Editing posts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:20 AM
crown14's Avatar
crown14
Status: Offline
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 44 Nas Row, Inter Net, USA
Posts: 3,285
Registry
Question Editing posts

Can ANYONE please explain the limitations on editing our own posts? Why the fuck can't we edit our own posts at least in the Classifieds section?
__________________
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM
MUDSUX's Avatar
MUDSUX
Status: Offline
Forrest
Like my Tatas?
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl. US
Posts: 1,641
Registry
I have already ask the moderators this very question a few months ago. I can't change the price or update the posts at all. Very annoying.
__________________
MUDSUX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Janet H's Avatar
Janet H
Status: Offline
Janet H
Still Looking....
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eastern WA, USA
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Can ANYONE please explain the limitations on editing our own posts? Why the fuck can't we edit our own posts at least in the Classifieds section?

Posts can be edited for 180 minutes after they are initially made. That should be enough time for fixing typos, adding extra thoughts, etc. The reason that they aren't editable indefinitely (and especially in classifieds) is to prevent situations where (for instance) a deal is struck and then the initial post is edited to change the parameters of the sale. It's to help prevent disputes.

If you need an ad updated please message a site team member for help. Alternatively you could post an update to your thread. This is pretty effective because folks read the latest posts but rarely go back and reread posts they have already read.

Alternately we can remove the ad and you can post a new one.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
MUDSUX's Avatar
MUDSUX
Status: Offline
Forrest
Like my Tatas?
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl. US
Posts: 1,641
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
.......The reason that they aren't editable indefinitely (and especially in classifieds) is to prevent situations where (for instance) a deal is struck and then the initial post is edited to change the parameters of the sale. It's to help prevent disputes..
I understand the reasoning, but with this reasoning you are assuming most people on this forum is dishonest and not trustworthy. It seems to me this is not the case.
__________________
MUDSUX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,790
There is clear value to the edit in classified where a seller lists a number of items which sell over time. Seller should be allowed to edit the original listing reflecting all the licking that's happened.
(something in that last bit just don't sound right)
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:23 AM
crown14's Avatar
crown14
Status: Offline
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 44 Nas Row, Inter Net, USA
Posts: 3,285
Registry
Off the top of my head I cannot remember any incident here of someone editing a post to change the parameters of a sale. I can however, remember many, many times that I desperately needed to edit a post for clarity, to correct a typo, or for pricing updates.
__________________
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Off the top of my head I cannot remember any incident here of someone editing a post to change the parameters of a sale. I can however, remember many, many times that I desperately needed to edit a post for clarity, to correct a typo, or for pricing updates.
you can edit ... but only for a short time ...

<this is an edit>

------ Follow up post added November 9th, 2012 09:32 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I understand the reasoning, but with this reasoning you are assuming most people on this forum is dishonest and not trustworthy. It seems to me this is not the case.
or that the current regulations are ensuring this doesn't occur ... that's not a slur on people just a different interpretation of the evidence.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
woldd90's Avatar
woldd90
Status: Offline
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
you can edit ... but only for a short time ...

<this is an edit>
With the current rules you can edit for an hour...
__________________
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM
crown14's Avatar
crown14
Status: Offline
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 44 Nas Row, Inter Net, USA
Posts: 3,285
Registry
No further input from the admins, figures.
__________________
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Janet H's Avatar
Janet H
Status: Offline
Janet H
Still Looking....
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eastern WA, USA
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Off the top of my head I cannot remember any incident here of someone editing a post to change the parameters of a sale. I can however, remember many, many times that I desperately needed to edit a post for clarity, to correct a typo, or for pricing updates.
Not every transgression and member dispute is aired for the entire community to weigh in on; in general moderator/member issues are private and settled between the involved parties. This is privacy issue and a common courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
No further input from the admins, figures.
If you need to update a sale thread, the best way to get the word out about a change is to post to the thread - this bumps the thread up for readers. Frankly, folks just don't go back and read content they've already read looking for changes. As an example of this... I've gone back and edited my earlier post to reflect a small change to the edit window (1 hour to 3 hours) but anyone following this thread would never know as they've already read that post


However, if you need an edit, any site team member will be glad to help out, just ask.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM
chrisvonc's Avatar
chrisvonc
Status: Offline
Chris von C
No Defender at this time
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Va
Posts: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Can ANYONE please explain the limitations on editing our own posts? Why the fuck can't we edit our own posts at least in the Classifieds section?
Nothing has changed from the explaination you got the last time you asked this earlier this year:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37468

This issue has been discussed a few times on the site publicly, as far back as 2006:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...86&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc View Post
I think I have it set up that only the Classified section has tighter editing restrictions than the rest of the sections in that after X amount of time from the original posting, the initial post in the thread cant be edited. There were some reported disputes of sales on items not being how they were described in the original posting and it was found that items description or details were altered after the sale, or removed completely.

If you have an update or change for an item you are selling like new pictures, info change, or sold, you can just make a follow up post in the exisiting thread with the new info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I understand the reasoning, but with this reasoning you are assuming most people on this forum is dishonest and not trustworthy. It seems to me this is not the case.
But this was the case and it was happening, which is why the policy in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Off the top of my head I cannot remember any incident here of someone editing a post to change the parameters of a sale. I can however, remember many, many times that I desperately needed to edit a post for clarity, to correct a typo, or for pricing updates.
Thats because you joined AFTER these incidents happened which again, is the reason I put the policy in place and stopped the practice. Again, if you need a "desperate" change, PM a Mod with what you needed edited, or simply bump the thread with a correction post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
No further input from the admins, figures.
You asked and it was explained to you, again for the 2nd time. I dont understand what further input do you need.
__________________
Chris von C

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM
Antichrist's Avatar
Antichrist
Status: Offline
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I've gone back and edited my earlier post to reflect a small change to the edit window (1 hour to 3 hours) but anyone following this thread would never know as they've already read that post
Or because there's no indication of that there was even an edit, much less the edit was (assuming you're referring to post #3).

Classifieds I don't care too much about, but I can certainly see the benefit of being able to go back and edit a technical post. As an example, I've found typos in part numbers I've posted, sometimes months later, and like the ability to correct them. I also typically make a note of what the edit was. Except on this forum of course since I can't make the correction.
An option for allowing perpetual edits, but prevent shenanigans if it's a problem, would be to only allow adding strikethrough tags. But that might be more work that it's worth.
__________________
Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:53 PM
crown14's Avatar
crown14
Status: Offline
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 44 Nas Row, Inter Net, USA
Posts: 3,285
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrist
An option for allowing perpetual edits, but prevent shenanigans if it's a problem, would be to only allow adding strikethrough tags. But that might be more work that it's worth.
Great idea! It would solve everyone's problems. Also, if the original post content was not rewriteable and edit content could be displayed within the post window but clearly seperate from the original message text there would be no issues.



And Chris... thanks for pointing out that this has been an ongoing problem with D90 Source! I have a question though, would you say the site, and number of admins watching over it has changed any in the past six years?

If nothing else, the amount of mobile users making and responding to threads here in the present day calls for the ability to edit posts. Why have apps that allow people with mobile devices to stay more connected to your message board and then severely restrict their ability to say what they actually wanted to say? Not everyone gets it right the first time. All we want is a pencil with an eraser instead of a sharpie.
__________________
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we edit our posts? crown14 Support & Suggestions 5 May 14th, 2012 09:54 AM
Really Blocking People's Posts founD90 Support & Suggestions 5 March 16th, 2012 01:37 PM
Replying to posts via email chrisvonc Community News & Announcements 0 June 18th, 2004 12:35 PM
New Posts timeout loykd Support & Suggestions 10 May 24th, 2004 08:43 PM
Bench Seat Posts Billakris Defender Technical Discussions 4 March 31st, 2004 07:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Copyright