More sub sections - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old July 7th, 2016, 03:01 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
More sub sections

While I am new to this particular forum, I have been using car forums for many years now. One thing I noticed that this site is lacking in sub-forums for various topics, making it more difficult to find information, and having to pollute one sub forum with somewhat unrelated topics. I understand this decision in the forums infancy, without many users, there would be many empty sub sections. At this point with so many active users I doubt this would be an issue.

My suggestion is to add more sub-forums such as Interior/Exterior, Lighting/Electrical, Wheels/Tires, Engine, LS Swap, Brakes/Steering/Suspension, Transmission, Service/Maintenance, Custom Fabrication, Parts reviews sections broken out

Only a suggestion, thanks for the great site

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2016, 09:55 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I've actually always thought the absolute opposite of those forums with 30 sub-forums. It's very difficult to get involved and the transparency is low.
Old July 7th, 2016, 10:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Fixing the search function would do wonders. -Jeff
Doesn't seem like that's happening in our lifetimes. You can also Google search using Defendersource as the site source filter.

If you can think of one key word identifier that'll help narrow your thread down, try that.

As it is, people start threads in completely inaccurate subs - if we added 10 more it'd create 10x more work for mods and people would still just start new threads before looking around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Interesting question.
As the mod on another forum, I've seen it go both ways. Traditionally we split everything up. Model years, tires, electronics, towing etc, just as you like. From time to time, we consolidate little used sections of the forum.
Then the new model comes along, and the latest folk want everything all lumped in together. After a while I just shrugged and let them have it the way they wanted.

As for D source, I like it just as it is thank you.
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:00 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
We come to this forum because we drive/own old, clunky, hand made, loud, hot, leaky, breakdown prone English 4x4 vehicles with Lucas electrics that began to corrode the day they were made. Why would we want a fancy dancy slick forum with a Search Function that works and no soul? Makes no sense to me, might as well buy a Jeep JK.
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:39 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I pretty much only use the "recent discussions" window up there in the corner. If its not there I'm not reading it.
Old July 8th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I pretty much only use the "recent discussions" window up there in the corner. If its not there I'm not reading it.
X2 (or actually anyone who uses this forum as most of us do.)
Old July 8th, 2016, 01:16 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
X2 (or actually anyone who uses this forum as most of us do.)
Agreed.

With that said a modern Rover section (LR3, LR4, RR) would be nice.
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
There should be an LS swap section for the riffraff
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:01 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Agreed. With that said a modern Rover section (LR3, LR4, RR) would be nice.
There is already a dedicated land rovers that suck thread.
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:16 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
I am a full stack software engineer. I do everything from database design, write backend search algorithms, user interface design. I just finished building a legal data search engine for one of the largest law firms in the world.

It is much easier to find what you are looking for both as a user and programmatically if you have data (threads) separated into smaller buckets (sub forums) rather than everything in one big bucket.

I would divide the one sub forum into many, have assigned members or mods go through the top threads from the past 3 months and sort them into the new sub forums, then archive the rest so that it is searchable but not able to have create new threads. The recent posts section on the right hand side would remain unchanged.

My feelings is that the sub division of this forum would be most helpful for new members. It makes disseminating information a lot easier as you can go to a topic area, read up on various subject areas. Instead unless the area you are interested is trending in the single bucket you need to do a targeted keyword search which may or may not come up with what you want because of the additional noise created by doing a wild card search in one big hopper (single word hits in unrelated threads).

As time goes on and Defenders get cheaper in USA there is going to be a sea of new members in flowing. The harder you make it to find information the more redundant topics will be created. Sub forums, while not a complete solution, will help to reduce this.

I am very tech savvy user and very automotive competent and even I have a hard time disseminating information here. I feel like some of the senior members here lose sight of that because they have been around so long and are so familiar with stuff at this point that you don't see the issue.

That being said I respect the decisions of the forum admins and opinions of its users.
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:25 AM
scrubs
henery

At the very least a diesel n gas separation sections
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:49 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I've actually always thought the absolute opposite of those forums with 30 sub-forums. It's very difficult to get involved and the transparency is low.
I totally agree.

Some of the other forums I go to have it split down so minutely that it just isn't fun to browse.

Take Powerstroke.org - you'll have each of the engines and body style (7.3 OBS / 7.3 PS / 6.0 / etc - which makes total sense). But each of those sub forums gets broken down into at least one more root: Interior / Exterior / Performance and 4 or 5 more. We are doing a shackle lift on the F250 - do I look in Exterior or Performance or Problems? And I find each sub-forum only has a couple new posts a day and of those posts there is only a page maybe 2 of threads.

On D-90.com I like seeing all the different threads. It's like flipping thru a newspaper or magazine. And to make it even more simple the phone app (which I use 95% of the time) throws all the threads into one line. I just hit the Current list and browse.
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:50 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Maybe just a hall of wisdom subforum with threads related to really popular topics that have recurring searches/ new threads.
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:06 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I totally agree.

Some of the other forums I go to have it split down so minutely that it just isn't fun to browse.

Take Powerstroke.org - you'll have each of the engines and body style (7.3 OBS / 7.3 PS / 6.0 / etc - which makes total sense). But each of those sub forums gets broken down into at least one more root: Interior / Exterior / Performance and 4 or 5 more. We are doing a shackle lift on the F250 - do I look in Exterior or Performance or Problems? And I find each sub-forum only has a couple new posts a day and of those posts there is only a page maybe 2 of threads.

On D-90.com I like seeing all the different threads. It's like flipping thru a newspaper or magazine. And to make it even more simple the phone app (which I use 95% of the time) throws all the threads into one line. I just hit the Current list and browse.
There would have to be a balance in the amount of subdivision. You can go too far. I'm not advocating for such extreme division like you are using as an example. Merely separating engine threads from suspension from lighting.

Your issue of ease of browsing can be resolved too. A "recent topics" sub forum that is a query of the most posted threads. Roughly "Select all threads from all sub forums where last post date is less then 2 weeks order by last post date decending". On the furthest right hand column display what sub forum it is pulled from.

That way you can have it both ways.

The search engine would also work better. I am sure of it. I get paid good money to do this stuff.
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Fixing the search function would do wonders.

-Jeff
Exactly!.... and maybe a RRC section.

I just helped with the creation of a new forum (wood surfboards), and vBulletin 5 search feature works like one would hope. Maybe it's time for a software upgrade for D-Source.
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:43 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I totally agree. Some of the other forums I go to have it split down so minutely that it just isn't fun to browse. Take Powerstroke.org - you'll have each of the engines and body style (7.3 OBS / 7.3 PS / 6.0 / etc - which makes total sense). But each of those sub forums gets broken down into at least one more root: Interior / Exterior / Performance and 4 or 5 more. We are doing a shackle lift on the F250 - do I look in Exterior or Performance or Problems? And I find each sub-forum only has a couple new posts a day and of those posts there is only a page maybe 2 of threads. On D-90.com I like seeing all the different threads. It's like flipping thru a newspaper or magazine. And to make it even more simple the phone app (which I use 95% of the time) throws all the threads into one line. I just hit the Current list and browse.
Same here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions