Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old October 12th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Announcing Five Tiktaalik Defender Products

It is my pleasure to be able to announce five new Land Rover Defender specific Tiktaalik products that will be available for pre-order on November 1st. All products are anodized aluminum which will never rust or flake like painted or powder coated steel products. The headlight surround and grill are intended to replace the stock plastic versions with a longer lasting, stronger and more durable version while maintaining the OEM appearance. The Defender Source discount of around 20% per product only applies to the first 40 sets/product category so if you want to be sure to receive the D-Source discount make sure you get your order in as soon as possible after the pre-orders become available on November 1st.

Design.
All the products except the Headlight Surround (which will be stamped one piece construction) are designed using a unique interlock assembly construction in order to increase structural rigidity and durability. The parts interlock and are plug welded, then tumbled and blasted to a smooth surface finish. All parts are made from 5052/6061 Aluminum. All products except the Headlight Surround (HS) will be sold with a Hard Black Anodized Finish (Type III). The Headlight Surround (HS) will be sold in a bare aluminum finish so that you can paint, powder coat or anodize to suit your Defender. The rendered images below shows the final design of each product. In 2-3 weeks when the "gold master" samples are finalized I will photograph them and post them up here.

Fitment.
The products are designed to fit into existing mounting points to the extent possible. The two front guards as well as the surround will fit in the existing headlight surround mounting holes. The rear NAS lamp guard will fit into the same holes as your existing NAS rear lamp guards. If you do not have rear lamp guards you will of course have to drill new holes. The OEM Grill will fit into the existing grill mounting holes as well. An important point about the Large Headlight guards (LG). The Large Headlight Guard (LG) does technically fit NAS and Military turn/marker bulb arrangements but I advise against this set up as there is too little clearance between the guard and the NAS /Military bulb housings. Too little clearance means no impact zone. If the guards are deformed from impact (as they should) they will be too close to the bulbs and likely will break them which defeats the purpose of a guard in the first place. There needs to be a an impact zone allowance between the guard and the bulb. Because the design would be to compromised if I made them work with every possible lamp option scenario I have the following recommendations:

For a NAS Defender: Small Headlight Guard (SG).
For a ROW Defender: Small Headlight Guard (SG) and Large Headlight Guard (LG).
For a Military Defender: Small Headlight Guard (SG) will fit but keep in mind that having no surround means a much larger gap between headlight and guard, particularly on the top and bottom. If this is a concern I recommend installing the Headlight Surround (HS) and painting it body color before installing the Small Headlight Guard (SG).

The Headlight Surround (HS) is designed to replace the ROW Defender Headlight Surround and it has the TD5 style horn/signal louvers detail. I chose the ROW version because this is my personal preference. I never liked the comically large NAS turn signal. This was the by-product of a forced importation requirement, not by original design or intention which is why my personal preference falls on the ROW version of the Headlight Surround design.

Minimum Order Quantity & Defender Source Discount.
Each product has a pre-order quantity threshold of a minimum of 40 sets/product which means that a minimum of 40 sets need to be pre-ordered for that product to go into production. If a product does not go into production you will receive a full refund but I will make every effort to avoid this situation by extending the group offer to other forums, world-wide. Please note that the D-Source discount only applies to the 40 first sets ordered. Once the order amount has reached 40 sets for a particular product the pricing will convert to standard pricing and the discount will no longer be valid. If you want to be sure to receive the discount make sure to order as soon as pre-orders become available on November 1st.

Defender Source Discount Pricing Offer.
All pricing is preliminary until product is finalized and may be subject to change. Here's what the current pricing estimates look like after the D-Source discount is applied:

Small Headlight Guard set (SG) - $240/set
Large Headlight Guard set (LG) - $450/set
Rear Lamp Guard set (RG) - $350/set
Headlamp Surround (HS) - $420/set
OEM Grill (OG) - $440/each

Order Process.
Pre-orders will be accepted via the Tiktaalik website starting November 1st, 2014. You'll be able to use a D-Source Discount code if you're a Defender Source Member. Please be aware that these products will not ship immediately upon placing your order. You are pre-ordering them in order to enable a crowd-sourced production. Once each product has reached its MOQ the order will be placed with the manufacturing facility and the production process at that point begin.

Shipping.
Shipping cost will be calculated per individual order once the product has arrived at the Tiktaalik HQ.

Timeline.
You patience and understanding for the development process is greatly appreciated. I am taking great care and attention to detail to make sure that each of these product come out just right which is why I have already spent a lot of time and resources on a number of iterations of prototypes for each of these products. Once the products have reached their MOQ please allow a minimum of 8 weeks for delivery. I will ensure that you are kept up-to-date with the progress of production along the way. Please note that the Headlight Surround, unlike the others, will be using a stamping process for production which requires tooling. This may result in this product taking a little longer to produce than the other products because the tooling first has to be built and tested before production can proceed.

Notification List.
If you would like to be put on a pre-order notification list please PM me with a list of the products that you are interested in as well as your name and email address. The Notification list is also a very helpful way for me to gauge interest in each product. I have a couple of names on this list already so it would be helpful for those of you who have already signed up to let me know that you are still interested.

I hope you are as excited about these products as I am. Don't hesitate to ask questions regarding product or fitment. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SG Front 101214.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	104836   Click image for larger version

Name:	SG ISO 101214.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	104837  

Name:	LG Front 101214.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	104838   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG ISO 101214.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	104839  

Name:	RG Front 101214.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	104840   Click image for larger version

Name:	RG ISO 101214.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	104841  

Name:	HS Front 101214.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	104842   Click image for larger version

Name:	HS ISO 101214.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	104843  

Name:	OG Front 101214.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	104844   Click image for larger version

Name:	OG ISO 101214.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	104845  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Carl:

I'm in for an OEM grille & small headlight guard (ROW).

Thanks for the update!

Paul.
Old October 12th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Paul!
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Tumbled parts

Sample parts are back from tumbling this week. Assembly beginning of next week then off to get hard anodized.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	105614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	105615  

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	105616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	105617  

-
-
Old October 26th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Ordering still scheduled for November?
Old October 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Ordering still scheduled for November?
-
-
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Still November but looking like Friday Nov 14th now as samples are slightly delayed. If they are finalized sooner I will announce it sooner. Thanks for your patience everyone.
-
-
Old November 9th, 2014, 10:30 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
It is my pleasure to be able to announce five new Land Rover Defender specific Tiktaalik products that will be available for pre-order on November 1st. All products are anodized aluminum which will never rust or flake like painted or powder coated steel products. The headlight surround and grill are intended to replace the stock plastic versions with a longer lasting, stronger and more durable version while maintaining the OEM appearance. The Defender Source discount of around 20% per product only applies to the first 40 sets/product category so if you want to be sure to receive the D-Source discount make sure you get your order in as soon as possible after the pre-orders become available on November 1st.

Design.
All the products except the Headlight Surround (which will be stamped one piece construction) are designed using a unique interlock assembly construction in order to increase structural rigidity and durability. The parts interlock and are plug welded, then tumbled and blasted to a smooth surface finish. All parts are made from 5052/6061 Aluminum. All products except the Headlight Surround (HS) will be sold with a Hard Black Anodized Finish (Type III). The Headlight Surround (HS) will be sold in a bare aluminum finish so that you can paint, powder coat or anodize to suit your Defender. The rendered images below shows the final design of each product. In 2-3 weeks when the "gold master" samples are finalized I will photograph them and post them up here.

Fitment.
The products are designed to fit into existing mounting points to the extent possible. The two front guards as well as the surround will fit in the existing headlight surround mounting holes. The rear NAS lamp guard will fit into the same holes as your existing NAS rear lamp guards. If you do not have rear lamp guards you will of course have to drill new holes. The OEM Grill will fit into the existing grill mounting holes as well. An important point about the Large Headlight guards (LG). The Large Headlight Guard (LG) does technically fit NAS and Military turn/marker bulb arrangements but I advise against this set up as there is too little clearance between the guard and the NAS /Military bulb housings. Too little clearance means no impact zone. If the guards are deformed from impact (as they should) they will be too close to the bulbs and likely will break them which defeats the purpose of a guard in the first place. There needs to be a an impact zone allowance between the guard and the bulb. Because the design would be to compromised if I made them work with every possible lamp option scenario I have the following recommendations:

For a NAS Defender: Small Headlight Guard (SG).
For a ROW Defender: Small Headlight Guard (SG) and Large Headlight Guard (LG).
For a Military Defender: Small Headlight Guard (SG) will fit but keep in mind that having no surround means a much larger gap between headlight and guard, particularly on the top and bottom. If this is a concern I recommend installing the Headlight Surround (HS) and painting it body color before installing the Small Headlight Guard (SG).

The Headlight Surround (HS) is designed to replace the ROW Defender Headlight Surround and it has the TD5 style horn/signal louvers detail. I chose the ROW version because this is my personal preference. I never liked the comically large NAS turn signal. This was the by-product of a forced importation requirement, not by original design or intention which is why my personal preference falls on the ROW version of the Headlight Surround design.

Minimum Order Quantity & Defender Source Discount.
Each product has a pre-order quantity threshold of a minimum of 40 sets/product which means that a minimum of 40 sets need to be pre-ordered for that product to go into production. If a product does not go into production you will receive a full refund but I will make every effort to avoid this situation by extending the group offer to other forums, world-wide. Please note that the D-Source discount only applies to the 40 first sets ordered. Once the order amount has reached 40 sets for a particular product the pricing will convert to standard pricing and the discount will no longer be valid. If you want to be sure to receive the discount make sure to order as soon as pre-orders become available on November 1st.

Defender Source Discount Pricing Offer.
All pricing is preliminary until product is finalized and may be subject to change. Here's what the current pricing estimates look like after the D-Source discount is applied:

Small Headlight Guard set (SG) - $240/set
Large Headlight Guard set (LG) - $450/set
Rear Lamp Guard set (RG) - $350/set
Headlamp Surround (HS) - $420/set
OEM Grill (OG) - $440/each

Order Process.
Pre-orders will be accepted via the Tiktaalik website starting November 1st, 2014. You'll be able to use a D-Source Discount code if you're a Defender Source Member. Please be aware that these products will not ship immediately upon placing your order. You are pre-ordering them in order to enable a crowd-sourced production. Once each product has reached its MOQ the order will be placed with the manufacturing facility and the production process at that point begin.

Shipping.
Shipping cost will be calculated per individual order once the product has arrived at the Tiktaalik HQ.

Timeline.
You patience and understanding for the development process is greatly appreciated. I am taking great care and attention to detail to make sure that each of these product come out just right which is why I have already spent a lot of time and resources on a number of iterations of prototypes for each of these products. Once the products have reached their MOQ please allow a minimum of 8 weeks for delivery. I will ensure that you are kept up-to-date with the progress of production along the way. Please note that the Headlight Surround, unlike the others, will be using a stamping process for production which requires tooling. This may result in this product taking a little longer to produce than the other products because the tooling first has to be built and tested before production can proceed.

Notification List.
If you would like to be put on a pre-order notification list please PM me with a list of the products that you are interested in as well as your name and email address. The Notification list is also a very helpful way for me to gauge interest in each product. I have a couple of names on this list already so it would be helpful for those of you who have already signed up to let me know that you are still interested.

I hope you are as excited about these products as I am. Don't hesitate to ask questions regarding product or fitment. Thank you.
That grill is incredible.
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Well I have some less than desirable news to share. Pre-orders are going to be pushed out to a date yet to be determined. The fabrication company I am using to make my samples keep delaying the delivery date of the next round. I am very frustrated about this but I am also partly at fault as I keep bringing them large non-defender related projects. I have an Asian vendor lined up and waiting but I really want to have these made here in Portland where I can personally oversee everything. Sorry for the wait guys. I'm not happy about this. I will hold from making any further promises and you'll hear from me as soon as I have some good news.
-
-
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:24 PM
rtgoldenb
Tyler
1997 D90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Well I have some less than desirable news to share. Pre-orders are going to be pushed out to a date yet to be determined. The fabrication company I am using to make my samples keep delaying the delivery date of the next round. I am very frustrated about this but I am also partly at fault as I keep bringing them large non-defender related projects. I have an Asian vendor lined up and waiting but I really want to have these made here in Portland where I can personally oversee everything. Sorry for the wait guys. I'm not happy about this. I will hold from making any further promises and you'll hear from me as soon as I have some good news.
More than worth the wait to keep it all American made.
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks. I appreciate hearing that on many levels. That's my intent.

On another note I have come up with design that can nest in the waste areas of the water jet cut grills. The Tiktaalik Bottle Opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgoldenb View Post
More than worth the wait to keep it all American made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bottle Openers 110614.30.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	106936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottle Openers 110614.29.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	106937  

-
-
Old November 13th, 2014, 10:47 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
X2 for USA made! Good on 'ya! Oh, do I need to pre-order the openers? ;-) Will they open my favorite beer, one of your Oregon brews; Deschutes Brewery's Inversion IPA, any more efficiently? Just kidding, but only about the efficiency. They're twist tops!

Not stressing about the delay. Make them here and as well as possible! That's why we're buying them. Quality ain't cheap or fast. Ever! And it'll give me more time to save up for the rear lamp guards as well as the row bezels and grill. Oh, crap! I forgot about the headlight guards. S#!t! I'm gonna need to sell a kidney!
Old November 14th, 2014, 06:28 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Echoing others' sentiments, take the time to make sure it's done right and here in the USA
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

You guys are awesome.
-
-
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

That's all good and everything, but you guys realize your or at least one of your favorite vehicles is NOT made in the USA...just throwing it out there...

Oh and Carl isn't know in certain dark circles as the Swed for nothing...You work is great Carl...just because you're Carl!
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:33 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Oh and Carl isn't know in certain dark circles as the Swed for nothing...You work is great Carl...just because you're Carl!
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
LOL! The real Carl kinda scares me...in his RTT on his 90 he reminds me of a sniper all nested up! Just remember he doesn't do product returns...
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:01 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
That's all good and everything, but you guys realize your or at least one of your favorite vehicles is NOT made in the USA...just throwing it out there... Oh and Carl isn't know in certain dark circles as the Swed for nothing...You work is great Carl...just because you're Carl!
Yup! Realized. That's why these are "replacement" parts ;-)
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

I will. Same return policy as this guy. "You're pushing your luck, little man"

Quote:
Just remember he doesn't do product returns...
-
-
Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:38 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Prototypes

I should be able to make some decent progress on the prototypes this week. A quick note on the headlight surround design. The Headlight Surround is the only product that will not be made in Portland and it is the only product so far that needs to be tooled. Therefore I won't really have a very good representative prototype until it has been tooled other than the renderings. I'm hoping that people are still willing to place pre-orders for it without having seen the final result because I am dependent on pre-orders in order to finance the tooling cost.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	107389  
-
-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
defender