Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Owners Gallerys > Defender Owners

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:18 PM
Chris von C
No Defender at this time
Mike Hammond

Model: 1984 Defender 90

The 90 is a very early one originally a press release version again with a 2286 cc petrol engine. The engine was past it's best and wouldn't pull up hill at all well and only did 11 m.p.g.. I put up with this for a year while I located another 200 tdi engine and all the associated kit to fit it. This time I did the job myself, Dunsfold Landrovers took a day and a half when converting the 110, I took two weeks! It's a straight forward nut and bolt job though.
The next thing to change was the rear axle which had drum brakes, a real pain in the muddy conditions I tend to off road in in Southern England. It was swapped out for a 1986 Range Rover axle, Disc brakes and at that age both shock mounts face forward.
I've played around with the springs a little but settled on standard rear springs front and rear at the moment.
The front drakes have been uprated to late model 90/110 spec. They were originally the same size as fitted to a discovery series 1, the stopping is much improved.

When off roading I carry the following:
Tirfor hand winch (for when all else fails) those that have used one in anger will understand.
2 jerry cans of water with a 12v submersible pump for washing out radiators and brakes
bow saw
4lb hammer
snatch block
kinetic rope
tree strops
High lift jack mounted horizontally on the floor by the wheel box

1984 Defender 110

Originally a 2286 cc petrol engine. Dunsfold Landrovers retro fitted a 200 tdi diesel engine,intercooler, new radiator etc. and a 1.4:1 ratio transfer box (1.6:1 was the standard). I added some 130 wheels 6.5" wide and a good bit stronger. It has a bonnet mounted spare and a WVA holdings swing away rear mounted spare. A home made bracket mounts the high lift jack inside by the rear door to keep it out of the dust, not really a problem in leafy Surrey, England UK, but a distinct advantage when we went to Morocco last summer. It's got twin batteries with a split charge and 12v power points for cool boxes etc. on the rear bulkhead. I've kept the manual steering because they don't leak and only find it a pain in tight spaces when running Michelin XS sand tyres 7.05R16 when the steering is very heavy. This is my road motor and it usually runs road bias tyres Michelin XC4 7.50R16 at the moment and gives about 30 m.p.g. or more on a run. Plans include fitting a 90 side mounted tank under the drivers seat to extend the range without having to use jerry cans which took up too much space, rattled and were difficult to get at when on safari last summer.

1964 88" V8 coil sprung Series 2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Owners Gallerys > Defender Owners