Ads Coming Next Week - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Ads Coming Next Week

It's actually been a year since I acquired the site from CvC even though our announcement was delayed until January. In chatting with CvC about an ad supported model for D-90 we agreed to Grandfather members who were registered before the announcement. This will allow our long time members to turn off the banner ads and thus provide the same ad free experience they have been used. You can read our original announcement here.

Next week I'll be installing a couple ads and wanted to give you all a heads up so you can go ahead and turn them off now if you want. To turn them off, it's very easy, simply do the following:
- Go to the UserCP >> Edit Options
- Scroll to the bottom and set the option "Turn Off the Banner Ads" to Off

Thanks in advance for understanding about this. The ad supported internet provides thousands of resources for free and although some might not like this model, I think most people would agree it beats having to pay for all the sites that use that to support their services.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
works for me! what kind of advertisers in the first batch? rover related or Geico and friends?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Akitatw4
Tom
1995/D90

Registry
Works for me. This site has been invaluable to me. Easy enough to turn off.

Thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I needed to clean up my userCP settings anyway.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Thx for the warning.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
what kind of advertisers in the first batch? rover related or Geico and friends?
They will simply be ad network ads like AdSense, etc.

At some point I plan to reach out to the endemic advertisers, ie. Defender related, to see if they want to buy some button ads (you'll be able to turn those off too). Typically most small endemic advertisers don't have much experience with banner ads so the button ads end up working better for them.
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Well, I finally got around to this project so there will be a few ads shown. If you joined prior to Jan 5 2012 (see post #1 of this discussion) then you can disable the ads.
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I subscribe to Underground Weather...and with their, I think its $10.00 membership they turn the ads off. Just wondering if managment has considered something like that. I'm all for this site operating as an ongoing business and would not hesitate subscribing...of course I speak for myself.
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I subscribe to Underground Weather...and with their, I think its $10.00 membership they turn the ads off. Just wondering if managment has considered something like that.
We might offer an inexpensive upgrade option like that at some point in the future. It would likely include some D-90 Source stickers and other perks. No ETA or assurance that an upgrade will be offered but it's will be considered.
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

FYI - There are some blanks showing right now. I am working on fixing that.
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:06 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Funny I had ads on and didn't see them at all, guess adblocker and ghostry do their job I wouldn't even have know it was set to on if it was for the thread.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Funny I had ads on and didn't see them at all, guess adblocker and ghostry do their job I wouldn't even have know it was set to on if it was for the thread.
Same here.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:30 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I just started seeing them this morning...

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
i did too....just go to your options and turn them off like the man said....I just did - works fine now.
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:23 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I subscribe to Underground Weather...and with their, I think its $10.00 membership they turn the ads off.
That's interesting. I visit Underground Weather each morning and didn't know that they had ads. I'm one of those people who hate ads on web sites I visit so I block them. I use Firefox as my browser mainly because they have a rich selection of add-ons for the browser. One of my add-ons blocks ads from loading. Another one selectively blocks cookies so the companies that provide ad software and tracking do not know that I have even been on a site. I do allow things like Google Analytics to work so that web site owners can keep track of their traffic. But I'd just as soon not have unknown companies collecting data from me and keeping track of my movements through the web.

I prefer to pass through unnoticed by ad tracking software and to not see any ads. So if this thread had not told me about having ads I would never have known that there were any on the site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

ah- yeah its annoying so I subscribe....it's worth it for the content. I mis-spoke it's really http://www.wunderground.com/. I think the weather channel purchased them.
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Glad I could turn these off! I dont mind the ebay adds but the good ones were annoying me
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
I use Firefox as my browser mainly because they have a rich selection of add-ons for the browser. One of my add-ons blocks ads from loading. Another one selectively blocks cookies so the companies that provide ad software and tracking do not know that I have even been on a site. I do allow things like Google Analytics to work so that web site owners can keep track of their traffic. But I'd just as soon not have unknown companies collecting data from me and keeping track of my movements through the web.

I prefer to pass through unnoticed by ad tracking software and to not see any ads. So if this thread had not told me about having ads I would never have known that there were any on the site.
I use Firefox as well. Which ad blocker add-ons do you use/like?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Support & Suggestions