Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old June 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Sneak peek at new SD rack

Quick "d-90.com" insider sneak peak of the soon to be released Safety Device Defender roof rack. This will be available in various forms and will fit NAS trucks with the rear ladder system, and will also be able to fit Euro 90s/110s with a more standard leg system.
It will also be a direct replacement for the original NAS SD roof basket for those who already have racks (and we will be offering them at special pricing to those who bought racks from us).
This image shows the rack mocked up with 2 different sides (to test the look) and lots of options will be available.
As you can see this rack was developed with SD and ECR working together and tabs for Hi-Lifts and such are all built in.
More info. to come in July.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RRL229RR_2.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	28210  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2010, 04:32 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Sweet. Thanks for the info.
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Any idea on how much it will weigh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2010, 06:50 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Any idea on how much it will weigh?
Weights will vary with the type (how long the top bars are, etc).
No weight data yet.
The racks won't be released until July 2010

Old June 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

my vote is for the long side.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

OK I have to ask. I was going to be quiet as I am sooo bored mocking horsey but I need to know. Why do you care what it weighs? I would just assume it is as heavy as an SD rack and since SD and ECR designed it, the weight should not be an issue. Do you need to know as you are worried it will break your horse's back when you have Mr. Ed help you with the install?

Enlighten me
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:21 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ok, Mike, I want one. I'll have to pick it up in the UK though. Don't ask. Yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Picking on Horsey

Now I think that Josh gets picked on enough, but I think this time he stepped right in it. Josh unless you have found a parking garage that is over 7' or you are just going to park your rig on the street you are not going to fit. So why do you care about the weight?
I'm pushing 7' 2" with with a Wolf Fabrication rack rollin' on 285/75r16. Now I'm not going to lie, when I got my rack I was a little concerned with the weight. But after doing a trip with all my gear on top. My worries were but a thing of the past.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
my vote is for the long side.
Long side for sure
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's not so much the weight I care about. When I build my racks I want them to be able to lean up against a tree and support a truck. The old SD "shopping baskets" would just fold up. The new ECR designed rack looks much stouter and with that comes some extra weight, but it will be worth it.

Semper Fi!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
That longside basket is pretty much what Wolf Fabrication ( jonathan ) built for my D90, glad to see SD ( or ECR ) updated the style
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
That longside basket is pretty much what Wolf Fabrication ( jonathan ) built for my D90, glad to see SD ( or ECR ) updated the style
We handed over the ECR design rack that we have been building here for years (image below) and then they put their own spin on it and made some mounting changes so it fits more than just a NAS 90. I don't think it will be as rugged/heavy as the ones we make here, but should be much better than the original SD basket.

The good thing about SD is that they listen to feedback. Most UK places we deal with could care less. SD listens and will make changes if needed. Its refreshing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09896.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	28235  

Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
From what Mike said it looks like SD will be making a few different designs available, so if you like the long-sided baskets or the short-sided, perhaps both will be available. Great idea.

Barry and Crash. Last I checked we're all allowed to ask questions on this forum...just because I'm the one who asks it doesn't really qualify you to bring this off-topic from its intended purpose. Weight, strength, durability, aesthetics, versatility (ST, SW, Euro), price, etc., are all very important when considering a roof rack. As this is a new design for SD racks for Defenders, I'm simply wondering if it's a design improvement to tackle old weaknesses a basket form may have had, if there will be weight savings, $$ savings because of the wider market this will be able to appeal to, etc. Most of that won't be available until all of their collaboration and tests are complete. Like many of you, I consider ECR's standards "the standard" on many issues. If there will be significant weight savings, strength improvements, etc. over other racks currently on the market, why wouldn't I want to know those stats when comparing to other racks? All of my questions have a purpose...maybe not to my immediate needs, but definitely to aid in future decisions.

Thanks for the updates, Mike.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What I'd like to see on that rack are tabs which would allow you to drop in 8 pieces of Star Board (or similar) to make a quality rack floor flush with the rack deck.

Mike, if you look at the rack that's out on my 110, you can see I had this done at the very back so that I could drop in pieces of 3/4 inch plywood to make a platform behind my tent.

The reason I never installed those pieces permanently was that the panel pieces would be better with a quarter-moon cut out of each corner to allow the use of straps and ties at the tube intersections. Unfortunately, my tabs that support the panels are in the corners so if you cut them out, the panel drops through.

Does that make sense?

Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
From what Mike said it looks like SD will be making a few different designs available, so if you like the long-sided baskets or the short-sided, perhaps both will be available. Great idea.

Barry and Crash. Last I checked we're all allowed to ask questions on this forum...just because I'm the one who asks it doesn't really qualify you to bring this off-topic from its intended purpose. Weight, strength, durability, aesthetics, versatility (ST, SW, Euro), price, etc., are all very important when considering a roof rack. As this is a new design for SD racks for Defenders, I'm simply wondering if it's a design improvement to tackle old weaknesses a basket form may have had, if there will be weight savings, $$ savings because of the wider market this will be able to appeal to, etc. Most of that won't be available until all of their collaboration and tests are complete. Like many of you, I consider ECR's standards "the standard" on many issues. If there will be significant weight savings, strength improvements, etc. over other racks currently on the market, why wouldn't I want to know those stats when comparing to other racks? All of my questions have a purpose...maybe not to my immediate needs, but definitely to aid in future decisions.

Thanks for the updates, Mike.
Looks like someone is pissy. Still calling bullshit on the weight question. Unless it is made out of lead we both know the weight has no bearing on your decision to buy one. Now maybe if rhinolining adds weight. .
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:23 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Mike,

That is gorgeous. I'm with Jim on a King StarBoard-ready version. Flooring that sits flush with the deck would be the cat's ass. 1/2" StarBoard is what I would use. So, looking at the second picture you posted, the SB would come flush to where that grating sits currently. While I don't care for that metal grating, I do like how it doesn't ride all the way out to the edges of the rack. That would overwhelm the rack.

This rack appears to sit lower, which I also really like.

Will you be offering it mail order in conjunction with the ladders and other bits required to mount to a ST?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Any numbers on what the mounted height will be? Garage door height limited me from getting the Original design...
phoenix37 -> If only it were that easy...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
ac, rack