Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

A small change of plans.

I did a brief cost analysis this afternoon and I have decided to postpone the production of the Large Headlight Guard set. Hitting the pause button on this product allows me to do two things: 1. I'll be able to fulfill your current orders sooner and, 2. I will be able to start the development of the Heritage Grill design. The large headlight guards are very expensive to make because the grills are cut out of a very large solid piece of 3/4" aluminum. Since no one has pre-ordered any at this time I would prefer to focus on prototyping the Heritage Grill instead. I will still proceed to finalize the prototypes for photography so we can see the final result and the design is finalized so it is possible that it can be made available as a built to order item.

So in the light of the above decision heres the new rough schedule. Final prototype parts (Golden Samples) will have finished the tumbling process this weekend. Beginning of next week we will assemble them and if the assembly goes smoothly I will place another order at the Laser cutting vendor to cover all the products that have been ordered so far. So the schedule should be expedited a bit by running things in parallel. By the time the prototypes comes back from the anodizer and are photographed your orders should already be in production. I feel pretty good about this. Feedback welcome.

Last item. I have received a couple orders of the aluminum headlight surrounds. This designs is 17% funded at this time, in order to pay for tooling. I'm really looking forward to these so I'm hoping to drum up some more pre-orders by providing you with some better photography of the current prototypes. Stay tuned.

Discount Quantity Status:
Small Guard set: 17 sets left at discount price.
Rear Guard set: 18 sets left at discount price.
OEM Grill: 15 sets left at discount price.
Headlight Surround set: 22 sets left at discount price.
Tiktaalik Bottle Opener: 17 sets left at discount price.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2014, 12:12 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

If I could suggest. Guys if your girl has no idea what to get you for a present...ask for these! And girls vice versa. They are so well made and are going to look great on the truck. Would make an awweesome preeseent!!

"happy happy,,,"
Old December 21st, 2014, 11:26 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks for the plug, Carmen.

Everyone's support is appreciated.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Final Round

Here are some photos of the final round samples. The fit is now dialed in so that all parts tap snugly together. Because the different components now mechanically intersect they will be a lot more rigid and strong because it is not only the weld holding them together. The little squares on the front will be plug welded and sanded down then off to the anodizer where they will be blasted and hard anodized. Note that the mounts on the large guard should be installed in the opposite direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_SG_1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	109828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_SG_2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	109829  

Name:	Tiktaalik_LG_1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	109830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_LG_2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	109831  

Name:	Tiktaalik_RG_1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	109832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_RG_2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	109833  

Old December 31st, 2014, 10:55 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Prototype Updates - OEM Grill

Not a lot happening over Christmas and New Year and my fabricator is moving this week so the samples won't be welded up until next week unfortunately. The delays are killing me. During the test fit session I also noticed a required adjustment for one of the Rear Guard mounting brackets which will unfortunately delay this design slightly. In the light of this it is looking like the Small Guards and OEM Grill will be ready to ship first. I'm hoping that once my fabber is done welding them together next week that I can pull the trigger on your orders, get materials ordered and cut and get things moving.

Here's a closer look at each of the products starting with the OEM Grill prototype. They neglected to bend the mounting bracket which is why it is just laying on the floor. The slots in the vertical cross bars is to accommodate an accessory mounting bracket that I have designed so that you can mount lights etc directly to the grill itself. Shown is also a close up of the jig-saw puzzle interlock construction. I'm super-stoked about this design.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik_OG_1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	109834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_OG_2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	109835  

Name:	Tiktaalik_OG_3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	109836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_OG_4.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	109837  

Name:	Tiktaalik_OG_5.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	109838  
-
-
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:39 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Carl:

How close to stock is the 'thickness' or 'depth' of the grille? I/e/ if measured from front to back as mounted on the vehicle? The light tabs on my A-bar touch the stock grille, so I doubt it'll fit if it's stock or deeper.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:49 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Update - Headlight Surround

Here are some photos of the very first prototype I did for the Headlight Surround. A couple of important things to note.

1. The marker/turn lamp holes are skewed to the right. This has been fixed.
2. This surrounds sits inside the lip of the recess on the front wing. It does not have a lip that overhangs the lip like the plastic version.
3. The final design will have the same reveal feature around the headlight. The hole on the prototype is larger because this feature is missing but on the final design (as CAD shows) this feature will be incorporated.

Unlike the other designs this one required (expensive) tooling before we can even see the first prototype from the factory. The fabrication process will be a combination of stamping and machining. It is critical to receive enough pre-orders for this one so we can get the tooling started (and start seeing samples). If you're thinking about it, I highly encourage you to pre-order so we can see this product come to life. These surrounds will ship bare, sandblasted aluminum, ready to be painted, powder coated or anodized. I have yet to test it on a Series but it should fit them as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik_HS_1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	109840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_HS_2.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	109841  

Name:	Tiktaalik_HS_3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	109842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_HS_4.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	109843  

-
-
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:51 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

This is a great question, Paul. I know some of us have a very tight fit between grill/bumper/winch. The intent was that it would be the exact dimensions of the stock grill. To be sure though I will measure post up dims today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Carl:

How close to stock is the 'thickness' or 'depth' of the grille? I/e/ if measured from front to back as mounted on the vehicle? The light tabs on my A-bar touch the stock grille, so I doubt it'll fit if it's stock or deeper.

Thanks,

Paul.
-
-
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:58 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
That grill is beautiful.

Carl, what color will the final product be? Black? Silver?
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Update - Large Headlight Guard

Here are some photos of the Large Headlight Guard design that I decided to shelf for now. It's a pretty bad ass design though so I may resurrect it one day. The Horizontal bars look great with the horizontal bars of the grill. The with of the grill is the same as the Headlight Surround design and the top and sides line up with the surround when mounted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik_LG_3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	109849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_LG_5.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	109850  

Name:	Tiktaalik_LG_4.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	109851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_HS_5.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	109852  

-
-
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:01 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Hard Anodized Black. It should look very similar to the stock grill when done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose609 View Post
That grill is beautiful.

Carl, what color will the final product be? Black? Silver?
-
-
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:05 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Hard Anodized Black. It should look very similar to the stock grill when done.
Perfect thanks!
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:05 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Update - Rear Lamp Guards

Here are some photos of the rear lamp guard fitted. I ran into a minor issue that needs adjustment when test fitting it yesterday. The bottom portion of the brackets that are bent need a re-alignment of the mounting holes. No big deal just an unforseen time delay. When bending parts it can sometimes be a trial and error process, especially if there are critical hole locations that needs to line up. Last photo shows the first prototype (bottom) and the latest (top). I beefed it up a bit and added the interlock construction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik_RG_4.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	109853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik_RG_5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	109854  

Name:	Tiktaalik_RG_3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	109855  
-
-
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:22 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Finally.

The bottle opener definitely needs more user testing Below is the status of what is left at discount pricing. As mentioned I hope that the Small Guards and OEM Grill will begin production next week. The Headlight Surrounds are 17% funded for tooling so spread the word so we can make it a reality!

A big thank you to everyone so far who have pre-ordered products, sight unseen for the most part. Your patience and support are appreciated. You are the reason these concepts and prototypes are allowed to become reality. I will do my very best not to disappoint. I have even received custom double wall boxes for shipping the OEM Grill in as there weren't anything available that fit well. Lastly, even if you're not ordering, spreading the word throughout the community or on other forums would be very helpful. I got banned on LR4X4 just for posting a mention!

Discount Quantity Status:
Small Guard set: 17 sets left at discount price.
Rear Guard set: 18 sets left at discount price.
OEM Grill: 15 sets left at discount price.
Headlight Surround set: 22 sets left at discount price.
Tiktaalik Bottle Opener: 17 sets left at discount price.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik_BO_1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	109856  
-
-
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:35 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Stuff looks fantastic!!! Can't wait to get the Real Lamp Guards and Grille on my rig!!!
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:59 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Kevin! Me too!
-
-
Old January 12th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

The final samples of the Small Light Guards and OEM Grill have been delivered to me and approved. Tomorrow I will be placing an order with the laser cutter to cover all your orders of Small Guards and OEM Grills. I will post some additional photos tomorrow as well. Unfortunately the Rear Lamp Guards are delayed as I am redesigning the mounts for improved fitment. I will update shortly on the new design changes.
-
-
Old January 13th, 2015, 04:24 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Lookin' good! Pm'd.
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

OEM Grill - Prototype Approved.

Here is the final OEM Grill Prototype. I will be placing an order with the laser cutter today to cover all current orders. I'm thrilled about this design. Its lightweight but very stout. The production units will be hard anodized black.I'm curious how many of you would be interested in the accessory mounting bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	110869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-2.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	110870  

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-3.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	110871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-4.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	110872  

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	110873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-6.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	110874  

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-7.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	110875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-8.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	110876  

Name:	Tiktaalik-OG-9.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	110877  
-
-
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Small Guard - Prototype Approved.

Small Guards have been plug welded from the back and sanded. I will be placing an order with the laser cutter today to cover all current orders. The production units will be hard anodized black.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiktaalik-SG-1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	110882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-SG-2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	110883  

Name:	Tiktaalik-SG-4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	110884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiktaalik-SG-5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	110885  

-
-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
defender