1966 Series IIA Rebuild - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

And that does not mean a cop will not write you a ticket or harass you for not having them as I found out with my 1955 M38A1 / CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

WOW. I never considered that...thanks Charles. Also, in regard to the wife comment, maybe all the more reason why Scott may not want to have seat belts. Scott, no insult intended here.

Dave, this is exactly why I want to know the facts surrounding the legalities of seat belts.

I started a new thread to take this seat belt topic off line.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Yeah, they aren't required, but I intend to keep them anyway. I expect to have this truck for a long time and who knows what might be in the future in terms of kids and such. Best to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:41 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

I haven't been too good about taking photos of my progress lately... mainly because it's been a frustrating several weeks of dealing with parts that have been rusted together for decades. Needless to say the angle grinder, sawzall, and BFH have gotten a lot of use.

Here's a few pick of the axle tear down... over a half dozen broken bolts, and several more bolts that I had to cut and later extract (i.e. upper arm bushing bolts, radius arm bushing bolts). The spring seat mounts were pretty rotted out on the rear axle, as you can see in one of the pics... I ended up cutting them off and welding some 3/4" plate on in their place. I'll post some pics of that later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fronty axle 1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	32965   Click image for larger version

Name:	front axle 2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	32966  

Name:	rear axle 1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	32967   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear axle 2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	32968  

Name:	rear axle 3.jpg
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	32969   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear axle 4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	32970  

Name:	rear axle 5.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	32971   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear axle 6.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	32972  

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:54 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

The leveling unit was the next big challenge... that entire assembly was/is completely seized together. After days of fighting with it, I decided to just pitch the entire leveling unit. A few minutes with the angle grinder and my truck lost a good 40 pounds.

I managed to get one of the upper arms off of the fulcrum bracket... the other one is still seized on there (all of which is soaking in the oil bath). The fulcrum ball joint took a few days with the angle grinder, sawzall, dremel, hammer and chisel... but I fianlly got it out.

Here's a few pics of the upper arms and what I had to do in order to extract the bushings and/or bolt sections. They were so rusted in there that nothing would free them... I let them soak in penetrating oil for weeks, I tried heat, I tried burning the rubber bushings out... nothing worked.

Finally, I grabbed the drill and a small bit and started drilling holes through the rubber bushing all around the center steel tube... kind of perferating it until I could get it out. Then it was another 20 minutes with a punch and a hammer to get the inner steel collar out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Upper Arms 1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	32973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Arms 2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	32974  

Name:	Upper Arms 3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	32975   Click image for larger version

Name:	leveling unit 1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	32976  

Name:	leveling unit 2.jpg
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	32977   Click image for larger version

Name:	leveling unit 3.jpg
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	32978  

Name:	leveling unit 4.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	32979  
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

I put together a makeshift paint booth in the back yard, so I can start spraying the axles, steering and suspension parts.

I framed in an 8'X12' building on a concrete slab out back, encased the whole thing in 6mil plastic sheeting (doubling over and sealing all the seams), cut out an air intake and put some filters in it (yes I did realize that I put one in backwards and I did fix it before I started), cut out an exhaust and doubled the filters up on it with a big exhaust fan on the outside, threw together a few racks and I was good to go.

I've got pretty much all the axle, steering, and suspension parts painted now... just need to get the fulcrum bracket and upper arms apart, then disassemble the steering box, and I'll be ready for the last batch. All in all, the parts look great. A couple of small runs, (some of the angles were tough to shoot and I'm still pretty new at painting) but other than that... perfect. No dust, no orange peel, nothing. Just a nice even flat black finish (the parts are still wet in the photos, that's why they look glossy).

In the picture of the rear axle, you can kind of see those pieces of 3/4" steel that I welded on to replace the spring seat mounting brackets. I'll post a better picture when I start reassembly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paint booth 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	32980   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint booth 2.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	32981  

Name:	painted parts 1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	32982   Click image for larger version

Name:	painted parts 2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	32983  

Name:	painted parts 3.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	32984   Click image for larger version

Name:	painted parts 4.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	32985  

Name:	painted parts 5.jpg
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	32986   Click image for larger version

Name:	painted parts 6.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	32987  

Name:	painted parts 7.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	32988   Click image for larger version

Name:	painted parts 8.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	32989  

Old November 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Damn Scott, seeing pictures of your axle rebuild brings back a lot of good, and bad, memories for me! I was lucky as most of my bolts came off without shearing. Looking good though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:12 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Damn Scott, seeing pictures of your axle rebuild brings back a lot of good, and bad, memories for me! I was lucky as most of my bolts came off without shearing. Looking good though.
Yeah, kinda hurt when I learned that those 4 bolts that secure the ball joint mounting bracket (where the upper arms connect to the rear axle) cost about $20.00 each ...and all four of them broke.

Just waiting for the last few parts to arrive (hopefully this week) and I can start putting it all back together. If all goes well, I'll have a rolling chassis for Chrstmas.
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Finally getting to the final build of the engine... it's been sitting here as more-or-less a long block for quite some time.

Unpacked the engine and did a quick layout of all the parts... then a test fit of most of the parts to make sure I had all the right hardware and so on.

I'll try to post some pics of the final build and finished product asap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	engine prep 1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	33972   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine prep 2.jpg
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	33973  

Name:	engine prep 3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	33974   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine test fit 2.jpg
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	33975  

Name:	engine test fit 3.jpg
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	33976  
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:10 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Forgot to get pictures of the axles as I got everything laid out and as they went together... but the suspension parts are all laid out now and I'll be sure to get some photos up of all that as it gets bolted in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	suspension prep 1.jpg
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	33977   Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension prep 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	33978  

Name:	suspension prep 3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	33979  
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:39 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Oh, man. Sorry to hear about your galvanizing experience. If it's any consolation (and it's a bit late even if it is), I had my frame galvanized locally (acid dipped first) and those images you shared could easily be mistaken for my chassis. And we (mechanic and I) did a lot of prep work on the frame prior to galvanizing.

Good luck with the project. Please keep the updates and photos coming.
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:34 PM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

PUNTER......just a quick suggestion from my experience....i would use the coated intake gasket for sure instaed of spraying tacky sealant onto that metal gasket....imo

great top to bottom build by the way!
Old December 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Where can you get them? ...I haven't seen anything other than this kind. You're talking about the Valley Pan, right?
,,,what's the bennefit? ...quieter? ...just easier to work with? ...or something else?

Thanks,
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFORGUE8 View Post
PUNTER......just a quick suggestion from my experience....i would use the coated intake gasket for sure instaed of spraying tacky sealant onto that metal gasket....imo

great top to bottom build by the way!
------ Follow up post added December 19th, 2010 01:33 PM ------

Yeah, the ash, drips, and runs I could have dealt with... that stuff can be sanded off without damaging the finish (it's just a lot of work).

My real issue was all the bad welds underneath the galvanization... and all the weld spatter underneath (can't sand that off... if you do, you'll breach the protective coating and then you've got patches of raw metal all over your nice new galvanized chassis.

Oh well... it's all cleaned up and powder coated now. The coater did a great job, too ...flawless finish. Really happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel View Post
Oh, man. Sorry to hear about your galvanizing experience. If it's any consolation (and it's a bit late even if it is), I had my frame galvanized locally (acid dipped first) and those images you shared could easily be mistaken for my chassis. And we (mechanic and I) did a lot of prep work on the frame prior to galvanizing.

Good luck with the project. Please keep the updates and photos coming.
Old December 19th, 2010, 05:48 PM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

yes the valley pan quieter and i find seals better.....you can them from a dealer or AB and RN
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

I got a little hung up with a short-notice move and haven’t had a chance to post anything in a long time. Ended up getting a new job out west, so I had to pack everything up and move over the holidays. The move couldn’t have come at a worse time (in terms of the rebuild)… EVERYTHING was in pieces.

With less than two weeks to have everything packed up and ready to go, I decided to enlist the help of some professionals. I really didn’t want to (as I wanted to complete this entire build all by myself), but there was no other way to get it rolling that fast.

First, I got a recommendation for a good engine builder, from one of the local hot rod shops and talked to him about finishing my engine build. I asked him to finish assembly, put it on a test stand, run it for the initial break-in, and tune it. I knew I wasn’t going to have time to touch it for a while and I didn’t want a fresh build to sit for months before it got run for the first time. Organized, boxed-up, labeled, and delivered everything that day.

Then, I asked around and found the ‘best 4X4 shop in the area.’ They agreed to build my axles and install the lockers. So, I laid out all the parts, boxed everything up, labeled the boxes, and dropped everything off. When I dropped off all the parts, I made sure to show them what I was dropping off, how everything was organized, and told them that if anything is missing to give me a call, it’s probably just sitting on a shelf in my garage. I gave them all of the manuals and support materials as well. I don’t think the mechanics paid attention to a work I said. “yeah, it’s basically just a Dana 60 and a Toyota-type axle… built hundreds of them, not a problem.”

About a week later the first call came. “You’re missing two seals for your rear axle, the special bearing that comes with your rear locker isn’t there, and your front locker won’t fit in your differential housing… you got the wrong one”

Seals… got ‘em, forgot to put them in the box, my bad. Dropped them off within the hour along with every spare seal, gasket, and bearing that I had in my garage. Special bearing? …if it’s not in the box, I never got it. Wrong locker? …doubt it. So I called Keith over at Rover Tracks; he had set me up with everything and I figured that if anyone would know what was going wrong, he would.

Keith was awesome… he spoke with the mechanics, and then jumped through his @** to get the ‘special bearing’ overnighted to the shop as well as track down another differential housing and have it overnighted to the shop too.

A day or two later, I get another call, “You’re missing some sort of spacer from your rear hubs, or your hubs are wrong. There’s all kinds of play (in-out).”

[Note: I’m converting the rear drum breaks to disk, and the front axles to 24 spline.]

I was at their shop within two hours with every hub, stub axle, and drive flange I had, to see what we could do. We ended up putting my old fronts on the rear and the problem was solved.

A couple days later the third call came, “Your axles are done, you can pick ‘em up whenever you want.”

So, I head down to their shop, totally stoked… all the BS from the previous days forgotten… just completely jazzed that my axles are done and I can get my chassis up on wheels. When I get there, I see my rear axle build up with rusty old hubs (I hadn’t painted my old fronts as I had not intended to use them), just as I had expected. What I didn’t see was my front built up with a rusty old differential housing, as I had expected (I assumed the one Keith had sent would’ve been unfinished).

“No, that’s your differential housing, not the one that he sent… turns out yours was the right one. We just had the wrong bearing in it and that’s why it didn’t fit right.”

So, just as I thought, Keith was spot on with the Locker he sold me… these guys are just complete tools! Maybe if they took the bearing out of the box marked front differential, they wouldn’t have had that problem.

Then I notice that the drive flanges had not been installed on the front hubs. “Oh, yeah, those hubs don’t fit on there right… the lock nuts are only on by like one or two threads. It can’t run like that… but it’ll roll and you can at least get it up on your trailer for the move.”

So, now I’m pissed off to the point that I don’t even want to open my mouth, because I know I’m not going to be able to control what comes out of it. We load the axles and several boxes of (I assume) old parts into my truck. I pay my bill, which was of course almost 50% more than they had quoted, and they go on to pat themselves on the back for a job well done, “yeah man, in the 4X4 world, that Land Rover stuff is some ninja $h**.”

I get everything home and download my truck. As I start unpacking all the boxes of parts, I see that there are all kinds of new seals, bearings, and gaskets in there. There should have only been a couple seals and a few bearing sets (that I knew were extra). This probably explains why the front hubs aren’t seating correctly… they probably used the wrong bearings. Of course, I also realize that I have no idea what they replaced, what they didn’t, what was done correctly, or what was not.

Now, I get to disassemble and rebuild my ‘professionally built’ axles. Now, I did want to do this build all by myself… so, I guess there is an upside to all this… of course, then there is the $1500.00 I pissed away on nothing.

So, then I’ve got to go out west for about 5 days to in-process at me new job (just before the holidays). While I’m out there, I realize that I hadn’t heard from the engine builder yet. I give him a call and he tells me, “Oh, yeah, I haven’t gotten around to starting that yet.”

I remind him that he told me he’d have it done a week ago and ask him if he can have it built, test run, and tuned before the holidays. His response was something to the effects of, “I might be able to get it together, but there’s no way I can get it installed in your vehicle, run it and tune it by Christmas.”

Not sure how many of you picked up on that part… who the h*!! said anything about putting it in my truck? So, he goes on to explain that he has no test stand and he didn’t understand what I was asking him to do. “Don’t touch anything, don’t unpack anything, I’ll be by on the 23rd to pick it up.”

Needless to say, the engine was moved in pieces. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were spent putting the axles and suspension on the chassis. The following days were spent dropping the body back on the chassis, loading it on my trailer for the move and getting everything else packed up. The New Year and following couple of days were spent driving across the country.

Here’s a few pics…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front axle.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	37532   Click image for larger version

Name:	front axle in.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	37533  

Name:	front axle in 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	37534   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear axle.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	37535  

Name:	rear axle in.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	37536   Click image for larger version

Name:	upper links.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	37537  

Name:	upper links in.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	37538   Click image for larger version

Name:	upper link in 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	37539  

Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Moral of this story... whenever possible just do it yourself. If you screw it up, you've got no one to be mad at but yourself.

Special thanks to Keith at Rover Tracks for all his help.

Here's a couple more pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front end.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	37540   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear end.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	37541  

Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

almost forgot... the other kicker to all this is that the rear differential doesn't even hold oil. Still gotta take a look and see, but i'm betting that they didn't even put the gasket in when they put the cover on.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

So, after that ordeal... made the move, got unpacked, set up the garage, and finally got a chance to start working on the truck.

The garage door is a bit shorter than at my old place, so I had to take the roof off to get it inside... then I was able to eek it in with about 3/4 an inch of clearance.

Interior is out (except the front seats... they're supporting the bulkhead for the time being), roof is off, doors are off and the dash is coming out next. If all goes well, by the end of the weekend the entire body will be disassembled and off of the chassis.

Here's a few pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	roof off.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	37542   Click image for larger version

Name:	door clearance.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	37543  

Name:	Doors Off.jpg
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	37544  
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:40 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Got a bit more work done today...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	windshhield off.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	37573   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash out.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	37574  

Name:	steering wheel out.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	37575  
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
love those valve covers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
rebuild, series