GPS routes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old July 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

GPS routes

I lot of motorcycle forums have a posting section for routes and GPS tracks that other have done. THey are usually followed up with pictures and ride reports. For trails that are legal if might be helpful for people not from the area to download a GPX file for example and load it on and be able to decide the type of trail they want to run.
For example, I lot of the time guys in Moab will link up a bunch of well known trails with unknown forest roads and make it like 150 mile trail. Being able to download another members course with pictures would certianly be a great resource. Naturally, I would only encourage this with trails that are legal for 4x4 use not the kinda illegal but the rangers turn their head longest your in small #'s type deal like out here in the East. Just a thought.
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

If people are willing to add the routes, I will be glad to make a section for them.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I think that is a great idea Stephan. I have some Northeast GPS tracks I can share. And I would also like to get some of the Utah/Colorado area for this fall.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

It could be put under the "Wheelin Section" and maybe it could be broken up by region for easy reference. Nnortheast, West, South etc. I'm happy to start it out with my Baja route!

Follow-up Post:

I would also suggest making such a posting area only accesible to members.
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Maybe we could have some guidelines for posting with a reminder to put in what types of traffic the trail gets. I know the bike sites have things like "watch for Jeeps/4x4" "watch for horses" things like that.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I'll add the section this weekend. In the meantime, keep up the suggestions for the section so I can come up with a way to sort it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
Good idea but The only issue I have with that is, like the old way of members only viewing of pictures, people were creating accounts simply to look at the pictures on the forum and never posting. When I opened up viewing to the public, registration of zero post accounts dropped off greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Good idea but The only issue I have with that is, like the old way of members only viewing of pictures, people were creating accounts simply to look at the pictures on the forum and never posting. When I opened up viewing to the public, registration of zero post accounts dropped off greatly.
Yeah I totally understand, wish there was a better way to keep it among members without. My other questions is will be able to upload the gpx. files somehwere? I know we can attach pictures and stuff but how would be go about uploading the files somewhere so people don't have to do the "if you want this trail email or pm so and so". Maybe this function already exists and I know nothing about it.
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
I agree. It needs to be for members only or something like that. The routes I have aren't really secrets, like Rausch Creek, Pine Barrens, Winter Romp, but I can see how some of the trails you would want to limit to random people coming to the site. I have one of Ringwood State park in NJ, and we go up there to clean up the park of beer bottles, old rusted out cars and whatever else we find. This park is off limits to 4x4s. They lets us go up there to help clean up about 4 times a year. I would hate to have this route get into the hands of some kids that just want to go up there and party and 4 wheel their moms 1994 Dodge Caravan.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
My other questions is will be able to upload the gpx. files somehwere? I know we can attach pictures and stuff but how would be go about uploading the files somewhere so people don't have to do the "if you want this trail email or pm so and so". Maybe this function already exists and I know nothing about it.
Yes, if the system cant recognize an extension it wont allow upload but I can add the extension to the allowed lists of files then members may upload them.

Quote:
[/size]
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

It seems our biggest issue would be keeping trails here in the east to among members to avoid exactly that. I've been through ringwood before, it's a shame what people do up there. it used to be open to 4x4s until a guy got his dodge ram hung up on the gas pipeline. The ranger said the kids almost blew up the mountain grinding the frame on the gas pipe. Unfortunately, we probably should not post routes unless it is understood the 4x4s are allowed on em. Or maybe we could make "sensitive trails" accesible only with the permission of the poster or something.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Yes, if the system cant recognize an extension it wont allow upload but I can add the extension to the allowed lists of files then members may upload them.
Sweet. the files my computer mainly uses are .GPX. I think that's the most common but I know there are others. Maybe someone with more experince with navigation will chime in.
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

The Solihull Society has a GPS section:

http://forum.solihullsociety.org/cph...dex.php?cat=22

Looks like mainly Colorado and Utah (including the Wells books).

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I think we can do better.
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Chris, is this still in the works??
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Say "Yes" to GPS

Before I became obsessed with Rovers, I was obsessed with dual sport motorcylces. Several sites have great GPS sections, and I have downloaded some great tracks. I still find great tracks at:

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

We should do it.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Hey Chris, can we still get this section going?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The best thing, IMO is to make maps. I do this for my area of the world, so if you come up here, use them.

http://www.calgarycachers.net/trailmaps/maps.htm
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sorry I forgot about this one.. let me see about getting a section whipped up this weekend.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Yeah I totally understand, wish there was a better way to keep it among members without. My other questions is will be able to upload the gpx. files somehwere? I know we can attach pictures and stuff but how would be go about uploading the files somewhere so people don't have to do the "if you want this trail email or pm so and so". Maybe this function already exists and I know nothing about it.
The system actually already can handle non-picture uploads like ZIPs, PDFs, DOCs, etc and can accept custom extensions if desired. The zip file route seems to be the best that way people can put the text files descriptions in there as well.

Quote:
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Tags
gps