Value of 1995 Defender 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:26 PM
jjrdvm
Joe
1995/d90

Value of 1995 Defender 90

I am hoping some one could help us out. We have a 1995 D90 soft top in alpine white that is truly a cream puff. It has never been off road, and has been kept in a heated garage since we purchased it in 2001. it presently has 34000 miles on it. The problem is that the title has a blemish on it. Prior to our purchase at 15000 miles the odometer broke and was replaced by the dealer which gives it a milage discrepancy. Also prior to our purchase when it was in MD it was stolen and recovered. In MD the law requires any stolen vehicle to be given a salvaged/rebuilt title. We knew this prior to purchase so we had it evaluated by Land Rover and were told that the vehicle was perfect not so much as a bolt has been loosened nor was it ever in an accident. Presently it is at land rover getting inspected and reevaluated for any signs of past damage. My dilemma is that I know it has the title blemishes and I expect that to decrease the value however I don't want to be taken advantage of. Can anyone help me with an idea of what it is worth. The title in our state is clear. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Any salvage title, you will be looking in the mid $20s or less, dependent on condition, no matter what back story you have to refute it. Alpine white STs aren't particularly rare or desirable - i.e. they do not attract a premium over other colors, and are usually sold at the lower end on the color spectrum for 1995. If it presents perfectly, try for $30k and see if you get it. If you want it to move, price is at $25k or less.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:31 AM
jjrdvm
Joe
1995/d90

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to the report from land rover this week. The strange thing about having this defender for me is that when it sits in the garage taking up space I always want to sell it to make more room. However, when I drive it even though it only amounts to about 300 miles per year I worry I would miss not having it.

------ Follow up post added February 17th, 2013 09:34 AM ------

One last question. The title of this vehicle is not a salvage title. The salvage title is in its history not on my title I just wanted to expose every thing about the Defender. I wanted to make sure whoever I sold it to knew the entire history. Would this make a difference??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
You presumably knew the state of the history when you bought it and adjusted your price accordingly. Someone else will likely do the same. Unfortunately a blemish is a blemish ... Doesn't really matter what the back story is ... Title says salvage.

To be frank I would sell it away from d-90, you are likely to get too many people picking at the slightest imperfection and driving the price down.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
What does the carfax report say?
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM
jjrdvm
Joe
1995/d90

My PA Title is clean however it shows up on the Carfax report. We Knew about it on purchase, and my sale was contingent on Land Rover Going over the Vehicle. Land Rover assured me that it was never altered or repaired. It was very clean so I didn't care, however buying and selling are two different things. This is where I am having the problem. If I sell it I want it to be a fair price for myself and the purchaser. Thank You for your help.
This Picture was from last years inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	66400  
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:45 PM
jjrdvm
Joe
1995/d90

I received the report from the dealer. The inspection has been completed. The quote from the service manager was: This is one of the cleanest Defenders that I have seen in a long long time. There are no signs of anything or any body repair having been done to it. This will be in writing and any potential buyer could contact him. So I am back to the question of what is a fair price to ask for this defender with 34,000 miles soft top and bikini top, both jump seats and bench seats brush guard and lights. ??? any input is appreciated. Thank You I am hoping that the evaluation will offset the history.
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would ask $30k and see what happens. Less if it does not have AC.

I am sure values will be all over the map because of the issue. If you want to drive to the main line and visit, I would be happy to give it a good look it over and post a report for your potential buyer (no charge).
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

Is the truck being offered for sale at this point?
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:47 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrdvm View Post
I received the report from the dealer. The inspection has been completed. The quote from the service manager was: This is one of the cleanest Defenders that I have seen in a long long time. There are no signs of anything or any body repair having been done to it. This will be in writing and any potential buyer could contact him. So I am back to the question of what is a fair price to ask for this defender with 34,000 miles soft top and bikini top, both jump seats and bench seats brush guard and lights. ??? any input is appreciated. Thank You I am hoping that the evaluation will offset the history.
This all still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Any salvage title, you will be looking in the mid $20s or less, dependent on condition, no matter what back story you have to refute it. Alpine white STs aren't particularly rare or desirable - i.e. they do not attract a premium over other colors, and are usually sold at the lower end on the color spectrum for 1995. If it presents perfectly, try for $30k and see if you get it. If you want it to move, price is at $25k or less.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
jjrdvm
Joe
1995/d90

Thank You. One last question. It was mentioned to me to take pictures of all of the areas that are known to rust so that a potential buyer could evaluate it. I apologize for my ignorance. What are the areas that are most susceptible to rusting, and what other areas should I photograph. Thank You
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:34 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Joe, give me a call. 703-953-5546

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:54 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Frame, rear cross member, door bottoms, under the floor mats, bulkhead, frame outriggers

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:23 AM
jjrdvm
Joe
1995/d90

Thank you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Tags
1995, 90, 95, defender, defender 90