Introduction and a question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old August 28th, 2014, 02:47 PM
DRLandRover
Donna Riley
94 Defender Soft Top

Introduction and a question

I just registered as a new member, but have been reading the forum for almost a year. You all have given me a lot of help and encouragement (thanks!) Being a newbie I had nothing to offer, so I didn't register. Also, I'm afraid of posting in the wrong place, or saying the wrong thing, or being redundant. So sorry in advance if I have/do.
After wanting one forever, I bought a '94 D90 about a year ago. Although it was not in bad shape, I started to try to make it a bit better. I had no idea what I was getting into or how addictive these LR's are. I know you can all relate.
The repairs are where my questions stem from. I wanted it to be quiet enough to carry on a conversation at least at a shouting level. So with help from SafariHP and two tries, I got floor mats. Steve at Rovers North encouraged me to rebuild the seats and also install seat heaters (among many other things.) Whatever your opinion about seat heaters in a Rover, yes, I might be a candypants, but I'm warm. I also installed a new console and the flat metal bit that goes between it and the seat box. Finally, Chris at Badger made me a gorgeous top (cheers Chris!) So what I have are some leftover bits and I was wondering if they are worth anything. I did look on eBay, but could not find anything. Could anyone please let me know if they might have any value, or if I should put them under the area where you send things to people free if they pay shipping? Thanks in advance for any opinions! I have photos if anyone is interested.
Seat cushions, back and seat - set of two. No headrest cushions - I had to reuse them.
Seat covers. Used, with wear. No perfect. But if your dog has attacked yours, not too bad.
Flat metal panel that goes between console and seat box. There is an additional hole in it for wiring. Not flat. Needs to be pounded flat.
Original console box - looks bad to me, but I think it is original.
Original top - It didn't fit very nicely. The back window seemed to have shrunk and flapped around. It had a zipper that I believe would have worked if the fabric/plastic hadn't shrunk. Also, a bit of a gap around the front windows. Grey... with a little red on it from someone too lazy to remove it before waxing/buffing. I took it to a canvas guy who said he could add a bit of fabric and replace the plastic.... It was better than being rained on.
So that's what I have. If it's worth anything, I don't know.
Please let me say thank you again to all of you who have posted the questions I needed answered, and to all of you who enthusiastically share your wealth of knowledge and opinions. You've helped me tremendously.... mostly to know I'm not crazy to love this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Welcome to the forum Donna! No need to be afraid about making mistakes. This crew is only tough on those that deserve it. I think you should take some photos of your parts and post them up in the parts for sale section. Just make sure to add pricing as it is a requirement. You can do a search here to find similar pricing usually. Are you a member of PCRC? For the spares that are not worth shipping there's usually someone local who might want them. The PCRC mailing list is a great place to get rid of those items. Happy to have you on the board finally. Make sure to post some photos of your Defender so that we can all see the improvements that you have made.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old August 28th, 2014, 06:57 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Welcome! Collectively we might seem opinionated but I assure you patience and careful questions will make you a source addict.

I got rid of Facebook and spend the majority of my time contributing sweet nothings to this board. It's a smart bunch of rover enthusiasts who could collectively fill a few books that no one but forum members would buy!

Congrats on the truck, we always ask for pics of the truck so we can envy your beautiful bits and help you with those areas that need improvement.

Happy hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:05 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Hey there Donna. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Defender! The Defender Source is a great community and a treasure trove of info. I still cant decide wether I am addicted to Rovers or addicted to the people I meet who also willingly partake of the Rover affliction.....

I am sure you will find a buyer for your parts. Better to sell the stuff than become a hoarder.

Best,

Chuck
Old August 28th, 2014, 10:09 PM
DRLandRover
Donna Riley
94 Defender Soft Top

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestions! I'd love to share some photos, but could someone please tell me where? Is that the registry? Sorry, just don't want to put anything in the wrong place!
As far as groups go, I've admired everyone who participates in the forum for months. So much good advice, information and humor.... all from a common addiction. Thanks again!
Old August 28th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Just click the "Go Advanced" button.
Then click the little paper clip icon.
You will then see the browse buttons.
Click on one the top one and browse your files for a good picture to show us.
Then click the red "upload button".
Finally you scroll down and click the "Submit Reply" button.
You can also click the "preview Post" button to see if it worked.
Old August 28th, 2014, 11:44 PM
DRLandRover
Donna Riley
94 Defender Soft Top

Thank you for taking the time to help me!! I'll post them tomorrow. Thanks! Your car is amazing!
D.
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Welcome aboard! If you are free Saturday you should head down to Portland for the All British Field Meet at PIR - should be a few dozen defenders on the field and many of the local forum folks will be there as well.

Brian
Old August 29th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Oh and I almost forgot, welcome aboard! Now let's see that truck!
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:03 PM
DRLandRover
Donna Riley
94 Defender Soft Top

These are the photos you asked for

The first photos are with the old grey top. One is of my 16 year old helping to install the side rails so I could stop hopping to get in. The final few are of it after my husband recently had it waxed and the new Badger top put on. The tail gate bar hasn't come in yet, so I can't attach the back window. But worth noting are the skylight and alpine windows that Chris at Badger very, very kindly put it. I'd like to add more accessories, but need to learn to drive it off-road better first! What do you think of it??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	101793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	101794  

Name:	IMG_2225.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	101795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2243.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	101796  

Name:	P1180169.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	101797   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180176.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	101798  

Name:	P1180184.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	101799  
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Truck looks great! You should most definitely get out on some of the drive events with the NWOS group - next meet and greet is tomorrow in Georgetown.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:38 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Looks great! Check your oil cooler lines coming from the radiator to the engine oil filter to see if they've ever been replaced. Lots of threads on this board about this very important topic. Not to scare you off but due to age and heat, they could burst and cause a fire because they are routed near the exhaust manifold, which gets very hot. You want to have them replaced with stainless steel braided versions from Eric at http://www.trailhead4x4.com/30464.html. Welcome!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:52 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
A really sweet looking truck! Awsome that your son is turning wrenches on it. My first car was a $400 1970 Series IIa with crusty frame and a cracked block and head. I didn't have Mother Goose helping me out though

P.S. Glad you got the pictures up!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:09 PM
DRLandRover
Donna Riley
94 Defender Soft Top

Seriously?! Your first car was a Series II? How cool is that?!! Do you still have it? OK, the cracked block is not good, but you could look great just working on it! My boys, I have another, do a lot with/for me. They are convinced I need the help and working on it is certainly more fun with them around. This is the perfect car to learn how to use a wrench on, don't you think? They'll never learn on a new car and I think I crawled around under a lot of cars when I was their age trying to figure out what had gone wrong before my dad caught me. (I wasn't allowed to work on cars) It's so fun showing them how to do things.
Can you answer a question for me regarding the series vehicles? My younger son and I were in the supermarket parking lot. There was the most beautiful Series (?). It had everything and was pristine. Here's the question: there was a second level of metal elevated about 1/2" above the roof of the back part of the car. What is that?? It looked like a safari car, or something out of the middle east years ago. Very cool, but do you know the purpose of that layer of metal?
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm glad you think it looks good. It is so much fun. Can't wait to learn to drive off-road!
Donna
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:15 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That is a safari roof. It helps keep the roof "cooler" and allow the roof vents to be open and not let water in. Well in theory. Welcome to the board.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLandRover View Post
there was a second level of metal elevated about 1/2" above the roof of the back part of the car. What is that?? It looked like a safari car, or something out of the middle east years ago. Very cool, but do you know the purpose of that layer of metal?
Donna

Station Wagons were fitted with a "Safari Roof" which consisted of a second roof skin fitted on top of the vehicle. This kept the interior cool in hot weather and reduced condensation in cold weather. Vents fitted in the roof allowed added ventilation to the interior.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:21 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nice goose by the way. I mean that in the most respectful way possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3853606463.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	102013  
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:53 PM
DRLandRover
Donna Riley
94 Defender Soft Top

Thanks for that information. You guys are the best! Also, thanks for making me laugh. Mother Goose is not too far off base at all.
Is it just me, or is that safari top one of the most attractive car parts ever?! It has given me a really good idea. My son needs a first car.... if I found him something fun that needs work it would give us a project, and I could drive it when he goes to (fingers crossed) college. Hmmm...
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:49 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
A Series would be a great first car. My parents loved/hated mine. They loved it because it was slow and prone to breaking down (the PO lived on the beach and drove it in the ocean regularly) so I couldn't get in too much trouble with it. And when it did run I usually took it out to the swamps and promptly broke it. My dad helped me find a 2.25 from some hermit that lived literally in the swamps and had dozens of old rovers laying around in disrepair. The old man dug up a half buried block that had weeds growing out of the cylinders and finally found the head buried in the mud somewhere else. Crazy. Mom hated it because it leaked all over the driveway and would kill the grass when not ruining the driveway. Thus while I was off in the Marines she issued orders to my father to "get that leaky piece of shit out of my driveway!" It was sold and lived out it's life working on a fish farm somewhere down in Hobe Sound, Fl where it was rumored to be still running. Had some great memories in that truck. Seriously though, what's with the goose?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:39 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

My first car was a 1986 Series 3 which I learned to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road in Scotland. After several hours of driving after first picking it up I flew straight through the first stop light in Glasgow. No breaks. A series is a great first car to learn on but knowing how people drive in Washington and learning how to drive in addition to that I would probably steer your son towards something with a roll cage. If you can find a Series with a roll cage go for it. If not perhaps another NAS D90 that needs fixing up?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions