 Series IIA 88" pickup. It is one of the fleet of trucks originally bought by the State of Florida, They were painted yellow and had a rear PTO that was used to drive a mower deck. I've seen two or three other trucks that were part of this fleet over the years.

I originally bought this Land Rover in 1973 (it was my second Land Rover), sold it in 1978, and regretted it immediately. After more than 15 years of separation and much searching I was able to buy it back in the mid 1990's. It had been through at least four other owners during that time but had stayed in the Atlanta area. I had to pay a whole $300 more than I sold it for to get it back and it took me around 18 months to talk the previous owner into selling it to me.

Here's a shot of me stripping a terrible dark metallic green paint job from it in 1976.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2016 09:48 PM ------

I repainted it Corvette Chrome Yellow and drove it until May of 1978 when I took off to spend the summer in Europe. I left it with my parents and told them I was planning to try to buy a 109 in Europe so they could sell it but only if they got $2000 for it - no less. Of course dad sold it for $1500 so when I didn't get one of the LHD Military 109's I was trying to buy a an auction in Nottingham I got home and was roverless for a few months until I found my 109 wagon in Chattanooga that fall. I always regretted selling the 88" - most guys have that one car they wished they'd never sold - this was mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2016, 10:07 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
amazing story.. subscribed.
Old April 27th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Hell yeah!

:like:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2016, 10:19 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I looked for this truck for years and actually ran across it seven years after I'd sold it over in Tucker, GA about twenty miles away. The paint had all been stripped off and the seats had been recovered very badly. The current owner wanted way too much for it and I couldn't afford it so I had to let it slip through my fingers. I'd heard that it got sold to someone about 40 miles east of Atlanta and I lost track of it for another eight years. Sometime in 1995 a friend of mine called and said "I think I just saw your old Land Rover sitting in front of a shop on Lawrenceville Hwy!" I got directions and drove over that afternoon.

Sure enough it was my truck (a rather crude repair to the right rear quarter panel was the confirming detail). I pulled in and walked over to the shop's office. I said I'd like to ask about that little Land Rover over in the corner. The shop owner said "It's not for sale - I get about three or four guys a week stopping in wanting to buy it." I said I'd really like to talk to the owner of the truck - that used to be mine and it was the favorite car I've ever owned and I should have never sold it. He said he'd call the owner and see if he was willing to talk to me but he was sure the guy wouldn't consider selling it.

After he called the owner and explained he had this guy who was going nuts over the Land Rover and wouldn't go away until I talked to him he handed me the phone saying that he didn't want to sell it but he'd like to find out more about the Land Rover. I asked if we could meet and since his office was a few blocks away he agreed I could swing by and talk. I begged, I pleaded, I pestered the guy for over a year until he finally gave in and sold me the truck for $1800. I towed it home behind a friend of mine's crewcab VW transporter since the Land Rover had NO brakes (that was an interesting trip in itself).

After getting it to the street in front of my house I cranked it up and crawled up the steep driveway into the garage after getting a couple of pictures. My wife (who generally does not care much for Land Rovers called it "cute" which I took to be a good sign.

Old April 27th, 2016, 10:38 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

So now that I had it home we had to see what it needed - I know the brakes were non-existent and the alternator wasn't charging. A quick look underneath revealed that both the front brake lines had rusted through and needed replacing. The engine ran pretty good, clutch hydraulics were iffy and the alternator was bad. the frame was almost perfect and I couldn't see any rust on the steel parts of the body.

I set to work pulling off both front fenders and the grill panel so I could get to the brake lines. Once I got the front sheet metal off I looked at the paint peeling off the firewall and realized that to do this right I needed to tear the truck down. A week later I had disassembled the whole truck. The firewall is perfect - no rust - and the frame still had chalk marks from the factory. I removed all the bushings from the frame and took it to have it sandblasted. There was only a cracked weld on the rear cross member where Florida had welded on a tow hitch for a mower deck but after a quick repair the frame looked like new.

I passivated the frame, coated it with POR15 and then applied a black chassis paint top coat.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2016 10:44 PM ------

I gradually rebuilt the axles and steering relay, bought new Rocky Mountain parabolic springs, installed new bushings and assembled the rolling chassis.

That was as far as I got before starting the restoration of my two Porsche 356's.
Old April 27th, 2016, 10:48 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
very, very cool

subscribed.
Old April 27th, 2016, 11:00 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

So now almost nine years later I'm finally getting cranked up on a long overdue restoration. My target is to have it done by next spring. The first task will be to tear the front axle back apart to install the Heystee disc brake conversion. It uses stock D-90 brake parts on a pair of specially built swivel housings and front hubs. The only modifications I plan to do on the truck are the front disc brakes, parabolic springs, electronic ignition, and a Rochester carb. Everything else will remain stock original to this car parts.

It will be bright yellow and will look like it just came off the showroom floor when I'm done. I can't wait to bomb around town with the windshield folded down on the hood and a big grin on my face like I did when I was 22 years old.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2016 11:10 PM ------

So there is a considerable amount of assembly required...

Note - perfect firewall with electromagnetically applied primer coating done in an immersion tank at the Mack truck plant in South Carolina on the graveyard shift (its nice to have friends in the coating industry)...apparently lots of stuff got a trip through the dip tank back in the day - especially motorcycle frames.

Old April 28th, 2016, 07:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Jack, if you need anything like the brake pipe flare tool or the bullet crimper or the rivet squeezer or the fender cutting template (for the booster) or the terminal crimper or whatever else tools you don't have, let me know. I don't see needing those things for the moment and if they can help move the project along they're yours to borrow.

PS forget any and all projected deadlines/finish dates

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 28th, 2016, 09:53 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I need to finish up my projects so I can come help with this one.

AWESOME!!!
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:21 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Nice. And Jack, you are right about having regrets over selling that one great truck from the past...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
restoration