1965 Series 2a - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old December 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

I had assumed Charles did the install.
Or Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Carlos did it
Old December 16th, 2013, 09:09 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Horse shit... I did the conversion.

Carlos is my tech support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Yes - I know...sorry 'Dro - you did it, installed and wired it!! I know....

Then Carlos came over and redid it so it worked!!!!
Old December 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Yes - I know...sorry 'Dro - you did it, installed and wired it!! I know....

Then Carlos came over and redid it so it worked!!!!
I hate you...

Old December 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
lmao
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Ah yes...it's a big Bromance...feel the Christmas Spirit!
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I really find myself just staring at your avatar Bill...
Old December 18th, 2013, 11:02 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I really find myself just staring at your avatar Bill...
But shouldn't it be "Naughty"?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
So I have been at it for a few days now...stripped all but the roof and sides - focusing on the cab and the interior and the bulkhead. Remediated all the surface rust on the bulkhead, converted the rusted areas and then resprayed with a primer/filler for imperfections. Came out rather nice

I decided to concentrate on the interior versus the exterior - as it was such nice weather to paint! So I stripped it all out, took it outside and went to business.

Also did the Kodiak Mark IV as well - the core is in fantastic shape, so now it is all nice and shiny - ready to go back on.

I have the cab interior finalized - I hope that by the end of the day today the rear will be done.

Then I will order the AP Towers rattle cans in the Pastel Green and do the interior...get her absolutely done on the inside - ready to roll.

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	86513   Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	86514  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	86515   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	86516  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	86517   Click image for larger version

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	86518  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	86519   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	86520  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	86521   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	86522  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	86523  
Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:29 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
So I have been at it for a few days now...stripped all but the roof and sides - focusing on the cab and the interior and the bulkhead. Remediated all the surface rust on the bulkhead, converted the rusted areas and then resprayed with a primer/filler for imperfections. Came out rather nice

I decided to concentrate on the interior versus the exterior - as it was such nice weather to paint! So I stripped it all out, took it outside and went to business.

Also did the Kodiak Mark IV as well - the core is in fantastic shape, so now it is all nice and shiny - ready to go back on.

I have the cab interior finalized - I hope that by the end of the day today the rear will be done.

Then I will order the AP Towers rattle cans in the Pastel Green and do the interior...get her absolutely done on the inside - ready to roll.

Here are some pics
That's funny, I did some paint work on the cappings for my 90 where they were rusting a bit as well...the weather had us both thinking the same thing!

I also am finding it hard to believe you're making this amount of progress on your Series, when mine has somehow been sitting for about a year and a half! I need to kick my arse into gear on that.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:53 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:

You might want to consider replacing the interior upholstery while you are at it. Not only does new upholstery give your cab interior a new finished look it also does good job of reducing noise and adds thermal insulation. A bare metal interior acts like the inside of a drum reflecting sounds and aluminum is a very good conductor of heat and cold.

Exmoor Trim makes a kit for the kick panels and gearbox tunnel that is a factory style insulation with hydura cover. It looks nice, reduces engine heat inside the cabin and helps reduce sound levels. They also have floor mats that are a lot more rugged than the factory mats. Exmoor has improved their elephant hide material for seat covers and interior door panels. Installing the interior door panels also helps reduce sound levels while adding additional thermal insulation. Especially if you add insulation between the door panel and the interior panel.

Exmoor trim products are good quality and provide that factory new finished look s well as helping to keep sound and cabin temperatures under control.

Just a suggestion. I'm sure others will reply that the stripped interior look is better and easier to hose out. But with all the work you are putting into the interior you might want to replace missing factory interior panels.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Impressive. I formally retract the name Credro and any suggestion that you are in any way shape or form Pedro-like, expressed or implied.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Making good progress!!!
Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
What happened to the cover plates? You can take the boy out of Oz, but you can't take Oz out of the boy.

And by boy, I mean old guy.

-Jeff
Maybe he's converting to RHD .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 22nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Impressive. I formally retract the name Credro and any suggestion that you are in any way shape or form Pedro-like, expressed or implied.

Hehe...you need to come on over and see what I have done sometime in January...beers on me one weekend...

------ Follow up post added December 22nd, 2013 04:58 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

What happened to the cover plates? You can take the boy out of Oz, but you can't take Oz out of the boy.

And by boy, I mean old guy.

-Jeff
No cover plates...that is where the Kodiak Mark IV goes.

------ Follow up post added December 22nd, 2013 05:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
You might want to consider replacing the interior upholstery while you are at it. Not only does new upholstery give your cab interior a new finished look it also does good job of reducing noise and adds thermal insulation. A bare metal interior acts like the inside of a drum reflecting sounds and aluminum is a very good conductor of heat and cold.

Exmoor Trim makes a kit for the kick panels and gearbox tunnel that is a factory style insulation with hydura cover. It looks nice, reduces engine heat inside the cabin and helps reduce sound levels. They also have floor mats that are a lot more rugged than the factory mats. Exmoor has improved their elephant hide material for seat covers and interior door panels. Installing the interior door panels also helps reduce sound levels while adding additional thermal insulation. Especially if you add insulation between the door panel and the interior panel.

Exmoor trim products are good quality and provide that factory new finished look s well as helping to keep sound and cabin temperatures under control.

Just a suggestion. I'm sure others will reply that the stripped interior look is better and easier to hose out. But with all the work you are putting into the interior you might want to replace missing factory interior panels.

Thanks TeriAnn - your site and the work you have done has been an inspiration...as they say "this ain't my first rodeo"

I have done exactly what you mention in the two previous ones I did (an 88" & a 109") - although the 109" came carpeted, I just made sure it was perfectly done - it made a huge difference in that one! Plus the resto that was done prior had the white foam stuff in the doors behind the trim pieces - that was an awesome addition - I guess they did that prior to Dynamat.

Speaking of - I may plan to Dynamat as much as possible - still up in the air about that as it is glued on? I think first I will do the new tunnel covers etc - basically the full interior fir out. I have also been looking at Wright Interior matting from the UK - that is the bomb!! But pretty heavy. http://www.wrightoffroad.com/

Anyway - all after the new year as I have to now wait until the silly season is done and we get some more 60deg plus days!!!! Fingers crossed...
Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:10 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
rear done

Finished up the rear tub today...some bloody PO had carpeted it sometime in the past. Dang glue everywhere - but some strong elbow grease - and some sanding, a lot of scrubbing and cleaning with Purple Power then water/rinsed, then vinegar wipe...DONE.

Primed and ready...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	86551   Click image for larger version

Name:	8a.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	86552  

Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:27 AM
JohnBullsBollocks
Don
1963 IIA 109

Registry
Well done! I've crossed that bridge many times. I think I just sold you some stuff on eBay.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:08 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Yes you did - thanks Don!!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:56 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
What are you priming with on bare aluminum?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores