Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old November 17th, 2012, 11:08 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
They picked the right week to do this, the RN site has not been working well at all.
Rover's North brought a new web store (front end to their database) on line and yes it doesn't load properly for me either. The actual data retrieved from the back end database does not load on my computer. All I see is the store front minus the stuff that would come from the database.

One big problem BP had is that the people who designed and built the new BP web site were really really bad at search engine optimization (SEO) and just so so at user interface design.

BP had an old database that could not interface with the web, so the site I ran for them had to be a stand alone store. The only connection to the BP database was once a month when Steve would manually type in the price list and upload it to a price look up script I wrote. The old site was usually #3 or #4 on the Google search returns so always showed up in the search return screens without scrolling. Sometimes above Rovers North sometimes just below them.

When Allmakes bought out British Pacific they built a new web site that was a front end to the Allmakes database which is new enough to be web savvy. When the new site went live there were a lot of customer complaints and Allmakes/British Pacific rehired me to to go through the new site and recommend user interface improvements. They ended up implementing all my user interface recommendations and ended up with a much nicer user experience.

However the site was not remotely search engine friendly and fell dramatically in the search engine rankings so that you need to scroll down a couple of screens before you find the BP site in search returns. Bottom line is that if you searched for Land Rover parts you found everyone else long before finding BP. And a web retailer lives and dies by the search engine return position. And you need a steady flow of new customers to live.

The company managing the Atlantic British web site is very very good at search engine optimization but not so good at customer centered user interface. Either that or they are restrained from doing a decent job by an outside force such as database related limitations or lack of funds to rebuild the store and drive in a user centered interface.

So at this moment of time:

- BP lost it because potential new customers could not find their site

- AB is not getting the sales they could be getting because the user interface is inhibiting customers from finding what they are looking for

- RN just uploaded a new store front that is not loading properly for a lot of folks. A hazard of not a wide enough testing programme before going live.

- Neither AB nor RN have to adjust prices to try and stay competitive with BP who was trying to be the low cost US retailer.

It is a dynamic imperfect world we buy parts in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2012, 11:29 AM
GLetorney
Graham Letorney
LR 2, Defender 90

New Rovers North website

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
The actual data retrieved from the back end database does not load on my computer. All I see is the store front minus the stuff that would come from the database.
Hi TeriAnn,
I hope you are well. Sorry to hear you are having trouble, if you have a chance, please give me a call at the number below regarding any trouble you may be experiencing. We have served nearly 10,000 visitors since our launch last week and we are seeing very few guests having problems, that I am aware of. If there are others who are experiencing a problem, I am very interested in speaking with you directly for feedback.

We invested 24 months of ground up development with a keen eye towards browser compatibility. That is not to say there is no chance of problems, but I am certain I can get any outstanding issues resolved.

Please give me a call, I look forward to assisting you.

Cheers,
Graham Letorney
Direct line: 802-662-8045

Rovers North Inc.
Website Dev Team Leader
1319VT. Rt.128
Westford, Vermont
USA 05494-9601
ph: 800-403-7591 x245
direct line: 802-662-8045
fx: 802-879-9152
www.roversnorth.com
The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts

------ Follow up post added November 19th, 2012 11:38 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Don't you need a password or some shite to get on there now?
Hey Fish,
Regarding passwords - it is only a reset. Due to the site encryption I did not have access to your old password. If you had an account on our old web store, you will need to reset your password for the new store.

Best,
Graham L.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:54 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Graham, TeriAnn is not the only one, just the only one that posted. I've found if you use the defender drop down click on body exterior to pull up the overview diagram, then click on front bumper and grill you will only get door hinges no grills bumpers etc. Made it a bit difficult to check out replacement grill prices.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Graham, TeriAnn is not the only one, just the only one that posted. I've found if you use the defender drop down click on body exterior to pull up the overview diagram, then click on front bumper and grill you will only get door hinges no grills bumpers etc. Made it a bit difficult to check out replacement grill prices.
That happens all over the RN overview diagram. Click on one thing and it brings up random parts or not what you are looking for.

Semper Fi!
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:49 PM
GLetorney
Graham Letorney
LR 2, Defender 90

Thanks for the heads up on the Defender Body Exterior, I have corrected this misguided link -

http://shop.roversnorth.com/Products...y=cat&code=179

I am not aware of others, and I appreciate your feedback here. We have 950 categories displaying tens of thousands of LR parts, I hope you can forgive these typos while the site is young. Fortunately misguided links are a quick fix.

I am very interested in speaking with anybody who is having a technical issue (page not loading, etc). These tend to be larger, systematic problems.

Please do feel free to call if you have any questions along the way.

Cheers,
Graham
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Graham, is there any way to have your database show if a part is on back order when the order is placed? Several times recently I've placed orders only to find out by calling to find out why I hadn't received it that the part was still in transit to you.

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I tried out the new RN site last week for the first time from work. My work laptop is obviously enterprise managed and has IE version 7 on it. I was disappointed to find out that alot of the site functions would not work for me, and the website had a header stating that my browser was not compatible.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:09 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Will AB stop selling to Canadians the way BP did?
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

BP was a fantastic resource with excellent prices...however I am not sure how much inventory they actually had in the states. I ordered from them quite regularly over the past two years and it was usually a 3-6 week wait for a part. If I needed something fast I always used Roversnorth.
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I tried out the new RN site last week for the first time from work. My work laptop is obviously enterprise managed and has IE version 7 on it. I was disappointed to find out that alot of the site functions would not work for me, and the website had a header stating that my browser was not compatible.
x2 it called my browser "out dated" how rude!!
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:59 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Will the name change to ABP, please?

I'm sad to see BP as we knew it disappear (web site, etc). The frame swap/rebuild of my '66 by Pat and BP saved me a ton of money.

The only good thing for selfish me is that they are closer than when they were in Santa Clarita.

I'm looking forward to compare new pricing with RN and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
x2 it called my browser "out dated" how rude!!
Sorry, but if you're still using IE7, then get used to these types of messages. I worked at an online retailer that dropped IE7 support simply because it did not generate any revenue relative to the amount of effort/cost to support.

Old November 20th, 2012, 09:03 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage View Post
Will AB stop selling to Canadians the way BP did?
We are happy to ship world wide.

Cheers
Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old November 20th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sure is awesome when I have a brand new USGI laptop and the web browser isn't supported by the RN website. Now what will I do with all my free time at work?

Semper Fi!
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

You need to do more work and less Internet trolling anyway wolf...lol...
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:38 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLetorney View Post
Hi TeriAnn,
We invested 24 months of ground up development with a keen eye towards browser compatibility. That is not to say there is no chance of problems, but I am certain I can get any outstanding issues resolved.

Please give me a call, I look forward to assisting you.
Sorry for not calling you guys. I've been on the road/trail and am one of those troglodytes that do not own a cell phone. Whereas I can find hot spots in just about any town and some country gas stations that serve food. The powers that be have removed the pay phones assuming the world has moved to the expensive cellular. My land line is $13/mo. When they get cell plans down to about $20/mo with unlimited calling I'll probably switch over.

For me the store front loads except for the data retrieved from your database.

Firefox 16.0.2 for Mac, add-ons: JSView 2.0.8, Web Developer 1.2.2 and AdBlock Plus 2.1.2

Any chance AdBlock Plus thinks your data is a pop up ad?

Old November 20th, 2012, 10:38 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Ordering from the UK is usually the least expensive option, all things considered.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Ordering from the UK is usually the least expensive option, all things considered.
Shipping is the killer so the more things you order at one time to put into a single box/pallet the cheaper each item is when you include shipping for that item.

When I decided to make a big Exmoor Trim order last year I saved big time ordering through a UK dealer over any of the US sources I checked. All new elephant hide deluxe door panels, kick panel & inside bulkhead trim and heated Rayleigh defender seat cover kits.

Old November 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl View Post
We are happy to ship world wide.

Cheers
Eric
The way the website is setup to go throw a 3rd party for shipping is a PITA and add a lot of cost. There is no reason your normal system could not work with Canada and show shipping costs. Most mail order companies do not have these problems. As it sits, it is quicker and cheaper to ship from the UK, which should not be the case.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM
GLetorney
Graham Letorney
LR 2, Defender 90

Inventory Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Graham, is there any way to have your database show if a part is on back order when the order is placed? Several times recently I've placed orders only to find out by calling to find out why I hadn't received it that the part was still in transit to you.
Yes, our new website currently shows inventory availability. This feature enables you to order with a good idea of when your parts will ship. Look for the Availability notice on each item.

GL
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM
GLetorney
Graham Letorney
LR 2, Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I was disappointed to find out that a lot of the site functions would not work for me, and the website had a header stating that my browser was not compatible.
You may have noticed many websites (including industry leading gmail) no longer support IE7, this is because it does not utilize the current lighter, faster and more secure technologies.

In any case, I do appreciate your feedback and I have softened our message - it is more correct to say our site is "not optimized" for IE7, 95% of the functionality SHOULD still work.
I trust you will let me know if you run into specific problems.

Here is a bit of our thinking on the matter: in building our new and improved website we had to decide how many versions back to go with compatibility. We worked HARD to ensure IE8 was compatible and chasing IE8 specific bugs added several months to the build time (it could be noted that IE is a notorious drag on the website development community).

In the end we leaned on our stats. Our analytic tell us that less than 2% of visitors are using browsers we are not optimized for. Rather than build for sun-setting browsers, we decided we would be best serving our diverse customer base by spending our development time and budget to incorporate additional features. Especially as the numbers of users on older browsers is shrinking exponentially while the same goes for the growth of users on new browsers.

GL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
ac