Old November 14th, 2014, 06:53 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
got it. so the exhaust manifold is 300 tdi stock, as is the downpipe?
Yes. Kit has manifold and new oil return lines in kit. Everything else just bolts on stock. It's that easy.
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
whats the part number on the puma turbo?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 14th, 2014, 01:16 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Mark if you just need a turbo at some point for your 2.8l "Turbo Auto" in Nashville has your series of VNT at a much better price then it sounds like you have been quoted. Not to muck up Tdi guys for sale thread. This would only apply to the 2.8l VNT replacement turbo itself. These kits address the entire assembly and fabrication.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Does turbonetics provide a compressor map for these units? Maybe be best in a new thread to compare stock turbos, these and the one used in the 2.8TGV

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Mark if you just need a turbo at some point for your 2.8l "Turbo Auto" in Nashville has your series of VNT at a much better price then it sounds like you have been quoted. Not to muck up Tdi guys for sale thread. This would only apply to the 2.8l VNT replacement turbo itself. These kits address the entire assembly and fabrication.
Now that's good to know! I haven't sourced anyone stateside that sold the 2.8 turbo anything less what M&D sells it for shipped ($1700ish).

The idea of having an LR factory turbo that could be much more easily sourced while globetrotting has it's appeal though.

Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:06 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
i"m going to do a seperate right up on lessons learned with the 2.8 in a different thread soon, but my 2.8 TGV turbo just gave up the ghost again. It's being rebuilt, so not catastrophic damage it appears like the last 2 turbos I had to replace. I'm growing to hate the 2.8 turbo.

Like Pendy said though, I had a great conversation with Turbo Auto in Nashville. He's not rebuilding my turbo (still waiting to hear on that from the local shop it's at), but He has connections in S. America and can get the 2.8 turbo cartridge to rebuild it if anyone nees that. All in around $450 he quoted me. Seems like a good standup guy.

My hypothesis is my cracked head that sipped coolant killed my turbo 3 times before I got around to replacing the head. unfortunately, this turbo that failed went on about a month before I actually got the sense to replace the head and stop my mystery coolant loss. I guess that was enough to kill it long term. Lasted about two years but damn, turbo's are sensative.

Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:12 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
i"m going to do a seperate right up on lessons learned with the 2.8 in a different thread soon, but my 2.8 TGV turbo just gave up the ghost again. It's being rebuilt, so not catastrophic damage it appears like the last 2 turbos I had to replace. I'm growing to hate the 2.8 turbo. Like Pendy said though, I had a great conversation with Turbo Auto in Nashville. He's not rebuilding my turbo (still waiting to hear on that from the local shop it's at), but He has connections in S. America and can get the 2.8 turbo cartridge to rebuild it if anyone nees that. All in around $450 he quoted me. Seems like a good standup guy. My hypothesis is my cracked head that sipped coolant killed my turbo 3 times before I got around to replacing the head. unfortunately, this turbo that failed went on about a month before I actually got the sense to replace the head and stop my mystery coolant loss. I guess that was enough to kill it long term. Lasted about two years but damn, turbo's are sensative.
You're scaring me. As time goes by, I regret my V8 to HS2.8 conversion more and more.
But it's done and thankfully not my only Rover.
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:29 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
TDI guy,

Sounds like a decent deal on a good product.

Even if your thread has become an ad for some dude in Nashville.
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Mark. Are you sure thats the Turbo's fault? Oil or coolant in the Turbo doesn't sound like something any Turbo would deal well with. They're turbines. I've been thinking about getting a Mann Provent 200 as a precaution. Perhaps that would be a good insurance for yours as well? A turbo pre-filter of sorts.
Quote:
My hypothesis is my cracked head that sipped coolant killed my turbo 3 times before I got around to replacing the head. unfortunately, this turbo that failed went on about a month before I actually got the sense to replace the head and stop my mystery coolant loss. I guess that was enough to kill it long term. Lasted about two years but damn, turbo's are sensative.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:36 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

That Mann provent would essentially do the same thing that the OEM "cyclone" separator does... It would not do anything to keep coolant that gets into the combustion chamber from getting to the turbo... there is no product that could do that.
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGH View Post
TDI guy,

Sounds like a decent deal on a good product.

Even if your thread has become an ad for some dude in Nashville.
Exactly. Doing this in a for sale thread here is against the forums rules

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 26th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Exactly. Doing this in a for sale thread here is against the forums rules
Agree. moderators feel free to delete or move my thread. my intent though was to point out the merits of this VNT upgrade kit over a 2.8 kit, due to the difficulty of supporting parts for the 2.8 turbo, vs this one that appears to use a much more common PUMA turbo.

Old January 26th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Whoops. Sorry to the OP. Was posting from the app and didn't pay attention.
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:51 PM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
This looks like a real nice simple kit. Would still love to hear some more from some folks who have it installed to get a better read on the performance experience. Planning a 300TDI build but I've never driven one stock so its hard to judge whether I need this or not. However now would be the time to dump the money into it, doubt my wife will let me spend this kind of coin again!
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Rob. There are several other VNT threads you can search and read up on. I did a full write up on my install. Search is your friend.
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:05 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerRob View Post
This looks like a real nice simple kit. Would still love to hear some more from some folks who have it installed to get a better read on the performance experience. Planning a 300TDI build but I've never driven one stock so its hard to judge whether I need this or not. However now would be the time to dump the money into it, doubt my wife will let me spend this kind of coin again!
Rob, getting my 300 and am getting VNT. More is better. Power, torque, waffles, anything!
Old January 30th, 2015, 09:41 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Or shoot me a pm. I install them as well as offer the kit. I can answer any questions
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:06 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Have an extra turbo for a 300tdi on the way. Let me know if anyone is interested?
Old March 30th, 2016, 08:56 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

I don't mean to revive this thread but thought I'd ask because Randy seems like expert on this product.

Is there supposed to be a gasket between downpipe and the turbo on 200tdi defender kit?
Old March 31st, 2016, 06:49 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post
I don't mean to revive this thread but thought I'd ask because Randy seems like expert on this product. Is there supposed to be a gasket between downpipe and the turbo on 200tdi defender kit?
yes, RN or Rovah will have'm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft