110 200TDi Refurbish by total newbie - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:24 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

110 200TDi Refurbish by total newbie

After months of research - and test driving of a couple of petrol 110s and one great D90 200TDi thanks to a local member - I took the plunge and bought a 1984 110 with a 200Tdi. The chassis is brand new Richards and the body is in fairly good shape. Interior needs a LOT of work. Suspension and transmission are solid 8s or 9s. Engine probably a 6 or 7.

Plan is to have a fairly complete rebuild from the ground up; evaluation and repair or replace engine; complete restore of the body and repaint; new interior and full insulation.

As of yet undecided on engine. First real test drive was mixed: Engine runs solid, but vibration is way worst than the D90 I drove. Probably hard rubber mounts. Lots of exhaust smell in the cabin (combination of bad seals and lack of insulation). After about 40 minutes at cruising speed I noticed temperature gauge rising. Pulled over an noted a coolant leak. Probably pump.

Right now undecided between repairing 200TDi and trying better engine mounts to reduce vibration or replace with something like an OM617. Definitively want to stay diesel.

So far forum members have been invaluable with support, tips, links to parts, etc.

Wife currently at DEFCON-4. May move to DEFCON-3 if I decide to replace engine. Will have to join a spouse support group when she sees the complete refit plan.

Will post start-point pictures soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:08 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Congrats!
Can't wait to see the pics.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:10 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Pics or it didn't happen.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Here's the "starting point". Sorry it's the only crappy picture I took in the rain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starting Point.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	91623  
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:07 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Congrats!! My wife was the same until my dad pointed out I could have other habits like drinking, women, etc. With this one i am a holler away and home helping with the kids
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Your dad sounds like my dad... and I guess everyone's wife here sounds exactly the same...

BTW, any suggestions on how to deal with vibration from the 200TDi?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:34 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post
After months of research - and test driving of a couple of petrol 110s and one great D90 200TDi thanks to a local member - I took the plunge and bought a 1984 110 with a 200Tdi. The chassis is brand new Richards and the body is in fairly good shape. Interior needs a LOT of work. Suspension and transmission are solid 8s or 9s. Engine probably a 6 or 7. Plan is to have a fairly complete rebuild from the ground up; evaluation and repair or replace engine; complete restore of the body and repaint; new interior and full insulation. As of yet undecided on engine. First real test drive was mixed: Engine runs solid, but vibration is way worst than the D90 I drove. Probably hard rubber mounts. Lots of exhaust smell in the cabin (combination of bad seals and lack of insulation). After about 40 minutes at cruising speed I noticed temperature gauge rising. Pulled over an noted a coolant leak. Probably pump. Right now undecided between repairing 200TDi and trying better engine mounts to reduce vibration or replace with something like an OM617. Definitively want to stay diesel. So far forum members have been invaluable with support, tips, links to parts, etc. Wife currently at DEFCON-4. May move to DEFCON-3 if I decide to replace engine. Will have to join a spouse support group when she sees the complete refit plan. Will post start-point pictures soon.
Great truck, was on ebay for some time.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I seriously doubt you need to change the engine. you are mostly looking at service items on powertrain and suspension. get them all done and start fresh.

start with your cooling system and IP timing.

------ Follow up post added March 23rd, 2014 09:42 AM ------

fresh filters and hoses for everything.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:51 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Agreed. I will do general engine repair before anything else to decide path. Fix cooling system and timing. If I see a path to solid performance and acceptable ride quality I will then move into suspension and interior work to get acoustic and thermal insulation. Probably will paint as well because car was painted in UK with new water base environmental paints, which just won't do in salty Boston winters.

Vibration was off the charts though...
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

You're welcome,

[/making fun of rice boys not to be taken as actual advice but hmm...]
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:35 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

I'm not sure what I'm looking at... Is that replacing the rubber mounts?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Nice looking truck, it looks to be a great base to work with. Welcome to the addiction.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Restoration starts on Friday

So, restoration of the '84 110 officially kicks off on Friday.

I can say without hesitation that after reading these pages for the last month I am now officially torn between keeping the 110 as true to its original shape as possible or updating it to make it a comfortable daily driver.

I actually would love the purists to go at it and criticize at length. Ultimately I will build a truck that I personally can love, but still would like to hear from both camps because obviously at some point I will have to sell the vehicle... Understanding that because I live in Boston it may end up in Nantucket

Here are some of the least controversial modifications I'm planning:
- Truck needs repainting. Instead of the original (and pretty disgusting) brown, or the current alpine white paint, this will be a metallic dark grey. The roof will be black.
- Engine will be updated with better cooling system and intercooler, and may install a small A/C system for those few days when it's actually hot in Boston.
- Significant insulation (both snake-skin and dynamats) will be installed in the cockpit and engine bay to achieve the highest level possible of thermal and acoustic insulation
- Entire electric system will be updated, as it is showing signs of age. Ditto for instrument cluster.
- May or may not need new transmission. Reverse is not engaging properly.

In terms of some of the things that are closer to the line:
- New seats. Bought new leather Puma heated seats. This one I don't care what people think. I have a bad back and it's freaking cold in the winter in Boston to not have butt warmers
- Kick ass entertainment system. I'm a MIT nerd with three boys under 12. Need the music and the screens.
- Roll cage (see comment about three kids above).

Things that I have not decided:
- Updated grill?
- Change rims and tires?

Alright people. Feel free to share opinions...
-
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:16 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Here's my opinion. Keep her pure and keep the stock look. There are tons of Defenders with all sorts of custom grills and rims but the pool of clean stock-looking trucks gets smaller by the day. No need to go with some Fast and the Furious gauge cluster. If your gauges are truly kaput, score some VDO Vision replacements. They're not stock but look close enough. That Alpine White paint is awesome. The classic color for a non-military Defender, in my opinion.

Insulate if you want but remember that you're driving a Defender. It's always going to be noisy/cold/hot. Adding Dynamat is expensive and it hides potential rust issues on things like the bulkhead. It can also make disassembly of the truck a pain in the ass if not done properly. It's a waste of money, in my opinion.

If your two hundy is overheating in Massachusetts, you may need a head gasket. Chase that down before you go throwing big money into cooling system upgrades.

Be careful with the entertainment system. I would advise against hacking up your truck for this, especially if this is your first Defender. Nothing brings down the desire ability of a truck quite like a ghetto-fabulous stereo install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I would doubt the vibration issue has anything to do with engine mounts.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
congratulations and welcome.

PM me if you're nearby and ever want to meet up and take a look at some areas of my 110 that were done well and some not so well as areas where I'd have done it differently if I were to start over again.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:33 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
- Truck needs repainting. Instead of the original (and pretty disgusting) brown, or the current alpine white paint, this will be a metallic dark grey. The roof will be black.
There's Bonatti Grey which is a nice color and stock Rover. I think you'll be unhappy with a black roof, especially in JJA when the sun is straight over head. I'm pretty sure everyone knows my opinion of white, so I needn't bore you.

Quote:
- Engine will be updated with better cooling system and intercooler, and may install a small A/C system for those few days when it's actually hot in Boston.
Inexpensive and doable, however 200 tdi tends to be cold blooded, so more rad may be overkill. AC bracket for 200 tdi available. Remaining bits can be sourced locally.

Quote:
- Significant insulation (both snake-skin and dynamats) will be installed in the cockpit and engine bay to achieve the highest level possible of thermal and acoustic insulation
Hm, well good luck with that.

Quote:
- Entire electric system will be updated, as it is showing signs of age. Ditto for instrument cluster.
What do you mean by that? There's glow plugs and lights and that's about it.

Quote:
- May or may not need new transmission. Reverse is not engaging properly.
I'd pop for a Ashcroft tranny and skip the wiring harness.

Quote:
- Kick ass entertainment system. I'm a MIT nerd with three boys under 12. Need the music and the screens.
Meh. Whatever.

Quote:
- Roll cage (see comment about three kids above).
Good place to handcuff them to.

PS That sure doesn't look like an 84. Has later doors for sure.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:17 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Thanks for this.

We are looking at the Bonatti Grey. It is a very nice color. The black roof is unfortunately been decided by the forces outside my control

On the AC, do you have any leads on where to get the bracket?

On insulation, I had it done to an old CJ and it made a WORLD of difference. I know a guy who does a hell of a job and it is insane how much noise road and engine low tones got reduced.

On entertainment system. Again, I'm one vote out of five. I will certainly do it in a way that is modular and can be all removed.

Tell me more about the Ashcroft tranny please...

Yes, the door are new. The old doors were completely rusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
There's Bonatti Grey which is a nice color and stock Rover. I think you'll be unhappy with a black roof, especially in JJA when the sun is straight over head. I'm pretty sure everyone knows my opinion of white, so I needn't bore you.

Inexpensive and doable, however 200 tdi tends to be cold blooded, so more rad may be overkill. AC bracket for 200 tdi available. Remaining bits can be sourced locally.

Hm, well good luck with that.

What do you mean by that? There's glow plugs and lights and that's about it.

I'd pop for a Ashcroft tranny and skip the wiring harness.

Meh. Whatever.

Good place to handcuff them to.

PS That sure doesn't look like an 84. Has later doors for sure.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:51 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Not saying I would, but can an LT77 be replaced by an R380 transmission be fitted to a 200Tdi with a LT230 transfer case?
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you do not want to move the engine, you need a "stumpy" R380, available new from Ashcroft. http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...sing-r380.html This assuming you have a Defnender 200TDi with a Defender LT77 in the truck at the moment.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, 200tdi, tdi