Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old November 15th, 2012, 02:30 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Wow fascinating. So did steve sell to BA? Is he still involved with BP?
Steve was no longer having fun running BP for some time now, had been working long hours and had been wanting to spend more time with his family. Around a year and a half ago he sold his part in BP to Richard at Allmakes and left the company. Marty has been managing it ever since under Richard's direction. BP has been bleeding red Just about every quarter since the economy tanked but Allmakes wanted to keep a sales presence in the US (They also provide a lot of Rovers North's Proline parts). The hope was that the economy would improve and BP would again be profitable.

My guess is that Allmakes decided that they were too far from BP and didn't have enough US marketing savvy to bring BP back to profitability within a reasonable time frame so made a deal with AB.

Thankfully the folks still at BP still have a job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
inventory.

Allmakes is going through the BP inventory and will be shipping some of the BP inventory back to the UK. Some of it will be going to the dumpster and some to the new AB/BP location. No moving sale, I already checked.
Dumpster? Thats just silly. Have a parking lot sale at the least. I wonder if they are moving everything part and parcel to the new location first (not likely) or are going through it before moving. Looks like I need to be doing some dumpster diving..
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c View Post
The prices will go up and in line with RN. Competition is good
I used to keep track of frequent visitors to the BP web site and there was an Atlantic British email address that was always was among the top visiting URLs on a weekly basis. I never was able to identify a Rover's North address but all three companies kept a close eye on what the other companies prices were and often adjusted prices to be a little lower than the others. Steve wanted BP to be the low cost leader and cut BP margins thin to do it.

So yes, competition was good for us customers.

One of the problem that BP has had since I left their employ is that I was the only SEO they had and the Allmakes folks have no idea how to get and maintain ranking. When I had the BP web site BP was always in the top 5 organic returns, usually in the #2 and occasionally #3 return spot. Their ranking as dropped considerably since I left and is now down around #20 or lower depending upon the search terms. This made it harder for people looking for LR parts to find BP's web site. I believe that this accelerated BP's financial demise since they could not get new customers from web searches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
They need to go old school and get a dancing and waving can of 90W on the street corner spinning a sign. For some reason, businesses at least around here think that works.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Wow....right after i bought isolators for a wicked price. Bp's prices and service was fantastic for me.
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
Steve was no longer having fun running BP for some time now, had been working long hours and had been wanting to spend more time with his family. Around a year and a half ago he sold his part in BP to Richard at Allmakes and left the company. Marty has been managing it ever since under Richard's direction. BP has been bleeding red Just about every quarter since the economy tanked but Allmakes wanted to keep a sales presence in the US (They also provide a lot of Rovers North's Proline parts). The hope was that the economy would improve and BP would again be profitable.

My guess is that Allmakes decided that they were too far from BP and didn't have enough US marketing savvy to bring BP back to profitability within a reasonable time frame so made a deal with AB.

Thankfully the folks still at BP still have a job.

Wow, that means a lot to me since I've known Marty and Steve from way back in the day. Tim later on but I still remember laurence and when BP was in Pasadena on Green street. I know I'm old. I am glad Marty is running the place, can't believe steve moved on. He used to fly commercial airliners I was told. If BP wasn't so far I would visit them more often. Santa Clarita is a bit of a ways for me here in Los Angeles. But I remember they would always bend over backwards for me when I needed something. So many fond memories with those guys. thanks for the update terri. Well I guess no need for keith to be sore about getting laid off now since it dosen't matter at this point. What about BP relationship with Pat the rebiulder? I should give him a call.

Robert Deniro
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos
Wow....right after i bought isolators for a wicked price. Bp's prices and service was fantastic for me.
X2... Sad to see them go.

Semper Fi!
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:49 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

BP always had the best prices and great service. I guess it couldn't last forever. Went on the AB website just to check it out and found the old BP site to be much more user friendly.
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Now how can I get brn24whl as my automatic pop up on roverparts.com site?
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:01 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
That is luck of the draw since we don't control when or to who we pop up. Would be great if I could control that.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Now how can I get brn24whl as my automatic pop up on roverparts.com site?
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old November 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Fwiw Eric has been able to get me pretty much whatever I need for the build of my 84 90" I just call him or email.

With that said the site does not have much listed for non NAS rovers compared to rovers north.

I am sure you lose a bunch of business because most people do not bother to call or email if it is not listed.
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c View Post
Competition is good
The UK vendors appear to be getting more and more used to shipping to the States. Recently I've been getting parts from Britcar and Paddocks more quickly and cheaply that I can get them from the US vendors if the US vendors are even willing to get them. Valve cover gasket for my truck was here in 3 days from Britcar when the only US vendor that said they could get it was . . . BP.
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:49 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
The UK vendors appear to be getting more and more used to shipping to the States. Recently I've been getting parts from Britcar and Paddocks more quickly and cheaply that I can get them from the US vendors if the US vendors are even willing to get them. Valve cover gasket for my truck was here in 3 days from Britcar when the only US vendor that said they could get it was . . . BP.
X2

A friend recently got all the rebuild parts to do the bottom end of his 4.6 from Turner in the UK. He got them cheaper from Turner than he could source them here in the US even with shipping included. Parts were at his place here in CA the next day with standard shipping via DHL..
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
I am sure you lose a bunch of business because most people do not bother to call or email if it is not listed.
Yep. The whole phone and order thing died a long, long time ago. Time to get with the times...

And this "http://www.roverparts.com/InternationalOrders/" does not make people from outside of the US want to use you guys....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It does seem like AB has started sending automated "thank you for your order" emails now, though, which is good.

Granted, they don't appear to be read when you reply to them, but it's a step forward. Hopefully this is all signs of good things to come!
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:23 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Now I understand why my BP order was canceled a few days ago.

Just got an email saying order was canceled. No explanation.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:00 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I too am dismayed that the rather awesome British Pacific website is gone. I have always hated going to the AB site, especially for the 300 Tdi. All I get is crap like paint touch up pens and Hylomar. To be honest, that's why RN and BP got 98% of my business.

Short story: the Atlantic British web site needs a major overhaul, and very rapidly.
Old November 16th, 2012, 06:20 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
They picked the right week to do this, the RN site has not been working well at all.
Old November 16th, 2012, 06:26 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
They picked the right week to do this, the RN site has not been working well at all.
Don't you need a password or some shite to get on there now?
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Are we suffering online window shopping withdrawal syndrome?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
ac