Verify legal imports - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:25 PM
jickerson
Jordan
None

Verify legal imports

Hi everyone, I've been trying to familiarize myself with the rules on what makes a defender legitimately imported, but I'm still pretty confused. I ran across this dealer, which has quite a few D90's for sale that aren't 25+ years old. Below is a link to one such example. I would think these aren't legally imported, but the fact that they are at a dealership makes me question how they could be illegal. Any advice on how to verify the legal status of one of these?

1997 Land Rover Defender 90 convertible | Copley Motorcars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:27 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Good opportunity for Keith to respond.
Old April 24th, 2015, 05:36 PM
jickerson
Jordan
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Good opportunity for Keith to respond.
I don't get the reference to "Keith", but I got the PM (just can't respond as a new member). Thanks! I did run across references to NAS before and found out what that means, but there was at least one that i saw (1997 Land Rover Defender 90 convertible | Copley Motorcars) that didn't say anything about being an NAS. That is what made me a little worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:37 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I think you've confused yourself. If that's illegal then 70% of the owners on this forum are criminals...
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:07 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jickerson View Post
I don't get the reference to "Keith", but I got the PM (just can't respond as a new member). Thanks!
Meet Keith, or Mr. Fancy Pants as I believe he is called here.
http://www.copleymotorcars.com/?page_id=423
Mr. Pants likes his coffee and will do most anything for a Starbuck's gift card.
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Those are definitely illegal, but copley gets away with it because they make a lot of money and slip it into their politician's pockets. Nobody here asks questions. Get a 1983-1990.
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:15 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

He also defiled an NAS truck.
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Those are definitely illegal, but copley gets away with it because they make a lot of money and slip it into their politician's pockets. Nobody here asks questions. Get a 1983-1990.
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:33 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Hi everyone, I've been trying to familiarize myself with the rules on what makes a defender legitimately imported, but I'm still pretty confused. I ran across this dealer, which has quite a few D90's for sale that aren't 25+ years old. Below is a link to one such example. I would think these aren't legally imported, but the fact that they are at a dealership makes me question how they could be illegal. Any advice on how to verify the legal status of one of these? 1997 Land Rover Defender 90 convertible | Copley Motorcars
I can only imagine you did your research reading a single article on a Bing search. Learn what the initials NAS mean and come back with any follow up questions.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Mods: Please move this to the right section!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:03 PM
jickerson
Jordan
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I can only imagine you did your research reading a single article on a Bing search. Learn what the initials NAS mean and come back with any follow up questions.
Thanks, I do know what NAS stands for. I posted the question because the first posting on the website makes no mention of Land Rover North America or NAS. Combine that with horror stories I've heard about people having their cars seized and you can understand why I'd be a little concerned. Which is why I came to the board.

While I did get some constructive feedback (the initial pm from down_shift was helpful and made me check the other cars listed which all mentioned NAS in the descriptions) I also get crap like this. As an aside, these kind of comments are the reason why "enthusiasts" are typically seen in a bad light (not of defenders or even autos, but across all areas)... because they come across as dick comments.
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:27 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
I also get crap like this. As an aside, these kind of comments are the reason why "enthusiasts" are typically seen in a bad light (not of defenders or even autos, but across all areas)... because they come across as dick comments.
Ain't that the truth?!
That's why I don't hang around much on rangerovers.net. They are downright ruthless. I don't even know why they maintain a conversational forum if all they want to do is tell readers to use the search.
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
It's the Internet, it's not all rainbows and butterflies.
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:05 AM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Well just in case no one gave you a straight answer it's legal b/c LR imported a few years worth to sell in the US in the 90s. Thats a reputable dealer and a nice looking ride!

But if you're about to spend that much on one you should know everything you can about Defenders, it'll help you make a better decision (or bite you in the ass...look up land rover wolf)
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:26 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
They are legal because they have DOT certification.

This is a pretty good read as is searching around for North American Spec Defenders. There are a bunch for sale here at any given time, but please don't ask if a 1995 D90 ST has been legally imported.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender

As is this

http://www.lrfaq.org/Defender/index.html

And this

http://eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html

And this

http://eastcoastrover.com/INFOD110.html

Oh and don't forget this
Old April 25th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Contact Uncle Doug here on the forum via a private message or at his website. He is the only one I would trust with my $$ to import a defender.

Home

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:15 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Please forgive our fellow dicks here on the board... Sure, sometimes they come across as being pompous asses (some..not all) and sure, they can be a little tactless and abrasive..but in some of their defenses this board can be an absolute wealth of knowledge and assistance... In answer to your initial questions.. Keith is a stand up guy and has been a member of this board for a long while, he sells very high quality motor vehicles and as such is reflected in the price...... But it will be a nice legal example... The NAS (North American spec) vehicles are legal here in the USA... Defenders were only imported here legally in 1993 (500 defender 110 only) 1994 1995 and 1997, with the exception of nas #1 which was a 1993 d-90 truck and is yellow..... All 1997 trucks were automatics and only automatics in 1997.. A nas truck is pretty easy to spot.. 90's have the external roll cage in the front and goes to internal in the rear and the fuel tank is mounted under the rear centre and has a big beefy bash plate under it...expect to pay big bucks for a clean example of a defender 110 and I believe all but 1 defender 110 vehicles were white with a complete external roll cage.. I'm sure some of the pompous know-it-all gits on here are going to correct me on some moot points but as a general rule of thumb these are decent indications to go by.... But keep in mind that not ALL 1997 d-90's are legal.. Late 1997 vehicles were sold to other parts of the world and may not be legal to get back here into the USA.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Tags
import