Small Projects Section - help with editing guides - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old February 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Small Projects Section - help with editing guides

I have already posted this question within the above section but that's rightly not the place to seek advice on forum issues. What I'm looking for is technical help to get over the problems I'm having trying to compile a guide for installing a gas heater.

It would be really useful to have the ability to edit pictures and text beyond the current 60-minute time limit so that I can get feedback from Members during its initial drafting stage and incorporate same. The idea here is that I can include the views and expertise of other Members, otherwise it will just be a document, warts'n'all of what I did and that's not how I want to compile the (our) guide.

Once we've got to a point where the draft becomes a final version and everyone's had an opportunity to contribute, we can then disable further editing. That way it becomes a document that the D-90 Community owns and can control. I believe this is important because it'll be more readily accepted as a useful guide with 'legs'.

Is this something that can be easily achieved through the forum settings for my thread? If not, I'll do it via a PDF file with a link to it uploaded elsewhere on the web. As I say though, I would prefer to see the Guide produced as an integral part of the D-90 Community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
There are plans to change the site over to use a CMS so that this sort of thing will be easier to do. I can't tell you when this will happen though and there is no point waiting for it. This is what I'd do:

1. Make a post and solicit feedback.
2. At some point when you think you have enough feedback to warrant a change, make an updated post incorporating all the changes.
3. repeat as needed
4. At some point we'll put the complete work somewhere, or update the original post if needed for you.

This may not be ideal, but there is nothing stopping you moving forward and I think you are better off just getting started than waiting for an ideal solution or doing a PDF.
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Hi Charles and belated apologies for not getting back to you on this thread. I didn't pick it up because I've been using some bookmark 'cheats' to get direct access to the forum outside of the 'framed' pages. Anyhow, I really appreciate your positive feedback and I think the idea of migrating to a CMS set-up is the perfect way to go. I know it's probably none of my business but I'd be very keen to know if the Team is contemplating using Joomla and then setting up a bridge to vBulletin or perhaps moving to Kunena?

There's lots of great options that I'm sure you're exploring and I know D-90 Source will improve dramatically in a number of significant ways for the site owners, administrators, mods, members and visitors alike.

I've taken your excellent advice on board and to add to your suggestions, what I'll probably do is break my posts down in a new thread, using general installation steps. Members can then quote these when asking for more information, offering corrections and/or additions etc.

When this all gets completed, I can extract the information to be used (my own submissions with pictures and contributions from members) and do a full post with this at the end of the thread). Once I get to that point, it would be awesome if an Admin or Mod could edit my initial post to draw folks attention to this last post which represents the hard work of the D-90 Community.

I can also do a nicely formatted HTML version with clickable images throughout that can be blown up. I know that when the site goes to a CMS system, it will be possible to provide a WYSIWYG editor and publishing tool (with Admin permissions) to enable Members to do this themselves, thereby reducing the burden on Admin while at the same time giving huge scope for Members to produce really great-looking projects that bypasses the limitations of the forum software for this purpose.

Again, my sincere apologies for not spotting your post sooner.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions