How do you link pictures - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old August 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

How do you link pictures

How do you link pictures from an outside source so that they show up in the body of your post? I know I've seen this somewhere but I've given up on finding it.

Here is an example:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...referrerid=306
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

You need to use the insert picture menu option. Seems to be disabled in the most useful forum areas, but enabled in the test and cooking sections.
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:04 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

Thanks, I see it. Looks like a little yellow square postcard with a mountain range and stamp on it.

CVC What's the story morning glory? Any way you can turn in on everywhere or is it turned off on purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hot-linking is disabled in the forums for various reasons which is why you are having trouble figuring it out. The only reason it's on in the cooking section is that I over looked turning it off when I set the section up.

------ Follow up post added August 28th, 2011 08:42 AM ------

Here is more details why I have them disabled:
Hot-linking, which is what that is, I have disabled for the most part in all of the public posting sections with the exception of the practice area because it a) slows down threads and server while it tries to load each hot-linked item from the outside source every time the page is viewed and b) the info at that link is not controlled by this site, meaning someone could hotlink to something like a picture or data and then change it or remove it entirely and then we have little red X's all over the place. So attachments are stored here on the site and generally will not change locations ever and gets served faster.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:57 AM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc View Post
Hot-linking is disabled in the forums for various reasons which is why you are having trouble figuring it out. The only reason it's on in the cooking section is that I over looked turning it off when I set the section up.

------ Follow up post added August 28th, 2011 08:42 AM ------

Here is more details why I have them disabled:
Hot-linking, which is what that is, I have disabled for the most part in all of the public posting sections with the exception of the practice area because it a) slows down threads and server while it tries to load each hot-linked item from the outside source every time the page is viewed and b) the info at that link is not controlled by this site, meaning someone could hotlink to something like a picture or data and then change it or remove it entirely and then we have little red X's all over the place. So attachments are stored here on the site and generally will not change locations ever and gets served faster.
thats a great idea Chris.......real bad when there are the red x boxes through broken links. Does it use up alot of bandwidth or storage storing the pictures?

Great forum BTW, best U.S. one i have found
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:37 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

Thanks Chris, I assumed that was the reason. I was just trying to save on your storage space since I like posting pic's.
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1G UP View Post
thats a great idea Chris.......real bad when there are the red x boxes through broken links.
Of course, there's the flip side. A well know Rover forum was hacked and all attached photos in old threads are gone. Pros and cons to both approaches with regards to missing photos.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:26 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Of course, there's the flip side. A well know Rover forum was hacked and all attached photos in old threads are gone. Pros and cons to both approaches with regards to missing photos.
Someone has a bad sysadmin... Backups, backups, backups
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
Thanks Chris, I assumed that was the reason. I was just trying to save on your storage space since I like posting pic's.
onsite storage is no problem so post away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Agreed, thats just a matter of running a restore and you are back up and running with minimal loss providing the admin keeps regular backups.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Oh yeah, you can't fix stupid.
Of course, I've known sysadmins who never did disaster recovery testing. I bet you can guess how good all their backups were. LOL

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions