Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old July 31st, 2015, 11:28 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Fjällräven Keb Endurance Expedition Tents - Limited Offer

Starting in 2016, Fjällräven will be bringing their high quality tents to the US. During the next two weeks I will be accepting pre-orders for their brand new Keb Endurance Expedition tent. The pre-order price is 30% off retail price + shipping. The coupon code is LMTKEB and it expires on August 14th when the pre-order window closes. The tents are scheduled for delivery in March of 2016. Go here to place your order. For those of you who are not familiar with tunnel tents, they are a highly stable and durable design particularly suited for harsh conditions. The generous vestibules are great for storing gear, cooking when it rains, or for having a separate sleeping area for your dog, amongst other things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik Keb Endurance Tent Snow.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	126205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akka_bla_vinter.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	126206  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:22 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
In green only? That's a hell of a deal. Fjällräven stuff is awesome.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:24 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

They come in Pine Green and UN Blue. I can add the UN Blue version if there is interest.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2015, 06:06 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I'm really tempted as those look like awesome tents, but I was thinking of getting a smaller backpacking tent for when I'm by myself. Right now I have a Snow Peak Amenity Dome 4 that I bought used, which is a pretty nice tent. The big issue I have with it is that it takes two people to raise the two main polls as they are each probably 12' long.

I'm seriously considering this.
Old August 4th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

I have a Hilleberg Kaitum 2GT which is equivalent to the 2 person version of the Keb Endurance. It's a great size when I'm by myself and I wouldn't consider anything smaller than that. Once you get used to having a vestibule to store your gear its hard to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I'm really tempted as those look like awesome tents, but I was thinking of getting a smaller backpacking tent for when I'm by myself. Right now I have a Snow Peak Amenity Dome 4 that I bought used, which is a pretty nice tent. The big issue I have with it is that it takes two people to raise the two main polls as they are each probably 12' long.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik Akka 2 Layout.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	126394  
-
-
Old August 4th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post

8lbs isn't too heavy for backpacking and the large vestibules are great.
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin88RRC View Post
Agreed...however I read an article this morning that a lot more folks are foregoing the tent all together. I guess that would depend on many factors.
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin88RRC View Post
I think 8# is too heavy, I've used a Eureka 2-man timberline for 30 years off and on it's around 6# I also have a Big Agnes Seedhouse2 which is 2# 9oz. You can go lighter too.

I too have heard the trend is away from tents and going with a bivy sack or just an emergency foil blanket. Me,, I like someplace to get away from the insects if I need to.
Blog;
Old August 4th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'll "weigh" in on the matter with a short qualifier first…

My background is Mountaineering/fastpacking/backpacking in the Western USA and South America - Wonderland trail in 4 days (24 miles per day with 22,000 ft of elevation gain over the 95 mile trail), most of the PCT, the long trek into Machu Pichu, the 8KM Challenge (twice - summit Baldy, Gorgonio, Jacinto in 24hrs), Grand Canyon rim to rim (and a dozen river and back trips), various mountain summits, backcountry ski-traverses, canyoneering trips in UT and AZ, mutli-pitch rock climbing trips, guiding trips in Arizona and Southern California, and random backpacking trips in AK, WA, OR, CA, AZ, UT, CO, ID, CAN, MEX, etc…

Ok - 8lbs is too heavy for some uses and well within range on others

Too heavy for any casual 3-season carried uses at low elevation or a fast/light solo type trip (great tent if in a car or a motorcycle, on a horse, or carried by a porter)

Acceptable weight for two people on prolonged trip in moderate climates with expectation of extended cool & wet weather - summer in the bush in AK, two weeks along the olympic coast, etc…

Reasonable weight for a solo mountaineering base-camp tent or 4-season use - Rainier, Denali, Izta, Patagona, etc..

This tent (like several others) is designed for extended use in foul weather climates with durability in mind.

As to the "trend" of tent less travel - When going far and fast even 20+ years ago I was running tent less using a tarp and sleeping bag in the Olympic Rainforest (with rain EVERY day/night) - the issue is not sky protection but one of isolation from insects (Biting, stinging, burrowing, bugs…) On endurance trips I would run a bivy since the only need was dry sleep; regardless of the weather if we were awake we were walking. Or a bug-bivy if conditions were mild and humid

When above tree-line the tarp becomes useless and we would run tents that could survive the high winds possible - same goes for anticipating snow load.

The short summary is - this is an EXPEDITION tent well built by reputable maker for use in cool and damp conditions when foul weather is expected

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
expedition