Best roof top tents - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
its still a hell of a lot better than sleeping on the ground....I am so done with that nonsense.
Amen to that

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
mightymo
matthew m
'95 Disco 300TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
That looks great Matt. Jack W has one of these on his 90 and loves it. Either way you go with the RTT option, its still a hell of a lot better than sleeping on the ground....I am so done with that nonsense.
I don't mind the ground so much, but it is a lot easier to get the wifey out in the RTT.
1997 D90 NAS (SOLD)
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:50 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Our Autohome has been awesome! Super comfortable and only takes about 1 min to put up or down. Never leaked a drop and is super stable when it's windy.

We can put it on with 3 people, but having a 4th is better. I install it by myself with a big engine hoist for an airplane. If you had the garage height a simple pulley system would be a cinch to use on it.

Ours is mounted via 2 Thule bars and is absolutely rock solid and stable.

I would definitely purchase the same tent again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I ended up going with the Airtop small (130 x 210 x 33) from Autohome. They delivered it to me at the Overland Expo, saved a ton on freight and tax if I picked it up in CA. I originally got it for the Range Rover. It weighs 119 pounds, which not necessarily heavy, still takes 4 people to put it on the vehicle. I used the Range Rover’s standard racks, which incidentally have a higher load rating than the Yakimas or Thules. I did have to make an adaptor to match the curved bar to a flat support for the top. It works great on the Range Rove, little noise, hardly know its there. Since finding a 4 man team to put it on top, those without back issues or the like, and since my garage is not tall enough to accommodate the Range Rove and the top, even if I have the suspension go down to access height. I ended up making a lifting rig, essentially a T-bar of 2x4’s and straps to lift the top with my hanger door and then drive the Range Rover under it and lower it. Cheapo crane (my hanger door is overbuilt to the max). Still this was kind of a goofy arrangement. So when I got the M416 trailer it made more sense to use it to carry the top. Outside of putting one of the gigantic OEM racks, there are few options to put it on a soft top defender 90. So now I can use it with both vehicles and not have to do a Chinese fire drill to attach it. Just hook up and drag it. I also ended up making some extensions so the Yakima 1a’s would go over the top to carry a few bikes on the trailer. You have to remover the racks to pop the top, but it only takes a couple of minutes to detach them. My wife likes the Airtop. She feels secure from whatever bugs haunt her dreams.BTW, if you do put the tent on top of the vehicle, you may want a set of ramps like these to level the vehicle. They also make excellent "stick under your wheel" accessories to drive out of a hole with. Cheap and light, very sturdy:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_detai...ory_parent_id=

Old May 6th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Anyone using CVT tents?

I did some searching and they seem to have good reviews and awesome customer service. I'd like to have a Mt. Shasta. It includes the annex room which is pretty cool.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Anyone using CVT tents? I did some searching and they seem to have good reviews and awesome customer service. I'd like to have a Mt. Shasta. It includes the annex room which is pretty cool.
Check with East. He has one and I think his only complaint was that the top cover leaked water when the tent was stowed.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Anyone using CVT tents?

Jimmy, you don't camp anymore!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
Check with East. He has one and I think his only complaint was that the top cover leaked water when the tent was stowed.
I was wondering if that's what it was. Our dealership was (maybe still is) a vendor for them which is why East got one.

------ Follow up post added May 6th, 2014 07:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Jimmy, you don't camp anymore!

I think I'm going to start again. I need a luxury tent.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:25 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Quote:
Anyone using CVT tents? I did some searching and they seem to have good reviews and awesome customer service. I'd like to have a Mt. Shasta. It includes the annex room which is pretty cool.
Just got one through annual expo portal 30% off group buy. For the most part the majority of brands are all the same factory/design (arb, ironman etc) and cvt may be same factory but quality seems a lot better and thought behind design is far above the rest. Plus it's a USA based company and bobby the owner was nothing but the best placing my order.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Tags
roof, top