Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old December 19th, 2010, 04:53 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder View Post
a Range Rover Supercharged Autobiography anyday!
Saw one of those at the dealer...BARF!!!

Range = Cool
Rover = Cool
Supercharged = Really Cool
Authbio...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

What does this mean for Rovers North?
Old December 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Someone said earlier that RN is tied in direct with Land Rover, so they *may* not have to change their name. I'd be curious to see though...or maybe I'll ask Steve next time I'm up there, which should be next month.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
The LRNA legal team must not have much to do or they made a great sales presentation to use funds to go after anything with the Rover name. I am not a marketing expert but would think any place that had the Rover name would be a benefit for them. Wouldn't that be greater "top of mind awareness"?

This legal move and the points brought up in the thread about the snobby Range Rover owner seem to show that Land Rover wants to move away from it's heritage. My local dealer has the safari/expedition/Series/Defender propaganda all over the place but then the RR Sports and Disco 4's are slammed to the ground with big rims and some with chromie packages added-on. (But I do have to say, the heads behind the parts counter are always psyched when I come in looking for Defender parts and they know their stuff).

But back on topic - I do like the ecr4x4.com URL. It's short, easy to type, easy to remember, and looks good. Good move ECR.
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Legally you can probably fight this and win. The problem is do you want to pay for the fight? I am guessing LRNA pockets are deeper than most vendors.
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

So I guess locating parts for a "Rover" won't be as simple as searching for anything with "Rover" in the search. Wonder what they'll do about eBay?
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:58 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

LRNA cannot make you change your name for simply having "rover" in it. Maybe they can if you have the term "rover" inside of a green oval. Hell, I doubt they can if you have a green oval alone. Use the reasonable perosn standard. Ask a reasonable person what east coast rover is and they will no be able to tell you what it is, or that it has to do with LRNA. If they sent me a letter, I would laugh at them. If they sent me a summons, then I would only be worried because these cases can end up costing a pretty penny when up against a large company.
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Sadly they can.
They have the word "Rover" as it relates to anything Land Rover trade marked. As I own a Land Rover based business and use their trade marked name in my company name and in my domain name they can go after me for using their trade mark without authorization.

I know many folks who have gone through this. Some have fought it. No one I know of has spent enough money to win.

From one of the formal letters to another shop:

"Because you are using the ROVER mark as part of your trade name and trademark to describe your goods and services, consumers are likely to be confused and believe that you/your goods/services are endorsed by and/or affiliated by Land Rover. Therefore, your use of the ROVER trademark constitutes trademark infringement and does not qualify as nominative fair use.
Furthermore, your use of the term "Rover" in your trade name and domain name is likely to dilute the distinctive and famous Land Rover Trademarks by lessening the ability of those marks to denote Land Rover products and authorized services."

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Maybe you should just put a big disclaimer at the top of your home page stating that you are in no way affiliated with LRNA other than through parts bought legally from them and that your end product in every way is far superior to anything they have ever produced. That should end any confusion.
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
LRNA cannot make you change your name for simply having "rover" in it. Maybe they can if you have the term "rover" inside of a green oval. Hell, I doubt they can if you have a green oval alone. Use the reasonable perosn standard. Ask a reasonable person what east coast rover is and they will no be able to tell you what it is, or that it has to do with LRNA. If they sent me a letter, I would laugh at them. If they sent me a summons, then I would only be worried because these cases can end up costing a pretty penny when up against a large company.
I guess thats just it-the reasonable person standard is out the window. Companies we are more inclined to change domains, logo's and company names, than spend money fighting a fight that Land Rover can and will out spend the defendant to win. Laughing @ the letter doesn't work.

BTW the oval doesn't even have to be green, their comments in my letter had to do with simply using an oval.
I'm told they have gone after Will Tillery as well. He's one man, parting out primarily disco's. How he could possibly be "confusing" LRNA's customers is anyone's guess.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I heard they are shutting down http://www.rovers.com because it's very likely that a geographical surveying company will be confused with LRNA. I myself recently strolled into their Buffalo NY office demanding to know where I could buy genuine Land Rover sweatshirts, and imagine my surprise when all I found was survey equipment and blank stares. Of course, I am joking.

I AM however tempted to legally change my name to Jason Rover Lavender, then snap up all the website domains that you are being forced to sell and then allow you to conduct your business through my store-front under the pretense that you are now in fact operating under my legal name and not LRNA.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Sadly they can.
They have the word "Rover" as it relates to anything Land Rover trade marked. As I own a Land Rover based business and use their trade marked name in my company name and in my domain name they can go after me for using their trade mark without authorization.

I know many folks who have gone through this. Some have fought it. No one I know of has spent enough money to win.
I think you guys are doing the right thing. Much cheaper to spend a few hundred dollars on a new URL and a little extra website work than more than a few thousand fighting with LRNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
From one of the formal letters to another shop:

...is likely to dilute the distinctive and famous Land Rover Trademarks by lessening the ability of those marks to denote Land Rover products and authorized services."
Seeing what you guys do with Land Rover (especially fixing some of those famous Land Rover "Trademarks") made me laugh when reading that sentence.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I dream about Land Rovers, am I in trouble too? (Cue Inception and Leonard DiCaprio entering my dreams to sue me).

Semper Fi!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Back in the day, early ninties, I think, Mercedes and BMW did the same thing. They went on a massive campaign to protect their trademarks. They targeted independent shops and parts sources very successfully. They, like Land Rover, will spend whatever it takes.
Even if you fought them and managed to win, they would just come back at you again.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Late 90's, Porsche did the same thing to all kinds of enthusiast websites, restorers, and mechanics. Same response, same 'selling out' accusations. The attorneys need something to justify their billable hours.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks for all the comments guys. I know it seems silly, but whatcha gonna do...

I've been getting a number of emails from other places/shops that got "the letter" asking about what I did and how I can help them. Sadly, I can't help at all. I know I'm not prepared to fight it and I never even got "the letter" and have decided to change our name, logo and web site so that I can do it on my own terms without deadlines and such imposed by LRNA.

I don't know any way to get out of it, nor do I have any legal advice for those who want to fight it.

Good luck to those who fight it.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
ecr