Defender Source Forum banner

110 build in UK

Tags
10K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  Abrooks 
#1 ·
While this doesn't count as much of a build up or a restoration, I thought I'd chronicle the process of getting a 110 that's relatively typical of what you find in the UK back in shape.

After being defender-less for two or three years after 20 years of a variety of trucks including a 94 NAS ST, a 97 NAS SW and three ROW trucks, I started looking again. At about the same time, Marcus Whitaker posted up one of his trucks that was still in the UK. He and I chatted about the truck and we struck a deal. The biggest item the truck needed was a bulkhead and Marcus referred me to a shop that he and his father have used several times in the past locally that was well prepared to fix or replace the bulkhead along with anything else that needed doing.

The starting point is a '92 110 200tdi. While it appears that it was originally configured as a pickup (some of the tailgate brackets were still in place), it's now a 3 door. Marcus' father ran it for some time and reported it to be a strong runner. As well, there's evidence that work has been done to it over the years including a rear crossmember, radiator, etc. While not a perfect truck by any means, she's a great platform to start with.

The goal has been to get her in good operating condition, deal with the bulkhead and some other very typical challenges and reconfigure her into a pickup. With the dollar being strong I'm going to have the work done before it comes over as well as adding a few nice to have items added. Attached is a picture of the truck as it sat.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
David George at Woodville 4x4 is the one doing the work and he's been great to work with.

https://www.facebook.com/Woodville-4x4-579291348910190/

David started by investigating under the steel plate that was added over the top of the bulkhead and, as was no surprise, it was clear that the bulkhead was shot.

After some investigation I decided that the best course of action was to bite the bullet and install a galvanized replacement. While it has to remain RHD to be eligible for import, the investment makes sense. I wound up ordering a rebuilt, galvanized bulkhead from Ashtree.

Ashtree Landrover International | Homepage

While it did take several months for it to be made, they were great to work with and provided a really nice bulkhead. I had them prime it before delivery (though I was tempted to leave it in Defender Chrome).

Attachments

#3 ·
While the wait for the bulkhead started, it was time to order some of the fun bits. Winch bumper, steering guard, diff guards and sliders started showing up at David's shop. I knew that these were items that were going to get added at some point and frankly the combination of the numerous options for each coupled with the strong dollar made it a no-brainer to pull the trigger.

Attachments

#4 ·
While trying to avoid shipfitters disease, I realized this was also an opportune time to address the doors. While they weren't as bad as some, they were dented pretty badly. I agonized over what to do; reskin the existing ones, go full galvanized roll up, fix the existing . . .
I finally decided on the SP Series soft top doors (AKA NAS ST doors). They offer a complete kit which was reasonably priced and all of the roll up door options wound up getting very expensive quickly. As I type the ST doors are still in their boxes and I keep thinking that a set of galvy roll up doors would be nice, though. That said, I loved the ability to go without door tops on my NAS ST. And with RN offering repro door cards for them and Badger offering the canvas door tops I think I"ll be happy.

Attachments

#5 ·
While the 3 door configuration makes a great overlanding platform, with a (very) busy job and three small kids, I'm not doing a lot of overlanding; what we can use, though, is a pickup. Not a terribly hard conversion, but it wasn't easy to find some of the parts. Especially difficult when they need to be delivered.

It was a cinch to find the tailgate and it's hardware, John Craddock had it to the shop in 2 days for what I considered to be very little money. Finding a hardtop though that could be delivered and wasn't made of gold in the sellers eyes took some work. Persistence paid off but if I were in a hurry it would have been a different story. I'm still waiting on the headliner and trim for the top a month after ordering.

------ Follow up post added February 14th, 2018 04:39 PM ------

There's now a huge pile of parts waiting to be installed. Between the aforementioned winch bumper, sliders, etc. there's a host of parts that I've needed to find. These have been from a combination of Craddock, Paddocks, ebay uk, various facebook forums, etc:
Bulkhead vents (completely missing from the patch on the old one)
Vent Screens
Vent actuating hardware
Windscreen to top seal
Steering wheel (old one worn, $75 in UK, $200 here)
Lenses
Snorkel
Vent Pins
Headliner rivets
Tailgate latches
Tailgate Hinge brackets . . .

The list goes on and I'm sure there will be more. At this point the last big item I"m considering is order a 3/4 canvas to go over the bed. Again, an item that makes sense to buy/install there.

#13 ·
More parts on the way to Woodville: Wright off-road matt system, Masai spare tire carrier and a later model plastic 3/4 hood and stick set. The later may well get replaced with a black canvas version with windows at some point, but for the time being it will do the trick.

#14 ·
As the tear down has continued we’ve found some of the typical challenges: shock towers that are rusted on the back side where the mud doesn’t get washed off and a leaking PS box. We are replacing both and taking the opportunity to do a full suspension refresh. Since it’s all apart this it the perfect time do do the timing belt as well.

Attachments

#20 ·
Some good progress has been made: galvanised bulkhead installed, new outriggers installed (there was just enough crust to go ahead and pull the trigger while it was all accessible), front suspension installed with new bushings all the way around and axle cleaned up, seatbox rebuilt, new sills installed (YRM has some nice parts), sliders installed. Doors have been fit and the front end goes on next. A few spots on the chassis were patched before the waxoil goes on.

Attachments

#21 ·
A bit more progress from the week: bulkhead is almost built out, doors are hung (ST from SP which are very nice), new vent screens, linkage and flaps are installed. This week the pickup Top goes on and interior goes back in.

Attachments

#26 ·
Brake pads all around, new pipes on rear axle, bodywork all fitted on front end, lift completed, winch bumper installed and dash complete. Next is lift gate , swing away tire and hoopeset and canvas. Then some paint, shake down run, waxoyl and transit! Looking at sourcing wolfs and 33s over there vs. here now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.