Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Introducing Tiktaalik

Hi Everyone.

Manimal (Carl) here. A few of you know that I have been designing and prototyping a couple of Defender accessories including light guards lately. I have actually been doing product design and development professionally for over 12 years now but it wasn't until recently that I decided to steer my current career towards something which I am even more passionate about; Defenders and Adventure travel.

The products that I have started off with here are pretty simple items but there's much more in the works and not just Defender specific stuff. I am currently prototyping a set of blades for adventure travel related cooking and there will inevitably be a line of bags in the future as well. The light guards and the grill are all made from Hard (Type III) Anodized Aluminum. Light guards generally suffer from a lot of exposure to the elements and so the powder coated steel will eventually always flake and rust. Type III Anodized Aluminum have none of these issues and my samples are holding up exceptionally well so far. Also worth mentioning is that all of these products are designed as drop-in replacements. No drilling of new holes is necessary. Here are some links to photos of the most recent round of prototypes:

Small Headlight Guard
Large Headlight Guard
NAS Rear Lamp Guards
OEM Aluminum Grill

All these products will eventually be sold under the brand I have created; Tiktaalik. The idea behind Tiktaalik is simple. To make the highest quality Adventure Gear possible. This is by no means easy when you're a one-man-show on a shoe string budget so your support and patience is highly appreciated. For those of you who are on social media I would ask that you click to 'like' and 'follow' this new brand on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using the links in my signature below. Unfortunately I'm still a couple of months away from shipping product but as soon as I am ready I will make an announcement here. That said I am more than happy to put you on the pre-order list if you're interested in a specific item.

Thank you.

Carl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:21 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

SWEET!

Best of luck!!!
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:29 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Carl, great looking products dood.

I can guarantee the grill will sell like hot cakes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Damn! Vastly superior quality to what is out there today, and without the gay Euro bling effect some of the other aftermarket "upgrades" have.

You need a request/idea qeue to tap into the overland market!

What the hell does Tiktaalik stand for? Is that Mexican or something? Yer' not from these parts are you son?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:58 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Very nice!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Mark!

Please consider my brand the polar opposite of gay Euro bling.

I have more ideas than I know what to do with but I really do appreciate everyones input so an idea queue sounds great! Please feel free to send ideas or problems that you think needs to be resolved. I really enjoy the conversations and feedback to improve a particular product in order to make it better.

Tiktaalik is a missing link, a tetra-pod (walking fish) that they found fossils of up in Canada fairly recently. The thought behind the name being: 'a fish out of water' or 'getting out of your element to explore'.

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2014 11:09 AM ------

Thanks Chuck, Pedro and Forrest!
-
-
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
God made G-Wagens and Range Rovers to spare the suffering and humiliation of Land Rover Defenders...

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2014 02:12 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post

Tiktaalik is a missing link, a tetra-pod (walking fish) that they found fossils of up in Canada fairly recently.
I got it. Makes sense. This is also known per Wikepedia as the "Briggs Effect"

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I'm digging the rear NAS light guards! And the grill is sweet!!
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:24 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Great looking quality. simple design like stock is the way to go
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:29 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
How much is the grill?
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Rear Nas gards look nice but do they extend out past the rear of the vehicle? May get ripped off if it does. Looks good
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdoc View Post
Rear Nas gards look nice but do they extend out past the rear of the vehicle? May get ripped off if it does. Looks good
They look similar but better made than the LR stuff that I currently have. Something tells me I'm going to be putting a few parts away in the closet for the future as soon as the order books opens.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Post prices and when you think the production products will be ready. I just put all new stuff on my truck, but I might be convinced to bite the bullet and put the installed stuff into inventory!
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Looking forward to having a set on my truck. Let me know when they're ready!

Thinking about adding a grille to my order...
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

What I meant is do they extend out past the right and left rear corners?
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:54 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Congratulations Carl! If you order any of Carl's products, you are going to be very happy you did. They are well made and look fantastic on the truck. Yes... fantastic!!
Old July 24th, 2014, 04:07 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
God made G-Wagens and Range Rovers to spare the suffering and humiliation of Land Rover Defenders...

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2014 02:12 PM ------

I got it. Makes sense. This is also known per Wikepedia as the "Briggs Effect"
This picture is sad... very sad to see.

Old July 24th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Once I have chosen the vendor for final production the pricing will be calculated. The fabricators helping me with the current prototypes will not be doing the production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd10014 View Post
How much is the grill?
------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2014 01:43 PM ------

Will do. You guys will be the first to know. I have set a target for October shipping but it all comes down to finding the right fit for vendor who will do mass production. Once I have a vendor lined up that I can trust to do a good job and have reasonable pricing then it should move relatively quickly from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
Post prices and when you think the product products will be ready. I just put all new stuff on my truck, but I might be convinced to bite the bullet and put the installed stuff into inventory!
-
-
Old July 24th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

The rear guards were replicated from the original NAS rear guard design so the dimensions are for all intents and purposes the same. That said I do believe they are flush or stick out slightly. I am with you. I would prefer that they not stick out. It's just a matter of moving them in a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdoc View Post
------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2014 01:51 PM ------

Thanks Carmen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Congratulations Carl! If you order any of Carl's products, you are going to be very happy you did. They are well made and look fantastic on the truck. Yes... fantastic!!
-
-
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:11 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Love the grill.
I had spitballed something like that, but for a diesel, that you could adjust the rad side in the winter to close the slats. Leaving the intercooler open. Kind of a 60/40 split.
Feel free to steal my idea.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft