Create a "SOLD" Section in the Classifieds - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:39 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Create a "SOLD" Section in the Classifieds

Many forums similar to D-90.com utilize a 'SOLD' section that is very beneficial for it's users because:

1. We don't waste our time looking at vehicles and parts that have already sold
2. Reduces the 'clutter' in the for sale sections
3. Provides us with a place to go to see what similar parts have sold for to help when pricing items

The moderators simply move the thread over to the SOLD section once it is apparent that it has indeed sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Janet H
Janet H
Still Looking....
Site Team

Great idea - thanks for the suggestion.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

The classifieds archive is a start but I stand by the SOLD section instead as most reasonably priced items sell quickly so an item that has sold potentially sits in the FOR SALE section for 5 months and 29 days? On the contrary, an item that is still available may end up in the classifieds archive for no other reason than it hasn't sold in the allotted time.

It will be an EXCELLENT addition to this site. I am on many different forums and D90 is well managed but badly needs a SOLD section, not a "classifieds older than". Nothing is LOST- simply moved to a more suitable location once it is no longer available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
moving everything around just causes confusion. Flagging a thread as sold and keeping it where it is accomplishes the same thing as long as you can filter it out of your search (or be the only thing you search on), or see a sold icon to the left of the thread before opening it.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Why post something in a FOR SALE section that is, in fact, NOT for sale??? That, along with little icons, is the definition of confusion.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The problem with that idea is it requires someone to manually read each thread and move them when they figure things are sold. There are 12000+ classified threads.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The problem with that idea is it requires someone to manually read each thread and move them when they figure things are sold. There are 12000+ classified threads.
Exactly - I pointed that out in the other thread. It would have to be driven by the Original Poster to mark his/her thread as sold, not the moderator's responsibility. Who knows how often he/she would even mark their items as sold or go back to manage them appropriately.

This was my idea though, if there is in fact going to be a change in the way For Sales are stored on this site. If the original poster has marked his/her thread as SOLD, it gets an Icon on the front page so you can either open it or not open it.

Also, in the Advanced search, you can have the option to search only items that are marked as sold, filter them out, or have everything show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sold 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	48490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sold flag.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	48491  

Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The problem with that idea is it requires someone to manually read each thread and move them when they figure things are sold.
No, it doesn't.

Josh and I's ideas are merged! Using a simple macro code whereby when someone clicks on the 'SOLD' icon it is AUTOMATICALLY moved to the SOLD section, where it belongs.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyver_007 View Post
No, it doesn't.

Josh and I's ideas are merged! Using a simple macro code whereby when someone clicks on the 'SOLD' icon it is AUTOMATICALLY moved to the SOLD section, where it belongs.
Which requires the OP to mark it as sold. This will happen maybe 10% of the time....
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

OK, so just throw the entire idea out the door because you think that 90% of D90 users are too apathetic to click a box on their for sale ad that they are undoubtedly paying close attention to once they are successful in their sale? Sure, there will be those that forget or otherwise don't follow up but I would bet that situation is less than 10% rather than 90%... and in such cases we, as the responsible users, can take issue.

There is no failure except in not trying.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I like the way Josh is thinking, even going to the trouble of demonstrating the enhancement through his example images. I think Matt is right and D-90 can always make it a condition of assigning items in the 'For Sale' section that once sold, they must follow thro' and mark them as such. Nothing is perfect but these ideas on the whole offer a significant improvement. Nobody wants the responsibility for this admin function to fall on Mods/Admin but rather let the Members run with it and threaten any wrong-doer's with being relegated to the 'Naughty Section' for a couple of hours to teach them a lesson. Make them write, "I must not forget to mark my items as sold 50 gazillion times."
Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I would also like to block any and all Canadians from posting in US For Sale threads, especially if the original poster has written "Price for XY is $xx.xx shipped."
Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Ha ha! Please don't do that. It breaks my heart whenever I see the abbreviation, CONUS. I really don't mind paying a shipping mark-up because of where I'm located.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:22 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I would also like to block any and all Canadians from posting in US For Sale threads, especially if the original poster has written "Price for XY is $xx.xx shipped."
LOL!!!! ya kill me.

I being a frequent-or of the classifieds would diffenitely click the box on the crap that I sold once its gone! It would also cut down on the PMs or additional posts asking if the item sold yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions