Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old November 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
DNW Group Buy – our favorite camp knives...

Lots of great product coming into our store over the coming months and we wanted to share the awesome tools we use with our favorite forum folks. Where possible we will be offering a limited group buy as we launch a product line to pass on good products at great prices.

The Opinel line has long been one of my personal favorite camping companions - both in the toolbox and the camp kitchen. I received a No. 6 carbon steel Opinel on my 8th birthday as a gift from my Grandfather - a knife that traveled with me on every backpacking trip until well into my teen years. (sadly lost to a capsized canoe near Wasilla one late summer) And unlike most other knives I carried in my youth the locking blade never managed to bite me on accident.

For those who are not familiar with the product line, the Opinel family began making knives in France, and since 1890 the series design has not changed. Over the years a second blade material in Inox (stainless steel) has been sold alongside the original high-carbon steel blades. The simplicity of the lock mechanism makes it safe and intuitive to use, the handles are comfortable and sturdy, and the steel is high quality. The classic carbon steel is my favorite as it takes an edge quickly and easily - the stainless is slower to loose sharpness and keeps its luster.

As we are newly an Opinel retailer - we are offering the following group buy to introduce the line and celebrate a great product.

There are 5 of each of the following available in the group buy pricing, we will ship any size knife order for $6 via USPS flat rate.

#6 CARBON STEEL BLADE BEECHWOOD HANDLE FOLDING KNIFE - $8
#7 CARBON STEEL BLADE BEECHWOOD HANDLE FOLDING KNIFE - $9
#8 CARBON STEEL BLADE BEECHWOOD HANDLE FOLDING KNIFE - $10
#9 CARBON STEEL BLADE BEECHWOOD HANDLE FOLDING KNIFE - $11

#6 STAINLESS STEEL BLADE BEECHWOOD HANDLE FOLDING KNIFE - $9
#7 STAINLESS STEEL BLADE BEECHWOOD HANDLE FOLDING KNIFE - $10
#8 STAINLESS STEEL BLADE BEECHWOOD HANDLE FOLDING KNIFE - $11
#9 STAINLESS STEEL BLADE BEECHWOOD HANDLE FOLDING KNIFE - $12

Blade sizing as follows:

We recommend the No. 6 as a casual pocket-knife, the No. 7 as a picnic or pocket knife, The No. 8 as the best all around camp knife, and the No. 9 as an awesome packable steak knife or a prep knife for your camp kitchen.

Stainless for occasional use and carbon when you want a razor sharp edge that will take on a personality of its own as it ages.

Above pricing is limited to pre-purchase sales only and to the quantity available. Special orders and regular stock items will be available in the store or via email - please let us know if you want something special from Opinel and we can quote you. Group buy pricing closes in two weeks or when all special buy quantities are sold out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2014, 04:57 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I have had my two Opinels for some 25 years now, plain carbon steel. A good knife for cheap price.

BUT please turn the twist lock before using, as the blade folds back with little pressure your fingers will thank you.

I think mine are the 7 and the very small one, might another as a B/day gift to me.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Explorer0863
Tony Q
1957 Series I V8

Registry
I wasn't familiar with Opinel. They look great.

If I order more than one, is the $6 dollar shipping charge per knife or per order. Also, do they come with a sheath or just the knife. Thanks!

Current:
1957 SI 88" 3.9L V8
1999 Disco 2 White Gold

Previous:
1999 Disco 2 Rioja Red
1994 RRC LWB
1991 RRC SWB
1995 RRC SWB
1969 IIA Sta Wgn 109" NADA #798/811
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer0863 View Post
I wasn't familiar with Opinel. They look great.

If I order more than one, is the $6 dollar shipping charge per knife or per order. Also, do they come with a sheath or just the knife. Thanks!
Group buy is knives only - we can add sheaths in as well if people want them

Sheaths run between $8 and $25 depending on style and size. I've always just tossed them in a pocket or pack as they stay closed nicely.

$6 ships the entire knife order - one knife or ten knives will ship for $6
The knives will ship free with any Defender parts or accessory purchase.

They are live on the website now and are first come first serve at the promotional pricing - be sure to add the promotional shipping item to your basket to get the $6 pricing. Group buy is pre-order through the 17th and we will ship as soon as product is delivered to us (~5 days) from the group buy close.
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:22 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Thanks! Order placed-

Always loved French knives and corkscrews.

Cheers
Jay
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:59 AM
tpond
Toby Pond

I highly recommend the carbon version. I keep mine super sharp with very little effort.
Old November 8th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpond View Post
I highly recommend the carbon version. I keep mine super sharp with very little effort.
Im also a big proponent of carbon steel blades…

Besides the fact that they take and edge easier they get better as they develop a patina.

Old November 10th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
One week left for the group buy - should anyone want to order an item that is not in the group buy from Opinel we can add in to the inbound shipment and will be able to ship to you under the flat rate shipping deal associated with the group buy.

Camp saw anyone?

Old November 10th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Camp saw anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137024
Oh nice… can I add that to my order before it ships?
Yes - they have been added to the webstore

If your previous order included the Opinel flat rate shipping promo (it did) there is no need to add another shipping method to the basket and it will go with the existing order.
Old November 10th, 2014, 02:29 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Very nice knives. I had one when I was younger that my father had gotten me when he was stationed in Europe in the 80's. Lost it on a camping trip when I was 13

My son's Webelos pack are working towards their whittling chip and this would be a great knife for them to do their initial whittling project with. I'll be placing an order for a half dozen or so of the #7 size later this week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:47 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Purchased. Thanks.
Old November 11th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
Very nice knives. I had one when I was younger that my father had gotten me when he was stationed in Europe in the 80's. Lost it on a camping trip when I was 13

My son's Webelos pack are working towards their whittling chip and this would be a great knife for them to do their initial whittling project with. I'll be placing an order for a half dozen or so of the #7 size later this week.
Loosing them seems to be the primary reason people stop using them - myself included.

Sent replies to the half dozen folks who asked questions as I just returned from a wild and windy camping trip into the Olympic mountains for the holiday weekend.

Group buy pricing closes on the 17th or when the group-buy supply is sold out of each size. Regular price versions are available on the webstore as well if one wanted a size that was sold out on the group buy pricing - we will still honor the promotional shipping $6 for the whole knife order (please include the promo shipping item in your basket or we will have to send you an invoice for $6).

As always the knives ship free with any standard shipping items (defender parts…)
Old November 15th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Update time…

The group-buy pricing will close on Tuesday the 18th… There are a few sizes left at the promotional price (but not many) - our regular inventory can ship with the group buy items under the same $6-flat rate promo shipping.

The inventory is inbound and scheduled to deliver to us Thursday - We will have the knives packed and shipped out by Friday - for those of you who have other items they will all ship together (except for those of you who bought large items - you know who you are -those have shipped already)

Be sure to add the shipping promo to your cart if you want you knives shipped, or you can pickup from the December Seattle NWOS (Northwest Overland Society) Meetup, the goods folks at Tiktaalik in Portland, or as always from our shop in Gig Harbor.

Folks who attended the Seattle NWOS meetup this week were treated to a preview of some of the very cool upcoming group buy events! We have samples headed to the Desert Southwest for testing and evaluation this week, and I am doing a little product testing this afternoon myself.

Brian
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:33 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Everyone shipped - save for the couple folks who forgot to add shipping to their orders... Click image for larger version

Name:	image-16146349.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	683.6 KB
ID:	107282

A few left in inventory until the next order arrives on the 25th...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft