Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old January 24th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

New tools in the Tiktaalik web store

I have added a couple of adventure related items to the Tiktaalik Web Store this week and there's more to come. Now in stock and ready to ship are the Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder (Japan), The waterproof Field Notes notebooks (USA), the Mel Pardue Griptilian Folding Knife by Benchmade (Oregon) and the Stainless Steel Measuring Tools from Shinwa (Japan).

The intent behind the store is for Tiktaalik to seek out the best and highest quality adventure gear possible and to display it to you in a highly curated environment so that you can rest assured that anything you find in the store is of the outmost quality, functionality and usefulness. I recently became an authorized reseller of the Swedish outdoor brand Fjällräven. I am planning to start carrying a select few items from the Numbers Series as well as possibly also their tents. Also in the works are sleeping bags from Snugpak who outfits the british military. Also later this spring Tiktaalik will be launching its own set of Adventure Tools. Stay tuned for further announcements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-Store-Additions.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	111907   Click image for larger version

Name:	numbers2012_7476.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	111913  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

whos the picture of the guy? not demo'ing product?!?
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:03 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Why? Is the girl in your avatar into the rugged type? ;-) jk.

I love that grinder, even if it never leaves my kitchen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

It's from the Fjällräven catalogue showing some of the Numbers apparel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
------ Follow up post added January 24th, 2015 01:06 PM ------

As long as it is being used its all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
-
-
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Why? Is the girl in your avatar into the rugged type? ;-) jk.

Thats Boba Girl...lol! from my Star Wars dreams! I have four of those type of grinders now...one of Carls is going to my son when I give him the Disco for his own adventures! One for the house and two for the expedition trailer.
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

This is awesome, Carl. Like EE back in the day. I dig those sweet Shinwa rulers and the coffee grinder. Do you have any pics of the grinder in action? I'm curious to see the quantity of beans that it holds and what the final product looks like. Is the grind size adjustable?

------ Follow up post added January 24th, 2015 03:48 PM ------

/
/
/
/
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Chris!

Yes the ceramic burrs are adjustable and replaceable and they stay sharper longer than stainless steel. It's no Mazzer Mini but for the size, quality and cost an overall excellent product. I believe it holds 20 grams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Porlex-Mini-Hand-Coffee-Grinder-600.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	111914   Click image for larger version

Name:	porlex-cermaic-blade-grinder.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	111915  

Name:	porlex-coffee-grinder.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	111916   Click image for larger version

Name:	471_2_porlex_hand_grinder_large.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	111917  

-
-
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:47 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
hey carl, sweet stuff. thanks for posting!
Old January 27th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I have a bunch of Fjällräven stuff, and love it!

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2015 12:47 PM ------

How are you going to be selling their tents? They told me at the store that they can't be sold in the U.S. do to some regulations that they don't meet.
Old January 27th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Pronounce that shit... Please
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
Pronounce that shit... Please
fyell revin

http://youtu.be/O1na_v1iQ2M
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Very impressive. It was starting to look like a bad season of "Lilyhammer"...
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You need to get better at the interwebs.

https://translate.google.com/?ie=UTF...A4llr%C3%A4ven

click on the speaker.

-Jeff
That doesn't sound right to me. Its the ä in räven is not a long a sound.
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Aha! You've done your homework. I looked into it and I have convinced Fjällräven to start selling their tents in the US starting in 2016. The decision was just made last week so I'm not sure if its official yet (in case you ask a store clerk). This is a completely bogus regulation which is in regards to requirements for (cancer causing) flame retardant chemicals but only applies in 6 states as a state law (California, Massachusetts, Louisiana, Minnesota, New York and New Jersey). There is no federal requirement. The regulation was created by Tobacco and chemical companies in order to deflect blame and profit from selling chemicals by fabricating an artificial need. Long but interesting story that you can read more about here. The flame retardant chemicals also make the fabric weaker in addition to giving you cancer so its a double bonus! Fjällräven didn't want to compromise their tents or the health of their customers so they decided not to sell their tents in the US. Until now that is. Good news overall just a shame that we have to wait a whole year to get them here. I'm hoping to get some test units as soon as possible and I'm also going to look into if I can do a group buy directly from Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
How are you going to be selling their tents? They told me at the store that they can't be sold in the U.S. do to some regulations that they don't meet.
------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2015 01:16 PM ------

Are you a cunning linguist?

Quote:
That doesn't sound right to me. Its the ä in räven is not a long a sound.
-
-
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:47 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Aha! You've done your homework. I looked into it and I have convinced Fjällräven to start selling their tents in the US starting in 2016. The decision was just made last week so I'm not sure if its official yet (in case you ask a store clerk). This is a completely bogus regulation which is in regards to requirements for (cancer causing) flame retardant chemicals but only applies in 6 states as a state law (California, Massachusetts, Louisiana, Minnesota, New York and New Jersey). There is no federal requirement. The regulation was created by Tobacco and chemical companies in order to deflect blame and profit from selling chemicals by fabricating an artificial need. Long but interesting story that you can read more about here. The flame retardant chemicals also make the fabric weaker in addition to giving you cancer so its a double bonus! Fjällräven didn't want to compromise their tents or the health of their customers so they decided not to sell their tents in the US. Until now that is. Good news overall just a shame that we have to wait a whole year to get them here. I'm hoping to get some test units as soon as possible and I'm also going to look into if I can do a group buy directly from Sweden. ------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2015 01:16 PM ------ Are you a cunning linguist?
What's worse are all of the cancer cases amongst firefighters from the noxious gases produced from the chemically treated fabrics when they do ignite in house fires.
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
I'm hoping to get some test units as soon as possible and I'm also going to look into if I can do a group buy directly from Sweden.
That would be awesome, but they are expensive!

Will you be offering any preferred pricing for Defender Source members? Also, for anyone going to Winter Romp, my girlfriend and I will likely both be wearing items by Fjällräven if you'd like to see them in person. Their website isn't very good for descriptions in my opinion.
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Exactly!

Quote:
What's worse are all of the cancer cases amongst firefighters from the noxious gases produced from the chemically treated fabrics when they do ignite in house fires.
------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2015 01:55 PM ------

They are. I have a Hilleberg tent currently so I am looking forward to comparing the quality.Yes if I can get Fjällräven to go along with a group buy I will certainly offer group buy discount.

Quote:
That would be awesome, but they are expensive!

Will you be offering any preferred pricing for Defender Source members? Also, for anyone going to Winter Romp, my girlfriend and I will likely both be wearing items by Fjällräven if you'd like to see them in person. Their website isn't very good for descriptions in my opinion.
-
-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft