Repair wiki-an idea - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:07 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Lightbulb Repair wiki-an idea

Hey guys,

Been kicking around an idea the last several days and thought I would get you input. What do you think of starting a Defender wiki that just deals with troubleshooting, repair, and upgrade otions?

Inlight of my issues I was thinking this would reduce the time and frustration of finding the gremlins inherent in these vehicles. The wiki idea would let everyone who wanted to contribute to the available content and verify/update its accuracy.

While the tech section of this site has been helpful, I find it pretty limited in the material covered and difficult to locate applicable information.

Would this be something others might be interested in? Better ideas? Would some of you be willing to contribute content towards such a thing over time?

Flame away...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

That's an outstanding idea. Far better than a bbs in terms of search capabilities and so on.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Its got my vote!

I think this is a good idea too. I find the search option to be a great tool, but it has its limitations.

How would we moderate it and keep its accuracy though?
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I am looking in to the moderation, cost, etc now. I was thinking that if it was possible, we would start by limiting it to members of D-90 source. That would insulate it a bit from random post by the ill informed or those with just a personal beef against the vehicle (some people I have heard don't like the Defenders, they must be nuts right?)

There seems to also be a lot of information in the public domain, scatter all over the internet that we could consoladate into one stop repository.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Come on now...

1. You're going to take countless pages of info from this board and consolidate it all to another?

2. What's wrong with the search function here? Nothing.

3. "tech section of this site": sure, the tech section is the ENTIRE board! Sure, the tech section, per se, has the owners' rigs and some upgrades but the true tech info is throughout the board.

If I were to search for "overheating" on Wiki I'll get better info that already present here?!

If you want to "improve" anything why not do it and keep it on this board? Oh, right...do a Wiki because it's trendy and cool. Oooh, look, we've got a Defender thing on Wiki!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

That is not at all my intension. I am not talking about taking anything from this sights outside what people wish to post on there own. Is it easier to read through 20+ pages of threads looking for answers only to find that most threads dead end with out the solution ever being posted or find all the combined experience in one page. The wiki idea allows people to edit out incorrect or inapplicable information.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. A problem may be people are not finalizing a thread by posting a solution.

2. Another problem is a troubleshooting question is very often too general and the solution may be very specific. So a simple topic on overheating has many "answers", all similarly valid.

3. Whos' to say one person's editing is better than another's? The whole Wiki stupidity is post what you think and then have it "corrected" by anyone.

I still say just improve what we already have here. Why waste all the time and effort just to have a "Wiki". Oh, right. I forgot...'cause it's cool man!!!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I think the Wiki is a good idea, and Art (through sarcasm) and Scott both have good points. :-)

The problem with the current BB system is the search results are a bit limitting. When you search for a word, say "filter". You get a list of threads, and each instance of the word filter is highlighted in bold red. The problem is, you have to scroll through everything to get to where that word is. Talk about a waste of time. Try searching for something in the "International HS2.8L" thread you have to manually search through 23 pages to search after you've already searched.

Are there any updates to the BB software that would improve this? Stickies don't really solve the problem either. The FAQ is out of date and almost never updated.

I like the idea and intention of the wiki, but it would have to be properly moderated to keep it clean and accurate. Who would do this? It would also take a lot of effort up front for it to be useful; to collect and consolidate the information.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:42 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

My point is that all the threads on this board are a huge database of information that you will NEVER consolidate in a Wiki. I am not referring to upgrades or substitute/actual parts but troubleshooting issues.

You're right, the search does not go to the first instance of the search item in a thread. That can be fixed by the bbs developer.

So, let's fix this minor nuisance and get on with it. Why start a new board??? It's a large effort that you'll be entangled in.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

How to fix D90:

1. Get frustrated
2. Put it up for sale cheap
3. Let pendy or evilfij buy it
4. evilfij or pendy fixes truck
5. evilfij or pendy drives it around for a year or two
6. buy back truck from pendy or evilfij once sorted
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I say give it a shot (the wiki)...try hard and make it succeed. If it fails, oh well...another learning experience. Life goes on.

Why not use the information in the board? Not like it would be stealing someone's revenue stream or intellectual property (well may a little, but I doubt anybody would be offended). Scour the BBS and BBS archive too. Collect as much of the information as possible to be as complete as can be.

Meanwhile, let's try to get a tweak to the search function...

Make it tied to this BBS so that it is limited to board members.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm up for anything really, I'll try to make free, not for profit, effort succeed. I'm the local glutton for punishment.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
Are there any updates to the BB software that would improve this? Stickies don't really solve the problem either. The FAQ is out of date and almost never updated.
There have been about 8 major updates/new releases to this software the forum uses but I haven't applied them. The problem is 2 parts. First when I went to this version currently running here, I started working on developing a front end for the rest of the site to be pulled into one single backend base. I spent quite a number of months testing and coding the whole mess and as some people who saw the Beta site up and running, was right about to shift the site into the new format. Sadly some personal matters in my life came into play, dealt with that, then moved, dealt with that and so on.

Since then many, version changes and updates for the software has been released, making all the work i put into the original new front end worthless if I wanted to bring the software current. Some testing I did when the site moved to Charles hosting a few months ago, showed that upgrading not only broke a lot of things already in place (like the links section for one), quite a bit of coding and formating to other things currently in place, broke as well.

The FAQ is very outdated. The times when it was still being updated, the info was simply info from other sources. Updating it in that manor is no longer really viable which lead to the plan of recreating the old FAQ section by merging it with the Tech section here on the forum and breaking the tech section out into specific sub-sections layout like the old FAQ is now, but now would be live up-datable as the thread here in the this section are, no longer depending on updating misc. html pages that arent searchable in the sites main search engine.

This would also help with the searching problem not that there really is one here. Now if you want to search for something say Sparkplugs, using the advanced search engine page, already in place here on the forum, type Sparkplug and select it to search only the sub-forum you want to see results from, like the Tech section for example, you'll find a lot closer to home hits on what you might be looking for. This way you wont see classified listing with sparkplugs or non-tech post where someone was tossing sparkplugs at birds for fun. The reason you get 4000 hits on results that dont really do anything for what you are looking for is, that you need to narrow the search, same as you have to if you go to google, wiki, etc. and search. The quick search at the top will only does a complete forum search of the entire forum and will give you any thread that has Sparkplugs in it. Go to the advanced search and narrow where you want it to search and your search results will be more focused. But then again, Wiki, D-90 Source, Google etc., it doesnt matter, it applies to all search engines the more focus you make the search, the closer results you will get. But here you can select specific sections to search or exclude.

All I can say is that I havent been really able to catch up with it all. I'm trying to set time aside to start readdressing all that I wanted to do with this site and my others.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Why not use the information in the board? Not like it would be stealing someone's revenue stream or intellectual property (well may a little, but I doubt anybody would be offended). Scour the BBS and BBS archive too. Collect as much of the information as possible to be as complete as can be.

Meanwhile, let's try to get a tweak to the search function...

Make it tied to this BBS so that it is limited to board members.
Just so its clear, the info submitted by people here in the posts is pretty much "public use at your own risk". I dont equate the 2 shirt sales a month to the submissions in the tech section so you dont have a revenue stream issue with me.

The intellectual property though would only bother me if someone start lifting the site graphics or pictures that were submitted here for something like special product sales, for example the White Dog cartoons, site header or banner graphics. But someone posted a pic of their oil change in a tech section I would say could be fair game as long as you obtained the posters permission.

But, I have to say, I dont know what all is involved with tying user accounts to a Wiki gadget. Honestly, I dont have a problem at all with someone wanting to start another resource site for the community, but personally, intergrating Wiki into this site, is not going to make my todo list. First and foremost, I am already so far behind in not only site updates, getting up to speed on the software changes, and restarting the effort to pull the rest of this mess of a website into one seamless format, its simply just not something to look at for me at the moment. Second, once I get the site software updated, not only fix the broken things I dont yet know about, but then start looking at what kind of improvements the newest software gives us.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

The advanced search function definitely works and helps get specific to narrow down searches. Good point, and I have used this before.

EDIT:

Chris, my posts were in no way intended to be passive-aggressive pokes at you as an admin. I just want to make that clear. I think you do a good job. I'm just throwing out some food for thought. Thanks for the informative replies on the situation. I certainly don't expect you to be upgrading all the time, and anything custom takes an even more enormous amount of time. We all have other priorities, so do you.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
The advanced search function definitely works and helps get specific to narrow down searches. Good point, and I have used this before.
Cool.. because if it was not working like that you guys need to let me know. Sometimes a re-index of the search engine does need to be done to get it back on track.

Quote:
Chris, my posts were in no way intended to be passive-aggressive pokes at you as an admin. I just want to make that clear. I think you do a good job. I'm just throwing out some food for thought. Thanks for the informative replies on the situation. I certainly don't expect you to be upgrading all the time, and anything custom takes an even more enormous amount of time. We all have other priorities, so do you.
No worries at all, I didnt take it that way in the least bit. Scott asked me a while back about the idea and again, while I support anyone wanting to provide something that helps us all out, my personal energys should be focused on getting the site back on track, and then once thats done, then can have the time to look at these other helpful tools.

And for the record, I of all people will be the first to say, havent been doing a good job. Since my separation/divorce, the site as well as Rovergirls.com have received almost zero forward movement in updates and improvements. The newer format was supposed to greatly improve my ability to update on the fly and reduce the administrative stuff I needed to do for updating and its still just kind of hanging in the middle still. So for that I apologize to all members here. As i said, I'm trying to get my game back. I love this site and no one is more disappointed than I in the stale state its been in. The only saving grace has that the forum runs so well and the members interact so well for the most part, between Mike being busy with things in his life, me in mine, you guys dont (and never really have) need to be babysat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Chris,

There is really nothing wrong with the site so stop worrying about it. As for lack of updates to various departments, big deal. As long as the board works and I can search I'm happy. I do not need to see the latest and greatest in owner profiles or FAQ.

I do find it a pity that people here are eager to abandon helping out on this board to start another all for the sake of being WiKi-cool...

Please!!!

I do not rely on Wikipedia for ANYTHING! If I want REAL information I go to a REAL source not one where any idiot can post info as fact.

Are you all serious to take Wikipedia as a serious site?!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I must be lame. What is Wikipedia??? I finally upgraded my cell phone from analog two years ago so I am kind of slow. By the way I think this site is great.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I upgraded from a Motorola Startac in December. Beat ya!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Chris,

There is really nothing wrong with the site so stop worrying about it. As for lack of updates to various departments, big deal. As long as the board works and I can search I'm happy. I do not need to see the latest and greatest in owner profiles or FAQ.

I do find it a pity that people here are eager to abandon helping out on this board to start another all for the sake of being WiKi-cool...

Please!!!

I do not rely on Wikipedia for ANYTHING! If I want REAL information I go to a REAL source not one where any idiot can post info as fact.

Are you all serious to take Wikipedia as a serious site?!
Thanks for those words of support Art. In fairness, I haven't publicly asked for editors, contributors or additional moderators yet. That was going to come after everything got into place. Some people have offered privately and publicly here and there, the process is just not in place yet.

Quote:
[/size]
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I don't think I am explaining myself well. What I was envisioning is no different than a well developed repair manual made by the members of D-90. I have purchased four so far and the troubleshooting guidance is pathetic.
I'm sorry you have such an issue with the theory behind the Wikis. Your craze as you put it exist because in a serious field this leads to information sharing (academics was by and large the first to utilize the system and where the crude design originated).
I was in no way criticizing Chris, I know the effort involved in running a community. That being said, I think a resource where in 20-30 people can moderate and add content makes is much easier than 2 or 3.
Do you honestly find the disjointed and often incomplete post on the forums and tech sections so complete as no improvement is possible. If so I acquiesce, I will not be able to facilitate a useful discussion if you have made up your mind.
Are there any constructive comments for or against? I have no issue putting some material and a site up but would others contribute? Or is this something that you feel would be unproductive?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions