Repair wiki-an idea - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I dont equate the 2 shirt sales a month to the submissions in the tech section so you dont have a revenue stream issue with me.
Well, I for one am embarrassed by my lack of support. I imagine the coffee cup on top of the fridge contains nothing but dust bunnies.

I hope there's still a couple of hats available on the old store. That thong-thing is by far the most uncomfortable underwear I've ever worn.
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
I hope there's still a couple of hats available on the old store. That thong-thing is by far the most uncomfortable underwear I've ever worn.
Now that cracked me up. LOL
Sadly I only have 2 more of the original hats left and I think I'm keeping them since mine is getting pretty ragged. I'd reorder them but out of the whole lot I had of the 100 or 150 or whatever it was, I gave away about 65 - 75 % of them over the years.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Hi Chris

If it's of any help, I am a Web Designer by trade and build CMS systems based on Joomla and other Open Source sofware for global Clients. I can offer my support totally free of charge. I recognise the high value of this site in the very short time I have been using it and would love to contribute to its continued success. CMS systems as you know are totally integrated and seamless and use MySQL to store data and drive its components and modules. I'm sure D-90 could benefit from such a system and these would be significant in terms of spreading the responsibility and burden of managing and adminstrating the site as well as updating content and the software.

This work would require some effort to achieve and although I have plenty of paid work coming my way from clients in the UK, Canada and the US, I do leave myself the luxury of being able to contribute to the odd not-for-profit project/organisation from time to time.

While your search engine does work the way it should, the split between the forum and the rest of the site is probably an area you'd like to improve most. A good CMS system will get around this problem. It is also possible to build a knowledge base with both questions as well as in-depth answers that would further meet the needs of Members.

Chris, please note I am not looking to steel your thunder as you have an excellent forum and website with some really neat tools and you manage it really well. All I would look to do is to add my expertise to help you reach your goals of taking this great site to the next level, just as you envision.

This is a genuine offer and a willingness to support you in a very worthwhile cause.

Neil

Quote:
There have been about 8 major updates/new releases to this software the forum uses but I haven't applied them. The problem is 2 parts. First when I went to this version currently running here, I started working on developing a front end for the rest of the site to be pulled into one single backend base. I spent quite a number of months testing and coding the whole mess and as some people who saw the Beta site up and running, was right about to shift the site into the new format. Sadly some personal matters in my life came into play, dealt with that, then moved, dealt with that and so on.

Since then many, version changes and updates for the software has been released, making all the work i put into the original new front end worthless if I wanted to bring the software current. Some testing I did when the site moved to Charles hosting a few months ago, showed that upgrading not only broke a lot of things already in place (like the links section for one), quite a bit of coding and formating to other things currently in place, broke as well.

The FAQ is very outdated. The times when it was still being updated, the info was simply info from other sources. Updating it in that manor is no longer really viable which lead to the plan of recreating the old FAQ section by merging it with the Tech section here on the forum and breaking the tech section out into specific sub-sections layout like the old FAQ is now, but now would be live up-datable as the thread here in the this section are, no longer depending on updating misc. html pages that arent searchable in the sites main search engine.

This would also help with the searching problem not that there really is one here. Now if you want to search for something say Sparkplugs, using the advanced search engine page, already in place here on the forum, type Sparkplug and select it to search only the sub-forum you want to see results from, like the Tech section for example, you'll find a lot closer to home hits on what you might be looking for. This way you wont see classified listing with sparkplugs or non-tech post where someone was tossing sparkplugs at birds for fun. The reason you get 4000 hits on results that dont really do anything for what you are looking for is, that you need to narrow the search, same as you have to if you go to google, wiki, etc. and search. The quick search at the top will only does a complete forum search of the entire forum and will give you any thread that has Sparkplugs in it. Go to the advanced search and narrow where you want it to search and your search results will be more focused. But then again, Wiki, D-90 Source, Google etc., it doesnt matter, it applies to all search engines the more focus you make the search, the closer results you will get. But here you can select specific sections to search or exclude.

All I can say is that I havent been really able to catch up with it all. I'm trying to set time aside to start readdressing all that I wanted to do with this site and my others.

Follow-up Post:

Just so its clear, the info submitted by people here in the posts is pretty much "public use at your own risk". I dont equate the 2 shirt sales a month to the submissions in the tech section so you dont have a revenue stream issue with me.

The intellectual property though would only bother me if someone start lifting the site graphics or pictures that were submitted here for something like special product sales, for example the White Dog cartoons, site header or banner graphics. But someone posted a pic of their oil change in a tech section I would say could be fair game as long as you obtained the posters permission.

But, I have to say, I dont know what all is involved with tying user accounts to a Wiki gadget. Honestly, I dont have a problem at all with someone wanting to start another resource site for the community, but personally, intergrating Wiki into this site, is not going to make my todo list. First and foremost, I am already so far behind in not only site updates, getting up to speed on the software changes, and restarting the effort to pull the rest of this mess of a website into one seamless format, its simply just not something to look at for me at the moment. Second, once I get the site software updated, not only fix the broken things I dont yet know about, but then start looking at what kind of improvements the newest software gives us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
site still rocks i think maybe the faQ section is really the only thing thats been neglected. anyways this is the best place on the www for land Rover Defenders
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I personally find wikis extemely productive and have nothing to do with bing cool. I think it's worth a shot. Worst thing is that it won't get used.

Chris, just day the word and I can add my favorite wiki (dokuwiki) to the site, integrated with the VB logins for authentication. I'll even take a stab at skinning it to match the site, but thats not really my forte.

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki

hth
charles
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:50 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Moving this to the suggestions section if no one minds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Chris, what are your thoughts on letting me add a wiki to the site? No work required on your part. I'll set it up to require a login (the same as the board) and we can see if it's useful or not. If not, no harm. If it is useful, I can't see how anyone who doesn't want a wiki should care - they don't have to use it.

Hit me up on AIM to discuss please.

charles
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:52 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Lets catch up tomorrow on AIM.

Quote:
[/size]
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Chris, did you read my post?
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hi Neil.. I just did. Let me touch base with you this weekend.

Thanks

Quote:
[/size]
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Hi Chris

Sounds like a plan!

Regards,

Neil
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

sounds like something may be happening behind the scenes...I think it'll be a positive experiment...looking forward to it.
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

There seems to be four choices to ponder here Chris:

1. ScottYates - Separate Wiki which can be 'wrapped' - seeks to resolve gaps in existing FAQ section.
2. cgalpin - VB integrateable 'unskinned' Wiki - seeks to resolve gaps in existing FAQ section.
3. Erimus 1 - full CMS system with knowledge base - not only seeks to resolve gaps in existing FAQ section, but would provide a massively improved fully integrated site with ability to ease management and maintenance of website on an ongoing basis.
4. Leave as is.

The window of opportunity is about to close in terms of my offer of donating my time and expertise totally free of charge so feedback would be very much appreciated. A new voluntary project is winging its way to me as I write, so I have to prioritise between the two sites in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Neil

Quote:
Hi Neil.. I just did. Let me touch base with you this weekend.

Thanks
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

No. 4 it is then.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sorry I missed your last post Neil. Yes, go with #4 for now. Reason being is a bunch has to happen here before forward movement on the Wiki stuff were to happen for full integration.

I had a long phone conversation with Charles on this subject after our last round of posts here in the thread. Surprisingly there seems to be a few add-ins now that assist in the integration and one that appeared to offer full integration of a wiki into the single backend as well as all the other stuff I would like to put into place (cms, etc). However, the first step is to being the software up to current version and allow all this to happen and then fix the stuff I know the upgrade breaks.

So, I am greatly appreciative and very much thank you for your offer to help but cant hold you up on something else you might be looking to work on. When the upgrade gets done, I would very much like to talk with you and hear your ideas if at that time you are available.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Wow, that is too bad guys. I was hoping to see some cool changes on the site this year. I was looking over at the Rangerovers.net forum and they have some cool things going on over there. The way the site is organized impressed me. One of our other members turned me on to it because he said the help (FAQ) section is full of knowledge.

97 D90 SW
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Suggestion: While you're upgrading the software, there's nothing stopping us putting a project team together to take the Wiki forward in preparation for the changes you plan. A lot of good groundwork can be done which will go some way towards speeding up the whole process. We know you're already very busy Chris, so with your permission the team can consist of Members who have some knowledge and/or interest in online knowledge bases/FAQ's/Wiki's. On this basis, I will be able to contribute to this, albeit in a smaller way.

Don't leave it so long in getting back to me please.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions