Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old January 13th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Large Guard Prototype

I had to show these even though I've decided not to produce them. Very happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-LG-1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	110886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-LG-2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	110887  

Name:	Tiktaalik-LG-3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	110888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-LG-4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	110889  

Name:	Tiktaalik-LG-5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	110890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-LG-8.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	110891  

Name:	Tiktaalik-LG-6.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	110892  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Tiktaalik Bottle Opener

Then there's this little guy. These will be ordered today as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik-TBO.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	110893  
-
-
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Update and Order Information

The headlight surrounds are now 23% funded for tooling and I have decided to CNC a prototype locally so that we can see exactly what we're looking at before tooling is cut.

Design and Development.
All these products are currently in development. I have spent a considerable amount of time and resources getting them to where they are today. We are currently dialing in production and refining details and they should be ready to go into production shortly. Once they have been anodized I will post up photos showing them mounted to a stock Defender. All products will be hard anodized black Type III with the exception of the Headlight Surround which will ship unfinished. This allows you to apply your own finish of choice as well as paint match your vehicle if you so prefer. Also due to its size the surround will be sandblasted but not tumbled. These products aren’t for everyone but if you appreciate well made things that are built to last, then these might just be for you.

Fit and Finish.
All products are 5051 Aluminum that is laser cut, bent and tumbled for 3 hours before sand blasted and hard anodized. All products are designed to mount in existing holes where applicable. The small front guards, the rear guards and the OEM grill will all come with matching fasteners.

Pre-order Pricing.
Small Guard set: $240/set* - 17 sets available at this price.
Rear Guard set: $280/set* - 18 sets available at this price.
Headlight Surround set: $340/set* - 21 sets available at this price.
OEM Grill: $440/each* - 15 units available at this price.
Tiktaalik Bottle Opener $16/each* - 15 units available at this price.
*after the 20% D-Source Discount has been applied.

How to order.
Go to tiktaalik.com/store to place your order. Add the items to your cart and make sure you apply the discount code. The Discount Code is: LMTKLO. The discount code will expire once the minimum order quantity of each product has been met but the products can still be ordered at full price going forward. Please make sure to include all necessary contact information when ordering and make sure to choose the Tiktaalik pre-order shipping option when checking out.

Shipping.
Shipping will be calculated and charged separately once the products have been packed up and are ready to go out. You will be notified regarding shipping at that time.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

OEM Grill Size and Fit

Paul asked about size a while back. The OEM Grill is almost exactly the same size as the stock grill. The width and depth are identical. The height of the mounting brackets are the same but the last louver sticks down a few MM lower than the stock grill on the bottom (see last picture).

One other thing I also want to mention. Because this grill is significantly stiffer than the plastic grill it doesn't conform to the slight curvature of the surround as easily as the plastic one. There is slightly more of a gap at the top compared to the plastic grill (see first photo).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-10.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	110949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-11.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	110950  

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-12.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	110951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-13.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	110952  

-
-
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:51 PM
rtgoldenb
Tyler
1997 D90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Paul asked about size a while back. The OEM Grill is almost exactly the same size as the stock grill. The width and depth are identical. The height of the mounting brackets are the same but the last louver sticks down a few MM lower than the stock grill on the bottom (see last picture).

One other thing I also want to mention. Because this grill is significantly stiffer than the plastic grill it doesn't conform to the slight curvature of the surround as easily as the plastic one. There is slightly more of a gap at the top compared to the plastic grill (see first photo).
F me, I can feel my wallet getting so lite I'm worried it's gonna fly away.

Beautiful work as expected!
Old January 14th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Update.

I just placed the order for the Small Guards and OEM grills. Should take about a week to get them cut then assembly begins. Today I also revised the Rear Guard mounts and submitted the those for cutting as well.
-
-
Old January 14th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Wowwww that front grille is unbelievable!
Old January 14th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Wowwww that front grille is unbelievable!
It's pure gorgeousness. If I wasn't getting the wheel carrier from Clay.....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:54 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
It's pure gorgeousness. If I wasn't getting the wheel carrier from Clay.....
Awwww, come on! Just sell a kidney with me! ;-)
Old January 15th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Carl:

Any word on using PayPal?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:49 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
I just placed the order for the Small Guards and OEM grills. Should take about a week to get them cut then assembly begins. Today I also revised the Rear Guard mounts and submitted the those for cutting as well.
Sweet!
Old January 15th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Hi Paul.

Squarespace does not support Paypal very well yet. A Paypal order would add a bit more work on my end (in terms of having to manually enter inventory, order tracking, shipping etc) but I can make an exception until Squarespace provides a better solution. I'm going to add a Paypal button to my website soon. If you want to place the order sooner just contact me. If you want to use Paypal it is important that I send you an invoice and that you use that invoice to pay for your order. I wish there was a simpler solution but that's whats available for now. I'm happy to work around it though, just make sure you contact me prior to placing an order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Carl:

Any word on using PayPal?

Thanks,

Paul.
-
-
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Hardware Feedback

I'd like to get some feedback on mounting hardware, particularly from those of you who have already placed an order. Perhaps a bit overly ambitious but I had originally planned to include mounting hardware with all the designs. I would like the hardware to be: 1. Rust resistant 2. Matte Black finish (to match the products) 3. somewhat theft deterrent 4. Metric (if possible). Apparently I am unable to find something that matches all those criteria unless I have something manufactured.

I have a couple of questions to those more knowledgable on this topic. Will a black oxide steel finish suffice for this type of use in terms or rust resistance? I have heard that Stainless can receive a black oxide finish as well but is a DYI thing. I'm thinking Torx for most of the parts. My original plan was to ship pin-in-torx hardware with bit included with the small headlight guard but I'm now leaning towards regular torx. Do you even care if hardware is included or if has a matching black finish? Comments welcome.
-
-
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:43 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Carl,

I'd like to have mounting hardware included and that it have a matching black finish and I agree that the hardware would hopefully satisfy the characteristics you noted above but unfortunately I am no help in terms of your questions re: black oxide, etc.

Kevin
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I agree with you Kevin. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping it consistent between all and using Black Oxide Stainless Steel Torx Pan head Screws for all. The front ones would be thread forming and the rear would be machine with nylon insert nut. So no flat head Pin-in-Torx screws like my first samples have had. I'm looking for a source now.
Old January 19th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Headlight Surround Update

I have placed an order for a prototype of the Headlight Surrounds so we can get a closer look at the design details and fitment. The Headlight Surrounds are now 28% funded for tooling. This design will be the very first true, all aluminum replacement of the plastic surrounds. There are one or two metal options out there but like my existing prototype, none have the integrated trim around the headlight so they require to be used in conjunction with the Series style headlight trim. This new aluminum one piece design can be painted, powder coated, anodized or left raw.

Pre-order Pricing.
Small Guard set: $240/set* - 17 sets available at this price.
Rear Guard set: $280/set* - 18 sets available at this price.
Headlight Surround set: $340/set* - 20 sets available at this price.
OEM Grill: $440/each* - 15 units available at this price.
Tiktaalik Bottle Opener $16/each* - 15 units available at this price.
*after the 20% D-Source Discount has been applied.
-
-
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Carl:

Any update on availability of the final product? No hurry- just wondering.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old January 26th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Hi Paul.

I'm supposed to pick up parts from the laser cutter tomorrow or Wednesday. Fabrication should begin right away but its a longer process including tumbling so don't expect to see anything until next week at the earliest. I'll confirm on timeline once I hand of the cut components. Once the parts are finished anodizing takes about 4-5 business days. As soon as I get them back from the anodizer I will get everyones orders packed up and ready to ship.
-
-
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Off like a Prom dress...

I just got the word that the cut parts are ready for pick up so I'm off to get them now.
-
-
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:10 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Carl:

Any update on availability of the final product? No hurry- just wondering.

Thanks,

Paul.
What'd you order?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
defender