Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:00 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

ECR/Safety Device NAS 90 racks

Feedback time:
We are working on the next version of the NAS 90 rack. Attached is an image of the prototype we have here at the shop. The rear ladder will be the same as previous versions. The front 2 cross bars will also be the same. The rack feet will be our new billet alloy units (not the old cast versions). It will all mount the same way on a soft top NAS 90 but the basket will be more along the lines of the ROX basket we make here at ECR. The images shows the SD version of the ROX basket. It can come in 2 versions. Short side (shown) or long side where the side rails extend about 3/4 up the sides. The front remains open so you can carry longer items or fold out a roof top tent.

Feedback needed on floors:
Do customers want a fixed floor? or a product that can be removed?
Do customers want a floor at all?

There will be a NAS 90 Wagon version that will bolt to the gutters. The wagons will no longer require the rear ladder. This means no drilling.

No data on pricing on this yet, still deciding what to make to hit the target market.

Thanks in advance,
ECR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05903.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	43551   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05900.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	43552  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Looks good. Why not offer the fiberboard style floor that SD offers for their other racks and was used on G4 challenge trucks. This way people can remove it if they want or not buy it at all if they have no use.
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Mike, you might considered throwing out an incentive in exchange for designs you may untimately leverage from? IDK, maybe you should give the person that provides a design a free rack and free shipping in return? I'm 100% sure there are some pretty talented folks out there with useful ideas. That way you will be more successful and its a fair trade at the same time.

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Removable Floor.
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Removable Floor.
Second on removable floor.
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM
esprit99
Keith Imbriglio
1997 D90 SW Arles Blue

I like the removable floor idea.
'97 D90 SW #2251 Arles blue
'16 RRE
'04 Disco
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Why a removable floor?
I need to understand the reasoning behind it.
What good is a rack on a soft top without a floor? You can't walk on it. Your gear falls through it.
If you put a bunch of fasteners on the rack to attach the removable floor to you create a ton of potential corrosion isssues.

I'm open to it, just looking for more info.

Thanks,
Mike, ECR

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2011 01:32 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Mike, you might considered throwing out an incentive in exchange for designs you may untimately leverage from? IDK, maybe you should give the person that provides a design a free rack and free shipping in return? I'm 100% sure there are some pretty talented folks out there with useful ideas. That way you will be more successful and its a fair trade at the same time.

Clay
The basic design is already set. Its gonna look like pretty much like that. I just need to know if there are details we should change or things we should add before going into production.

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Simply affixing the floor on top of the rack looks sloppy. My new stealth rack has floor sections that drop in, kind of like those false hanging ceilings. It's just a cleaner look. The rack also has provisions to mount either Thule and Yakima parts, and has 4 removable sides.

By no means am I competing with you as all my stuff is custom. I just incorporated what my customers said is the ideal rack design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Why a removable floor?
What good is a rack on a soft top without a floor? You can't walk on it. Your gear falls through it.
If you put a bunch of fasteners on the rack to attach the removable floor to you create a ton of potential corrosion isssues.

Thanks,
Mike, ECR

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2011 01:32 PM ------

The basic design is already set. Its gonna look like pretty much like that. I just need to know if there are details we should change or things we should add before going into production.

That's cool. FWIT, I just love the look of the SD rack the guy at Expedition Exchange has on his white SW. That's bitchen and looks Land Rover to me.
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
That's cool. FWIT, I just love the look of the SD rack the guy at Expedition Exchange has on his white SW. That's bitchen and looks Land Rover to me.
link? or picture?
I've seen it before and I know it can be available if there is enough demand (we'd need to order 10 or more).

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2011 02:18 PM ------

Image of one of the flooring options attached. Also shows the long side/ short sides.

I still need someone to convince me on why you would ever need a rack on a soft top 90 without a floor.

We have built a ton of 90 racks and not one customer has ever asked for no floor. Some are customers with the stock SD basket and they hate not having a floor. All of our ROX racks have a fixed floor with tons of tie down points.
It costs to ship floors here, then they have to be installed. It would be a separate piece, so it would cost more in shipping to customers.

In the UK they sell them without floors because they are trying to keep the price down.

I'm just not seeing it and am waiting to be convinced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Land_Rover_Defender_90_Safety_Devices_Explorer_roof_rack_L2290LRG_with_marine_ply_floor.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	43573  

Old November 10th, 2011, 02:22 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
Why a removable floor?

Thanks,
Mike, ECR

Mike, on the SW the floor removable floor wouldn't make so much of a difference... because you always have a roof there. But having that option on a ST would be nice for days you have the top off and no gear on top. I remember when I had my ST with the original SD rack and FarmTek flooring... with the top off, it still didn't give you that open air feel.
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
link? or picture?
I've seen it before and I know it can be available if there is enough demand (we'd need to order 10 or more).

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2011 02:18 PM ------

Image of one of the flooring options attached. Also shows the long side/ short sides.

I still need someone to convince me on why you would ever need a rack on a soft top 90 without a floor.

We have built a ton of 90 racks and not one customer has ever asked for no floor. Some are customers with the stock SD basket and they hate not having a floor. All of our ROX racks have a fixed floor with tons of tie down points.
It costs to ship floors here, then they have to be installed. It would be a separate piece, so it would cost more in shipping to customers.

In the UK they sell them without floors because they are trying to keep the price down.

I'm just not seeing it and am waiting to be convinced.
I like what you did with the flooring on this truck: NAS 110 # 116

Allows it to be functional, but if you have an ST allows light to get through.
Attached Images

Old November 10th, 2011, 02:28 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Mike, on the SW the floor removable floor wouldn't make so much of a difference... because you always have a roof there. But having that option on a ST would be nice for days you have the top off and no gear on top. I remember when I had my ST with the original SD rack and FarmTek flooring... with the top off, it still didn't give you that open air feel.
Point taken. Thanks.

So as a customer you are willing to pay extra for this option when just making the rack in the first place with a floor would be cheaper?

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2011 02:29 PM ------

Quote:

That is the ROX rack, the way I think they should be built.

I'm resisting the wooden/composite floor idea as I just don't see the point (well, I see one point).

Look forward to more feedback.

Old November 10th, 2011, 02:34 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

Point taken. Thanks.

So as a customer you are willing to pay extra for this option when just making the rack in the first place with a floor would be cheaper?
Personally I would. I am the customer that buys the soft top, but likes the option of having a removable hard top.

If you had a rack with flooring like #116, it wouldn't be as bad. But if the floor was built like the one you posted above. I would not put that rack on a ST. But thats just me....
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

I've been giving this a lot of thought as well for the rack I'm building. I don't think I'm any closer to a decision. I like seeing everyones ideas. Here are my random thoughts.

I prefer walking around on composite as opposed to an expanded metal. I don't think it flexes quite as much. That is about the only reason I would choose it.

I think the lifespan of composite would be less than that of expanded metal.

With expanded metal you can wash the roof of a SW off easily with a wand at the car wash.

You have numerous locations to attach a bungee with expanded metal.

If you have a sun roof or soft top you still get the light.

EM is easier to affix to the framework. (assuming you weld it)

EM is more expensive.

If I do go with EM I haven't come up with a good idea for sealing the EM where it overlaps the framework unless it was powder coated prior to being installed. This would not allow for welding it down.

Guess I would vote for flooring just not sure what product.
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:08 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Interested in the two cross bars and mounts. What is their availability? The idea being to mount a smaller rack that can be removed or installed by one person. As much as I like the full rack, it will not fit into a standard garage. A smaller rack can be installed when the need arises -- like heading to ROTR tomorrow.

Keep up the great work!
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:

X2 on the flooring on #116. It seems to be the best of all worlds. Looks good.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Interested in the two cross bars and mounts. What is their availability? The idea being to mount a smaller rack that can be removed or installed by one person. As much as I like the full rack, it will not fit into a standard garage. A smaller rack can be installed when the need arises -- like heading to ROTR tomorrow.

Keep up the great work!
The cross bars we keep in stock.

Original rack feet: we have a set on ebay now.

or:
We just took off a 1/2 rack from a 90 ST here at the shop that has a little surface rust. We'd sell that cheap. Email if you want to see an image of that used rack. You can see it on the Yellow 90 getting a frame on our Facebook page.

Old November 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I like that floor on 116 too
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:18 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Why a removable floor?
Uh, yeah. Actually, you're correct. I can't think of any significant reason for a removable floor on a SW and now request a unremovable floor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
90, ac, ecr, nas, rack