Pay It Forward - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Pay It Forward

Have you guys thought about creating a new "Pay It Forward" Sub-Forums under Classifieds. If you have I missed the Memo.

Most of us have tons of parts that can go to a new home for free.

Food for thought...

Thanks,

Pedro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is this you ploy to get more stuff you don't need?!?
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf
Like the single shots of grease!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
he claims he needs those for the Series, although I suspect that they are still sitting on his shelf
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
You still doings shots?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Just put the word free in the title?
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
No man. I want to give shit away for free.

Quote:
Hater... I paid for those $10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Just put the word free in the title?
I can do that too... I'll be posting free parts pretty soon.

I thought it could be a good idea to give free parts and/or trade.
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its a great idea for a board like this, you create a sub-forum under classifieds where people can post items they want to pass on.
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:44 AM
WildBoar
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110

Registry
Agree. I have boxes of smaller parts I would pay forward if needed.
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:16 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Its a great idea for a board like this, you create a sub-forum under classifieds where people can post items they want to pass on.
I know... That's why I suggested it.

Let's peer pressure them into it...
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I have passed this on the the powers that be to think about, but if you recall we recently thought making a "sold" sub forum was a good idea and it turned out to be a flop. The main issue I see is that this would be yet another place to look if you are interested in for sale items, as you can't look at them both at once. Unless you have string search foo, you may miss things searching

Hence my suggestion of just using the tried and tested method of saying free in the title to get people's attention (works for searching as well). Nothing get's people's attention like the word free

But feel free to pressure away - it's not my decision to make.
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
I have passed this on the the powers that be to think about, but if you recall we recently thought making a "sold" sub forum was a good idea and it turned out to be a flop. The main issue I see is that this would be yet another place to look if you are interested in for sale items, as you can't look at them both at once. Unless you have string search foo, you may miss things searching

Hence my suggestion of just using the tried and tested method of saying free in the title to get people's attention (works for searching as well). Nothing get's people's attention like the word free

But feel free to pressure away - it's not my decision to make.
I was being funny about the peer pressure.

The reason I asked for a new Sub-Forum is to weed out the FREE stuff. IMO it might clutter the For Sale section and will be more difficult to find/discern the free part.

If you are selling, it should be in the For Sale section.

P
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:30 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
The reason I asked for a new Sub-Forum is to weed out the FREE stuff. IMO it might clutter the For Sale section and will be more difficult to find/discern the free part.
Think about it for a moment. This is highly unlikely.
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:34 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Think about it for a moment. This is highly unlikely.
Unless the "seller" puts FREE X Part... it might not, right?

Some times we will forget to put the FREE... Just saying... I'll go back to work.
Old July 5th, 2012, 05:24 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
I know... That's why I suggested it.

Let's peer pressure them into it...
It seems like common sense to promote the image and atmosphere of the d-90.com community! At least give it a try and see how it does, you really never know until you give it a chance. And if it doesn't take off, what harm is it to the board? Its not like its gonna crash because members are being nice.

Also, how can you compare this idea to the idea of a sold forum Charles?? Seems to me that once the item has been converted into $, expecting anything more from the original poster than typing "sold" in their original posting is pretty ambitious, and often that much isn't even gonna happen. Giving people money has the strange power to make them forget certain things and remember new ones.
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
The problem with the sold forum had nothing to do with getting people to mark things sold (although we did botch moving older ones into a single archive which likely increased peoples perceptions of difficulties with this). The problem with that, and which I think will apply here too is that some people will view it as proliferation of forums with little to no benefit and in fact make it harder to search across both. I like to think if the "Free" forum was a sub forum of "For Sale - Parts" then searching at the top level would search both but I am unsure. Either way it's possible in an advanced search for sure, but people complained about this last time. It might have been a vocal minority, let me find the thread....

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ght=sold+forum

I dunno, seems like horsey was the main one to object but I know it didn't go down well.

I didn't say I didn't like the idea - but I think I'm entitled to an opinion aren't I? I thought about it and made what I think is a pragmatic and effective suggestion to achieve the same thing - put free in the title. I can assure you we are not going to get overrun with people trying to give stuff away in either scenario, and I fail to see what the hardship is of having someone who intends to give something away type in 4 additional letters which explain their intent quiet clearly when they post. If they have the will to give it away I am sure this is no burden.

Aain it's not my decision to make and you guys need to give others a chance to see this and chime in. I am not trying to persuade you to not lobby for it, but in short be patient

2 or 3 members have chimed in constructively on this, an equal number just shooting the shit so I can't tell if they are for or against it. I assume if there is enough interest it will show and if no-one comes up with serious reasons not to, Andy will give it a go once he sees it (like he has for most suggestions put forward).
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW on the ADV forum there is a post with a FREE in the title. Anyone can post to the thread and it's first come first served. OP is updated when item is given away and shipping is the responsibility of the recieveing party.

IE: I would post up in the FREE Stuff thread "XZL tires, 4 pretty worn, some tread left, etc..."
JoeUser posts up next saying he wants them as he is local.
I revise my OP to indicate they are spoken for, and then again when they are gone.

One thread to review, usually stays near the top as long as people have free stuff to give away.
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:35 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Seems to be working just fine for Bill!
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...260#post358260
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

2 cents - the LRR forum has a Pay it Forward. The title in itself provides food for thought that if you are going to post something for free and are Paying it Forward, that gets posters and recipients to think about the forum as a community to not just sell parts to make money but help keep the trucks on the road. IMHO. I do see both sides of the argument as it does create more administrative work for those folks that keep up the site.
Also, I would be willing to make a donation to Administration fund of this site as if it were gone I would have to find other ways not to work during work.
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I like the idea and I'm impartial to it being it's own forum or just using the "free" title. either seems practical to me. if it stays in the for sale section, I think a sticky on standardizing a group norm for for free and pay it forward assumptions and etiquette is a good idea. I would also be interested in some rules around some filters (perhaps rule based) to make sure we don't get non-Rover trolls over here looking for free stuff they can grab and sell on ebay. want the stuff to go to other Defender owners only.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions