Who wants headers for their 90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old February 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
RedRhinoProducts
RedRhinoProducts
Big-Ass Disco
D-90 Source Vendor

Question Who wants headers for their 90?

Greetings everyone,

Recently we purchased a set of Hedman Headers for our Outback Challenge Project Disco and upon receiving them we found out that they were made for a RHD V8. Apparently Hedman really only makes Rover headers for export, hence the RHD.

After a few quick phone calls and transfers I was able to speak with the head engineer for Hedman. I explained to him that there is a large market of NAS Rover owners who would like an easy aftermarket header solution. Some have successfully installed the RHD versions but you have make changes to the flange, pipes and depending on the model possibly even the cross brace. Most people don't want to deal with this I explained.

To make a long story short I am modifying the headers and sending them back to Hedman, at that point they are going fabricate new models for sale through us @ Red Rhino Products. I am trying to get an idea of how many people would be interested in them. The retail price would be somewhere around approx $175 - $225 a set complete with gaskets and hardware.

Feel free to drop me a line direct or let me know in the forum.

Regards,
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Are they going to make the flanges thicker? There is a big problem with warping with Hedmans. AAlso the price for the RHD units are around $150-160 depending on where you get them. $175 is not that bad but $225 or above is a little steep for Hedmans unless they are ceramic coated. Good luck.
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:33 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i agree thats cool you are pursuing this. i think if they made a header that could be installed with llittle to know modification they would sell very well, i have always heard the flanges were too thin perhaps they may also address this issue as well. o2 sensors etc etc etc. i might would buy some if they were well made and didnt require much hacking up of the y-pipe etc. good luck keep us posted, you may also mention this in a few other places.
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2005, 08:27 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Will they be "modified" headers, or are they actually going to bend them to spec and do them right? I don't think many people want a free flowing exhaust with a big dent in the header pipe...
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:40 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Would you make them for D-90's? I would definately be interested even with the price being 225. Would you have an option for ceramic coating?

Larry
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:41 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Jason, I don't know much about Hedmans but the guys are always good sources of reliable info. If you address the problems they've mentioned, I would probably be in. It'd be nice to get some more power out of the engine. Mark me as "interested".
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:06 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
whats the status??
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:30 AM
RedRhinoProducts
RedRhinoProducts
Big-Ass Disco
D-90 Source Vendor

Still working... Things are sloooooooooow with Hedman.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:40 PM
RedRhinoProducts
RedRhinoProducts
Big-Ass Disco
D-90 Source Vendor

The headers have been put on hold for a few months, we are working hard to get our Discovery together for the Outback Challenge and it's taking a toll on me. The issue is certainly not dead but on hold for the next 60 days or so.

Keep you posted,
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:29 AM
joetz
joe tzougrakis

I am a lurker that just signed up for the purpose of letting you know i am interested in headers for my '95 defender 90. Are things still on hold?
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Jimbo
James Falchetto

Hi guys, new to the board. Couldn't help but notice that Hedman Hedders were a hot topic. Out of curiosity did anybody manage to install them without hitting/replacing the steering shaft? Had to fabricate a new shaft out of an old Rover one coze the collapsible joint got in the way? Car is LHD 110
Thanks
JF
Old August 18th, 2005, 12:14 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I haven't put it together yet, but I'm going with the hedmans on our 90. I am planning on going with this steering shaft http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd211.htm

Hope it works OK with the Hedmans
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
joetz
joe tzougrakis

I read on another forum that RHD headers fit LHD defenders with no modification. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Also, do they hook up to the stock exhaust?
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

They do not hook up with the stock exhaust without modification to the exhaust. I assume the cats will need to be moved slightly, as the end of the headers is horizontal and sits about where the current pipe goes into the cats. I will not be able to tell for sure until I get it all together (still a few months out, at least) but on the cover of one of the four wheel drive magazines for the month of August (or maybe it was July) there is a D-90 on there with Hedmans, and it looks like it works without too much modification.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:13 AM
joetz
joe tzougrakis

How about Janspeed? Does anyone know if they make headers that fit?
These engines aren't even putting out 50 HP per liter, so ther emust be a lot of untapped potential. I think headers would make a huge difference.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Janspeed makes some, but they are pretty pricey, that's why I didn't go that route. As far as I have researched, the install of the Janspeed's would be the same as with the Hedmans because they are shaped very similarly, i.e. you would still have to move the Cats.

Actually, when I spoke to Janspeed about it, they said that they don't offer headers for trucks with cats. I asked them why and they told me it was because it is against the law to change the location of the cats, but if I were to do a custom exhaust, then it could fit. I told them I would be doing it custom, then they said it would work with modification. Hope that made sense. Janspeed is a very well respected brand though, that's for sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
90, header