Editing posts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old October 29th, 2012, 10:20 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Question Editing posts

Can ANYONE please explain the limitations on editing our own posts? Why the fuck can't we edit our own posts at least in the Classifieds section?
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I have already ask the moderators this very question a few months ago. I can't change the price or update the posts at all. Very annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Janet H
Janet H
Still Looking....
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Can ANYONE please explain the limitations on editing our own posts? Why the fuck can't we edit our own posts at least in the Classifieds section?

Posts can be edited for 180 minutes after they are initially made. That should be enough time for fixing typos, adding extra thoughts, etc. The reason that they aren't editable indefinitely (and especially in classifieds) is to prevent situations where (for instance) a deal is struck and then the initial post is edited to change the parameters of the sale. It's to help prevent disputes.

If you need an ad updated please message a site team member for help. Alternatively you could post an update to your thread. This is pretty effective because folks read the latest posts but rarely go back and reread posts they have already read.

Alternately we can remove the ad and you can post a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
.......The reason that they aren't editable indefinitely (and especially in classifieds) is to prevent situations where (for instance) a deal is struck and then the initial post is edited to change the parameters of the sale. It's to help prevent disputes..
I understand the reasoning, but with this reasoning you are assuming most people on this forum is dishonest and not trustworthy. It seems to me this is not the case.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There is clear value to the edit in classified where a seller lists a number of items which sell over time. Seller should be allowed to edit the original listing reflecting all the licking that's happened.
(something in that last bit just don't sound right)

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:23 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Off the top of my head I cannot remember any incident here of someone editing a post to change the parameters of a sale. I can however, remember many, many times that I desperately needed to edit a post for clarity, to correct a typo, or for pricing updates.
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Off the top of my head I cannot remember any incident here of someone editing a post to change the parameters of a sale. I can however, remember many, many times that I desperately needed to edit a post for clarity, to correct a typo, or for pricing updates.
you can edit ... but only for a short time ...

<this is an edit>

------ Follow up post added November 9th, 2012 09:32 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I understand the reasoning, but with this reasoning you are assuming most people on this forum is dishonest and not trustworthy. It seems to me this is not the case.
or that the current regulations are ensuring this doesn't occur ... that's not a slur on people just a different interpretation of the evidence.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
you can edit ... but only for a short time ...

<this is an edit>
With the current rules you can edit for an hour...

Old November 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No further input from the admins, figures.
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Janet H
Janet H
Still Looking....
Site Team

Quote:
Not every transgression and member dispute is aired for the entire community to weigh in on; in general moderator/member issues are private and settled between the involved parties. This is privacy issue and a common courtesy.

Quote:
If you need to update a sale thread, the best way to get the word out about a change is to post to the thread - this bumps the thread up for readers. Frankly, folks just don't go back and read content they've already read looking for changes. As an example of this... I've gone back and edited my earlier post to reflect a small change to the edit window (1 hour to 3 hours) but anyone following this thread would never know as they've already read that post

However, if you need an edit, any site team member will be glad to help out, just ask.
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Nothing has changed from the explaination you got the last time you asked this earlier this year:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37468

This issue has been discussed a few times on the site publicly, as far back as 2006:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...86&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc View Post
I think I have it set up that only the Classified section has tighter editing restrictions than the rest of the sections in that after X amount of time from the original posting, the initial post in the thread cant be edited. There were some reported disputes of sales on items not being how they were described in the original posting and it was found that items description or details were altered after the sale, or removed completely.

If you have an update or change for an item you are selling like new pictures, info change, or sold, you can just make a follow up post in the exisiting thread with the new info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
But this was the case and it was happening, which is why the policy in place.

Quote:
Thats because you joined AFTER these incidents happened which again, is the reason I put the policy in place and stopped the practice. Again, if you need a "desperate" change, PM a Mod with what you needed edited, or simply bump the thread with a correction post.

Quote:
You asked and it was explained to you, again for the 2nd time. I dont understand what further input do you need.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I've gone back and edited my earlier post to reflect a small change to the edit window (1 hour to 3 hours) but anyone following this thread would never know as they've already read that post
Or because there's no indication of that there was even an edit, much less the edit was (assuming you're referring to post #3).

Classifieds I don't care too much about, but I can certainly see the benefit of being able to go back and edit a technical post. As an example, I've found typos in part numbers I've posted, sometimes months later, and like the ability to correct them. I also typically make a note of what the edit was. Except on this forum of course since I can't make the correction.
An option for allowing perpetual edits, but prevent shenanigans if it's a problem, would be to only allow adding strikethrough tags. But that might be more work that it's worth.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:53 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrist
An option for allowing perpetual edits, but prevent shenanigans if it's a problem, would be to only allow adding strikethrough tags. But that might be more work that it's worth.
Great idea! It would solve everyone's problems. Also, if the original post content was not rewriteable and edit content could be displayed within the post window but clearly seperate from the original message text there would be no issues.

And Chris... thanks for pointing out that this has been an ongoing problem with D90 Source! I have a question though, would you say the site, and number of admins watching over it has changed any in the past six years?

If nothing else, the amount of mobile users making and responding to threads here in the present day calls for the ability to edit posts. Why have apps that allow people with mobile devices to stay more connected to your message board and then severely restrict their ability to say what they actually wanted to say? Not everyone gets it right the first time. All we want is a pencil with an eraser instead of a sharpie.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions