Classified Archive? WTF? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old February 24th, 2012, 01:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Classified Archive? WTF?

What's up with the new Classified Archive? Everything older than August 16th 2011 got dumped in there? Makes it hard to search stuff when I know where it is/was. You guys are screwing with my photographic memory! Instead of searching in the "Wanted" section where I know something was, it's actually now in the Classified Archive.

What does the Classified Archive accomplish?

Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
stop bitching! you still found it im sure.
=)
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Freeing up space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
stop bitching! you still found it im sure.
=)

You say that now. It has other ramifications, too.

Example: I found you a mint LE with 18k miles, but I can't tell you that here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32683
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:00 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
oh.... like you cant re-open it or add to it.

yeah - what gives guy!!! =) i need an LE.
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think the intent was for it to be for sold items only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:30 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I can see that being a bit of a biggy. Makes perfect sense for 'sold' postings and maybe even ones that are pretty ancient but for everything else, the 'sell by date' hasn't been reached. Is that fair to say?
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Are people really looking at for sale threads that have not been active in 6 months? If the item was still on the market, you would think the OP would bump it within 6 months....
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I still have tons of crap in the for sale forum still for sale. I figure people would do a search for what they are looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Are people really looking at for sale threads that have not been active in 6 months? If the item was still on the market, you would think the OP would bump it within 6 months....
It's classifieds in general - Wanted, For Sale, etc. the Classifieds Archive is now a catch all.

And it does make perfect sense to be able to post in a wanted, for sale, etc. Even after a few months especially since so many threads go unresolved or open-ended, and as these parts continue to become NLA, and we source different places to replace them. i.e. rear bench seat seatbelts, or to bump old threads where someone has said they'd manufacture something and haven't yet delivered on that promise.

And lastly (but certainly not least) there are many on this board who have subscribed to certain For Sale Vehicle threads, and when the vehicle comes up for sale again and the thread is bumped, that person has a better shot at that truck. Hell, that blue 90 ST that caught fire a few months back is a great example - the seller had subscribed to his original thread, so when I bumped it he was able to tell us some kids threw gas on it and set it up in flames.

Way more reasons to keep them opened than closed.
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Is there way to set up a VB script so that if a thread is posted to, it automatically moves back to the for sale section it came from?

Would need to unlock the classifieds section of course.

The reverse to that being if a thread in one of the for sale sections goes a set amount of time with no new posts then it moves to the classifieds.

Less hassle on the Mods having to move stuff around and less clutter in the for sale sections.

Just an idea?
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:11 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

It is a pointless section. I have searched on here and come across items that were posted 2 years ago and bought them from the seller. Sometimes you don't bump the thread or maybe you just sold some of your things and still have others. I could see if a part was sold them maybe you archive it. Its a very small community.... we are not like ADVrider with millions of people selling and buying all day long.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
100% off topic, but Josh the other day you posted a link that was a way to view all posts from the past 24hrs. I can't seem to find it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
At the top of each page it says "new posts" click on that.
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Bump. I'm still trying to figure out the usefulness of this change? Seems like the consensus is that having these kept open and in their original place is the way to go.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

A member suggested this change, we discussed it and decided a change could help keep things more tidy. The classifieds are a huge part of this site and we should try to make that section better. That being said, Joshua has a point and we should step back and rethink the best way to do this. We'll work on reverting the changes and then outline some specs for a new system to help us keep this section better kept in the future.
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Thanks Andy. Glad to see my bitching actually accomplished something! I don't do it often (I think), but when I do, it's usually for a good reason (I hope).

Thre is merit in the suggestion that the For Sale - Parts and/or For Sale - Vehicles have the functionality for the original poster to mark his/her threads as sold. Someone looking for something specific for sale might want to go into (for example) Advanced Search --> For Sale - Parts --> and have the functionality to uncheck a box that says "sold" if they only want to see threads that the original poster has not marked as sold yet. The threads would still remain in their original place, but they could just be filtered out of a search. Obviously, the original poster may not mark his threads as sold, even when the item/vehicle has sold.

Even if the seller selects the thread as "Sold" I still don't think the thread should be closed, just because closing it doesn't really accomplish anything useful.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

It will be an EXCELLENT addition to this site. I am on many different forums and D90 is well managed but badly needs a SOLD section, not a "classifieds older than". Nothing is LOST- simply moved to a more suitable location once it is no longer available.

I encourage the site moderators to visit www.BMXmuseum.com and check out their layout regarding this matter as it correlates quite well. Some of the functionality relies upon the users to simply flag a post if something needs to change or be moved, i.e. if you start a WANTED thread and are successful in finding it then it is up to you to flag the post so it can either be removed or moved to a new section. In this case I'd say remove it but in a for sale I like the idea of a SOLD section allowing members to look at what has sold and how much it went for.

The SOLD section accomplishes 2 things:
>Prevents us from looking for items only to discover they are no longer available;
>Provides potential sellers with an idea on where to price a similar item- too often people post items without a sale price because they have no idea. I've also used this to contact the member who purchased the item to see if they liked it and if they are willing to resell it.

This is progress.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I still say a section dedicated to sold items is more work than needed. If a seller flags his thread as "sold" then great - keep it in the For Sale section still and that can just be something you can filter on/out of your search when researching, or it can have its own little icon before you open the thread so that you know if it's sold or not. Moving it from one place on the forum to another just creates confusion, and getting rid of it completely accomplishes even less. Lastly, people on here rarely tell anyone what their item(s) sold for, just what it was last listed for.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

But it is NOT FOR SALE! How is a SOLD section more confusing than using little icons or trying to click on filters, etc- talk about confusing and alot of work.

Also, who cares what it actually sold for- the fact that it SOLD is what is important. If it sold then the price was obviously a good starting point and that is what people need.

I'll let the moderators take it from here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions