Branded title or clear title? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old February 17th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Alpine Whitey
Darrel Cartmel
94 D90 ST #1843

Branded title or clear title?

A red 1994 D90 (VIN:SALDV2282RA944965) was sold yesterday for $23k in Texas and is now for sale in Albuquerque for $29,950. I have spoken with the previous owner and the current owner about the "Branded" title issues on this truck which is now being represented as a clear title. The vehicle was in an accident on 1/23/09 in Tennessee, repaired and sold shortly afterwards. The police report listed it as a minor accident. Then the next owner reported to the Virginia DMV mileage fraud due to a malfunctioning odometer. Do the issues with this vehicle significantly reduce the value of this vehicle or is this still a good deal? And should this vehicle be represented as having a clean title to a unsuspecting public?

Carfax.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2015, 10:16 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Whitey View Post
Do the issues with this vehicle significantly reduce the value of this vehicle or is this still a good deal? And should this vehicle be represented as having a clean title to a unsuspecting public?
Here is my take and only my take. If anybody is buying this or any other "branded title" vehicle to flip or to be concerned about future resale value then walk away. If you are buying it to use and to keep and you know the history then so be it. If I was getting a good deal on something I planned on keeping it till I died, who case?

As far as a "washed" title, that is BS in my book but it happens far to often.
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Questions are never good when it comes to value. And you're asking questions. Just a hunch but is the seller Avahdani aka CULINA here?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...895997752.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2015, 10:23 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Intersting...
So how does Tx or NM use Branding?
Could it just have been stolen and gotten that designation and hence still be an ok vehicle? A minor accident that based on the rarity of the vehicle an insurance company said it wasn't worth it to fix (clearly not an Agreed Value policy) so they said salvage, but at an auction clearly the D community jumped to buy even what's legally listed as junk for several thousand$$$$$.

AS an aside, I commend your detective work, but just curious what is your personal interest in this vehicle? Don't get me wrong, it's awesome you've found out this potential issue, but... wow, you called the owners? Just not sure I know too many people who would get that involved in something that didn't directly concern them.

Thank god for car fax though. Good find
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
For the life of me i dont know or understand why type of title matters with a defender. All a salvage means is the repair quote was too much for insurance to pay as a percent of book value. And you know most salvaged repair quotes are done at the higheat possible rate so the owner can fatten the insurance check.

A head gasket could salvage a Disco. Its just stupid as a measure of a vehicle's current condition.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Alpine Whitey
Darrel Cartmel
94 D90 ST #1843

Are there other sources for vehicle history other than CarFax that will give prospective buyers additional information on D90s for sale. The previous owner that sold this vehicle yesterday took a $7000 loss on this vehicle because the vehicle was previously represented as a "clean title" vehicle and he didn't do due diligence on his research of the vehicle. Besides title washing what are some of the other tricks used to hide false VIN#s and flawed D90s.
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:31 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Questions are never good when it comes to value. And you're asking questions. Just a hunch but is the seller Avahdani here? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...895997752.html
Doesn't he have a blue one too?

Hardtops from both were just on eBay
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Alpine Whitey
Darrel Cartmel
94 D90 ST #1843

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Questions are never good when it comes to value. And you're asking questions. Just a hunch but is the seller Avahdani aka CULINA here?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...895997752.html
Yes your hunch is correct. I have owned a D90 in the past along with several Discoverys and a RRC and a LR3. I was a member of this forum a long time ago but family and work pulled me away, but I'm back now. I am currently looking for a solid D90 that I can keep for a long long time and not just a day. I plan to enjoy it and use it on some fun local trail rides and club events. In my search for a vehicle I came across the this vehicle and it's shady past.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:11 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

I can tell you from experience that if you buy an out of state vehicle with a salvage title and then title it in Texas, any salvage designation will not appear on the Texas title. It will appear on a carfax search though.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:27 AM
Alpine Whitey
Darrel Cartmel
94 D90 ST #1843

That is what this owner found out when he titled it Texas. I guess LR dealerships keep service records on individual rovers...which would be another good source of information other than CarFax.
Old February 18th, 2015, 01:13 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

It's kind of confusing what's going on here. Sounds like someone bought it only with the intention of making some quick cash by reselling it for $7k more? It's unfortunate so many shady things like this go on. If you want to buy it then it's up to you whether it's still a good deal or not. Personally I wouldn't buy it unless he's willing to sell it to you for the price he paid for it because I know I'd just be padding the wallet of some jerk and encouraging this type of behavior. As far as the title issues who cares as long as it's a good truck and you're planning on keeping it like others have said.
Old February 18th, 2015, 07:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Doesn't he have a blue one too? Hardtops from both were just on eBay
Yup, and a few D90s before that.
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
For the life of me i dont know or understand why type of title matters with a defender. All a salvage means is the repair quote was too much for insurance to pay as a percent of book value. And you know most salvaged repair quotes are done at the higheat possible rate so the owner can fatten the insurance check.

A head gasket could salvage a Disco. Its just stupid as a measure of a vehicle's current condition.
Perception is reality for the uninformed/uneducated.

I'd agree its ridiculous to care with these trucks, especially given the mileages most have and the fact that many are getting replacement chassis as the tin worm takes its toll.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:09 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Now up on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Land-Ro...p2054897.l4275

1994 Land Rover Defender
1994 Land Rover Defender 90 Base Sport Utility 2-Door 3.9L

culina2012 (0 )

Current Bid: US $15,322.00
Reserve not met
[ 5 bids ]

Item Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States

Mileage: 98,000

VIN: SALDV2282RA944965

1994 Defender 90 Soft Top in good condition. All mechanical has been inspected but please arrange your own inspection if needed. The truck is located in NM. Please note for Branded title in Carfax from another state due to Millage Accuracy. However, the current title in Texas is clear. NO Rust, few surface rust.

Additional notes: 1994 Portofino Red Defender, Located in New Mexico. Please read carefully to avoid unnecessary question or confusions. The Truck has Current clear Texas Title and not branded. However, BRANDED TITLE WAS ISSUED due to NOT ACTUAL MILLAGE in 2010 from another state. It's common with some state to do this as the DMV laws are different from each state. This is not a SALVAGE or REBUILD or LEMON and only Branded due to Millage discrepancy. * Standard Trans* NO factory AC but aftermarket AC installed* No Rust* All undercarriage is clean and rust free and only few surface rusts* Interior in good shape* Has Hard Top and Soft Top Included*

AUTOCHECK:

Reported Accidents: 1 Date: 1/23/2009

Odometer Issues Reported

Highlights
Title Check:MINOR_ISSUE

Accidents:MINOR_ISSUE
Owners: 7

Event date Location Odometer reading Data Source Details
02/01/1995 DENVER, CO
Auto Auction ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
08/04/1995 DENVER, CO
Auto Auction ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
11/03/1995 CO
Motor Vehicle Dept. PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
11/08/1995 DENVER, CO
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
04/23/1996 DENVER, CO
09/15/1996 MONTROSE, CO
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:56E033328) (Lien Reported)
10/15/1996 MONTROSE, CO
10/07/1997 MONTROSE, CO
10/05/1998 ABILENE, TX
10/15/1998 ABILENE, TX
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:22130736071165314)
10/01/1999 ABILENE, TX
11/19/2001 ABILENE, TX
02/25/2003 ABILENE, TX
11/06/2003 ABILENE, TX
07/06/2006 TN
Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
08/02/2006 NASHVILLE, TN
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:74107522)
REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
UNKNOWN ODOMETER READING
10/10/2006 FRANKLIN, TN
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:85418491) (Lien Reported)
10/30/2007 TN
11/06/2007 FRANKLIN, TN
10/31/2008 ANTIOCH, TN
11/12/2008 TN
01/23/2009 TN
State Agency REAR IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE (Case #:10055612)
01/23/2009 TN
State Agency LEFT REAR IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE (Case #:010055612)
01/23/2009 TN
State Agency MODERATE DAMAGE REPORTED
03/23/2010 BRENTWOOD, TN
Dealer Record VEHICLE IN DEALER INVENTORY (COLOR REPORTED AS RED)
05/05/2010 CARDINAL, VA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
NOT ACTUAL MILES
04/27/2011 CARDINAL, VA
06/05/2012 WILSON, WY
06/07/2012 WILSON, WY
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:22-0292438)
11/01/2012 LUBBOCK, TX
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
11/12/2012 LUBBOCK, TX
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:15230641212132257)
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
11/01/2013 LUBBOCK, TX
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Alpine Whitey
Darrel Cartmel
94 D90 ST #1843

It is interesting that Amir the new owner of this truck (VIN: SALDV2282RA944965) only mentions the odometer discrepancies and no mention of the accident that this vehicle was involved in on his eBay advert. I was told by the previous owner "Will" that the repairs where done by the owner at the time of the accident and not dealership. CarFax notes that the vehicle was sold shortly after the accident. Will also indicated to me that to he could not see any evidence of a repair from the previous accident, but it is something that needs to be carefully looked at if you are considering this vehicle. I'm curious to see how much Amir gets over the $23K that he paid for it.
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Avahdani
Nushi
NONE

Gents,

I am looking at your post and wonder your intentions. I bought this truck from another member any many of the members low balled him. My intention were to fix it although doesn't need much. I have been very straightforward about everything on this truck as the previous owner Will was. The transaction with Will was very easy as I paid the asking price with no any haggle. Now that I have found another project, this one has to go. That's all. The truck is posted to Ebay and will go anyone that feels what is worth. Rest assure it will not be Darrel as I was very upfront with you on the phone. If this really bothers you, just look away and don't look at the ebay posting. Any bright mind would do their due diligent on this truck or any out there. I did mine for almostt 2 weeks going back as far as talking to the guys before Will previous owner. It's amazing really

------ Follow up post added February 19th, 2015 10:29 AM ------

Darrell, I know you are bitter about loosing this truck to me. But it doesn't give you any right to judge people if you don't know the entire story.
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:47 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Sounds like someone bought it only with the intention of making some quick cash by reselling it for $7k more? It's unfortunate so many shady things like this go on.
So, you don't believe in capitalism. Fair enough. What is a better system for the allocation of scarce Defender resources?

Old February 19th, 2015, 02:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
As we conduct our due diligent, what is the millage accuracy issue?

Nushi/Avahdani/Amir/Culina/kiki - whichever name you're going by this hour (sketchy on its own), it's hard to know who to trust around here and what their intentions are - who they're just trying to make a quick buck off of, etc. It was easy to tell you were the seller as I've seen your ads for other defenders a few times with the same excuse of having just bought another, while you continue to poach others via PM.
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:27 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Caveat venditor
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:28 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions