Old March 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I like it - except for how it overlaps the top of the windshield portion of the rollcage.
I agree, it needs to come up short of the A bar like the rest of my racks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I like the overhang. It's like the older sahara rovers we see with the sun shields.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	visor.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	49161  
Old March 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What does everyone think of using stainless hose clamps to secure the flooring?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Have you considered swapping out the 1" sq tubing for a L shape (on the next rack of course)? The flooring would drop in and be uniformly supported by the horizontal leg of the L.
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Have you considered swapping out the 1" sq tubing for a L shape (on the next rack of course)? The flooring would drop in and be uniformly supported by the horizontal leg of the L.
The problem with that is using small L channel to fit the thickness of the flooring. That small size L is not strong enough to support the weight. So you'd have to use larger L and then the flooring won't sit flush.

Semper Fi!
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Stiltonesque
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs

Stiltonesque
Ya lost me there. I think black hose clamps might work as long as it looks tasteful with using the proper size.

Semper Fi!
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I'm with Russell about the L channel support. What kind of weight are you designing the racks to support? A design with flooring support from the bottom with some sort of cam buckle from the bottom to secure the flooring would (IMO) be preferable to anything that sticks above the flooring surface.

Stilton is my favorite stinky English cheese.
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
I'm with Russell about the L channel support. What kind of weight are you designing the racks to support? A design with flooring support from the bottom with some sort of cam buckle from the bottom to secure the flooring would (IMO) be preferable to anything that sticks above the flooring surface.

Stilton is my favorite stinky English cheese.
For weight, it's really just the direct weight of someone standing directly on the L channel and you couldn't rely strictly on the L channel as your main supports. Those L channels would need support somehow... Just typing out loud at this point....

Semper Fi!
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
It's a very nice rack!

I assume that the overhang has less to do with style and more to do with customer specification.
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
For weight, it's really just the direct weight of someone standing directly on the L channel and you couldn't rely strictly on the L channel as your main supports. Those L channels would need support somehow...

So its a matter of a few hundred pounds spread out over 30-40 sq in? How thick is the flooring material? It's an empirical question, but I would be very surprised if 3/4" L channel was insufficient.
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs

So its a matter of a few hundred pounds spread out over 30-40 sq in? How thick is the flooring material? It's an empirical question, but I would be very surprised if 3/4" L channel was insufficient.
Take 3/4" L channel, span 48" and stand on it. It will deflect a good amount. To battle this you'd need heavy gauge steel.

The flooring is 1/2" thick too, so it'd sit low in the 3/4 L.

Either way, I'll give it some thought on the next build.

Semper Fi!
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
where could I get my hands on some of that plastic grid?

While I realize that with only 1/2" it will probably need some engineering to accomplish what I'm thinking of doing, I'd much rather have plastic than expanded metal mesh.

I'm looking to create some flooring between the two square areas between the Safety Devices cage on my 110. (that's why I jumped on your multi-use clamps) I was going to do something with the rear section and if it worked i was going to order two additional sets of 1.75 clamps.

I really don't need a rack with sides and really just need to be able to stand on top and walk around. On my old 110 with a brownchurch rack I used to put beach chairs up there and get away from the beach flies hovering around the sand. Would like to do the same somehow with no rack just the roll cage. (does that make sense)

Oh and yeah, that's a bad-ass rack you've designed! That built-in flexibility (in the design/use) is nice.
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:18 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Very nice job. Have you loaded the crap out of one of them yet to see how much they will be good to carry?
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn
where could I get my hands on some of that plastic grid?

While I realize that with only 1/2" it will probably need some engineering to accomplish what I'm thinking of doing, I'd much rather have plastic than expanded metal mesh.

I'm looking to create some flooring between the two square areas between the Safety Devices cage on my 110. (that's why I jumped on your multi-use clamps) I was going to do something with the rear section and if it worked i was going to order two additional sets of 1.75 clamps.

I really don't need a rack with sides and really just need to be able to stand on top and walk around. On my old 110 with a brownchurch rack I used to put beach chairs up there and get away from the beach flies hovering around the sand. Would like to do the same somehow with no rack just the roll cage. (does that make sense)

Oh and yeah, that's a bad-ass rack you've designed! That built-in flexibility (in the design/use) is nice.
I make bolt in straight cross bars for the NAS 110 cage. Then I just laid flooring on top of those. The flooring is poultry flooring from FarmTek.

I also make clamp on sides for your cage to turn the cage itself into a basket. You can see all this stuff in my build thread.

------ Follow up post added March 16th, 2012 07:29 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz
Very nice job. Have you loaded the crap out of one of them yet to see how much they will be good to carry?
Not me, but plenty of customers have. I'm not worried about how much the rack can carry. Your suspension will bottom out before anything happens to the rack.

Semper Fi!
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
I agree, it needs to come up short of the A bar like the rest of my racks.
Kind of like the look with the overhang but sounds like you are in the right track-would interfere with lamps mounted on the A-bar.

To the end are you including mounting points for lights on the front?
Old March 18th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover

Kind of like the look with the overhang but sounds like you are in the right track-would interfere with lamps mounted on the A-bar.

To the end are you including mounting points for lights on the front?
Yes, light tabs are free.

Semper Fi!
Old April 30th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

That's a good looking rack! Do the front and rear of the rack swing down as well? I've been thinking of a rack, but garage door is the limiting factor. This might be just short enough with all 4 sides down.

Do you have any measurements off of the top of the rollcage to the top of the floor?
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer
That's a good looking rack! Do the front and rear of the rack swing down as well? I've been thinking of a rack, but garage door is the limiting factor. This might be just short enough with all 4 sides down.

Do you have any measurements off of the top of the rollcage to the top of the floor?
Front and rear swings down. With the sides down it adds about 5".

Semper Fi!
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

So really not much taller than lights mounted on the roll bar?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
ac, rack