Defender Source Forum banner

VNT Turbo Kits

17K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  AdamSanta85 
#1 ·
Direct Replacement Variable Vane or VNT Turbo kits for the Land Rover 300Tdi engined Defender and Discovery .

$1795 plus shipping.

Also available for 200tdi, td5 and puma engines

See less See more
#4 ·
Not sure on fuel economy. What it does is it basically eliminates turbo lag as the turbo spools up much sooner. The engine pulls strong just about from idle.
Turbo is either Garrett or turbonetics (sp). Several guys on the board are running these now.

------ Follow up post added April 11th, 2014 01:50 PM ------

I will check on turbo make though later

#18 ·
what is the individual unit cost of the turbo itself? given that the 2.8 TGV uses the same manifold gasket as the 300tdi, and that this entire conversion kit costs the same as a single 2.8 turbo replacement, it almost makes sense to switch a 2.8 over to this when a turbo replacement is necessary, and then have all LR parts and a cheaper turbo that is MUCH easier to source internationally.

the other outstanding question is if the 2.8 intake manifold will fit in this exhaust manifold well.

what parts does the kit come with exactly?

#19 ·
Its a simple drop in replacement. The 2 exhaust ports are on the turbo and you use the two horns for the other two ports. You don't have to reroute pipes all over like the 2.8 VNT does. This is stupid easy to put in and a great upgrade if you ask me.

Comes with Turbo and a new oil feed on the engine side I think. Thats it.

I am getting one once my 300tdi is up and running

#23 ·
Mark if you just need a turbo at some point for your 2.8l "Turbo Auto" in Nashville has your series of VNT at a much better price then it sounds like you have been quoted. Not to muck up Tdi guys for sale thread. This would only apply to the 2.8l VNT replacement turbo itself. These kits address the entire assembly and fabrication.

#25 ·
Mark if you just need a turbo at some point for your 2.8l "Turbo Auto" in Nashville has your series of VNT at a much better price then it sounds like you have been quoted. Not to muck up Tdi guys for sale thread. This would only apply to the 2.8l VNT replacement turbo itself. These kits address the entire assembly and fabrication.
Now that's good to know! I haven't sourced anyone stateside that sold the 2.8 turbo anything less what M&D sells it for shipped ($1700ish).

The idea of having an LR factory turbo that could be much more easily sourced while globetrotting has it's appeal though.

#34 ·
This looks like a real nice simple kit. Would still love to hear some more from some folks who have it installed to get a better read on the performance experience. Planning a 300TDI build but I've never driven one stock so its hard to judge whether I need this or not. However now would be the time to dump the money into it, doubt my wife will let me spend this kind of coin again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.