Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Carl,

I'd like to pre-order the small head lite guards for my NAS D90 to help protect those JW speakers. What do I need to do?
Old November 25th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Mark.

The product is still in development but I will set up pre-orders later today.

Hang tight.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Pre-order Launch!

I have made all the products ready for pre-orders on the Tiktaalik website. Please make sure you read the following information carefully. By placing a pre-order you are making magic happen. Feel free to email or PM me with questions. Thank everyone. - Carl

Design and Development.
All these products are currently in development. I have spent a considerable amount of time and resources getting them to where they are today. We are currently dialing in production and refining details and they should be ready to go into production shortly. I should also have the final round of samples in the next couple of weeks. Once they have been anodized I will post up photos showing them mounted to a stock Defender. All products will be hard anodized black Type III with the exception of the Headlight Surround which will ship unfinished. This allows you to apply your own finish of choice as well as paint match your vehicle if you so prefer. Also due to its size the surround will be sandblasted but not tumbled. These products aren’t for everyone but if you appreciate well made things that are built to last, then these might just be for you.

Fit and Finish.
All products are 5051 Aluminum that is laser cut, bent and tumbled for 3 hours before sand blasted and hard anodized. All products are designed to mount in existing holes where applicable. The small and large front guards, the rear guards and the OEM grill will all come with matching fasteners.

Compatibility.
Due to the fact that the NAS lamps and Military lamps are larger there will likely not be adequate clearance between guard and lamp on a NAS or MIL Defender. Therefore I have decided to make the following compatibility recommendations:

NAS: small headlight guard.
ROW: small and large headlight guard.
MIL: small headlight guard* (no surround means larger gap around headlight unless you also purchase the headlamp surround or use the plastic surround).

Pre-order Pricing.
Small Guard set: $240/set* - 20 sets available at this price.
Large Guard set: $360/set* - 20 sets available at this price.
Rear Guard set: $280/set* - 20 sets available at this price.
Headlight Surround set: $340/set* - 25 sets available at this price.
OEM Grill: $440/each* - 20 units available at this price.
Tiktaalik Bottle Opener $16/each* - 20 units available at this price.
*after the 20% D-Source Discount has been applied.

How to order.
Go to tiktaalik.com/store to place your order. Add the items to your cart and make sure you apply the discount code. The Discount Code is: LMTKLO. The discount code will expire once the minimum order quantity of each product has been met but the products can still be ordered at full price going forward. Please make sure to include all necessary contact information when ordering and make sure to choose the Tiktaalik pre-order shipping option when checking out.

Shipping.
Shipping will be calculated and charged separately once the products have been packed up and are ready to go out. You will be notified regarding shipping at that time.

Timeline.
Once the minimum order quantity for each product has been met it will be about 6-8 weeks until delivery. The surrounds will be tooled as soon as the MOQ has been reached and will be delivered in 10-12 from that the order has been placed. With the exception of the surround, all these products will be handmade in Portland, Oregon. Your patience and understanding of this process is appreciated.

Delays are possible but I will do my best to keep them to a minimum and to have the products to you as soon as possible. Please note that the timeline for the headlight surround is somewhat different as it is being produced overseas. Please make sure you include a valid email address so that you can receive updates about the production progress and updated timeline for the products that you have ordered. Your email address will only be used for this purpose so if you want to sign up for the Tiktaalik mailing list (future products etc) make sure you do so separately.

Thank you.
By pre-ordering these products you are actively contributing to realizing these designs and enabling them to be manufactured. You are also supporting an endeavor to make high quality products with a passionate attention to detail, right here in Portland, Oregon, USA. Stay tuned for more products. A selection of camping tools are also currently in development. Thank you everyone for your support.
-
-
Old November 25th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Carl:

Small guards ordered. Going to hold off on the grille until I get my 90 back.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old November 26th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Paul!
-
-
Old November 27th, 2014, 07:04 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Carl,

Just ordered Grill, Rear Guard Set and a couple bottle openers. Products look fantastic! Can't wait!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kevin
Old November 27th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Kevin!

A couple of orders are in. Here is the status of what is left of the discounted sets:

Small Guard set: 19 sets left at discount price.
Large Guard set: 20 sets left at discount price.
Rear Guard set: 19 sets left at discount price.
Headlight Surround set: 23 sets left at discount price.
OEM Grill: 17 sets left at discount price.
Tiktaalik Bottle Opener: 18 sets left at discount price.
-
-
Old November 27th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

I will be posting updates and new photos as soon as they become available. Here's a photo of the large guard prototypes grills after tumbling. I'm sure many of you are interested in seeing these mounted to a Defender as well so that is coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	www.tiktaalik.com 1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	107673  
-
-
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

A note about shipping

Unfortunately my website will not (yet) allow me to assign a particular shipping option to a particular product. When checking out please make sure you select the shipping option called: "Tiktaalik Pre-order Shipping option - TBD". Actual shipping cost will be calculated when products have been packed up and are ready to be sent out. You will receive a separate invoice for the shipping at that time. The products will be well packaged and secured. The grill will ship in a custom sized double wall corrugated box.
-
-
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

How it all began.

For those of you who have haven't been following this from the beginning I thought I'd do a quick recap of how this project all began. I started making the aluminum light guards as a longer lasting alternative to powder coated steel guards I used to have. Particularly on the front of the vehicle there is a lot of exposure to the elements which takes a toll on the guards. Inevitably the paint flakes off and once that happens they start rusting. So I chose to go with aluminum which is much more lightweight and doesn't rust. The anodization process hardens and changes the color of the surface of the aluminum itself instead of adding a layer of paint on top.

In order to increase rigidity an durability I came up with this unique male-female plug assembly. All the products thus far with the exception of the surround (which will be stamped in once piece) utilize this construction. The mounts have pins that are inserted into the grills themselves then plug welded from the front and ground flush. This construction is more time consuming but in the end creates a much more structurally rigid part than if the two parts are held together with a weld bead. The large and the rear guard grills are cut from a single piece of 3/8" thick aluminum. Not the cheapest way to go necessarily but it creates a much more structurally rigid part.

Another important aspect for me is also to reduce and replace the number of plastic parts on my Defender. This is more of a personal preference. I just prefer aluminum and metal in general over plastic. Longer lasting versus disposable. I consider these products to be "micro-armor". Instead of having a heavy and overbuilt front bumper that causes a lot of strain on the steering you can use my OEM version of the aluminum grill and the guards as complementary protection in stead of an overbuilt brush guard bumper. The aluminum grill increases protection of the radiator and because it is much more structurally sound you can now mount accessories directly to it. Eventually I will also have accessory mounting brackets available that are made specifically for this grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	www.tiktaalik.com 2 (1).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	107726   Click image for larger version

Name:	www.tiktaalik.com 1 (1).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	107727  

-
-
Old November 29th, 2014, 02:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I just want some of those sweet battery disconnects....

Old November 30th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

No problem Neill.

The battery connectors will ship out tomorrow.
-
-
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Carl,

Ordered the small guards!
Old December 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your business.

Discount Quantity Status:
Small Guard set: 18 sets left at discount price.
Headlight Surround set: 23 sets left at discount price.
OEM Grill: 17 sets left at discount price.
Tiktaalik Bottle Opener: 17 sets left at discount price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
Carl,

Ordered the small guards!
-
-
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Small Guard set: 17 sets left at discount price.
Headlight Surround set: 22 sets left at discount price.
OEM Grill: 15 sets left at discount price.
-
-
Old December 5th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Update.

The third and final round of prototypes were submitted to laser cutting yesterday. The parts should return in about a week and will then be assembled and finished. Its the male-female interlock construction that is taking a little longer to dial in tolerances on but it is worth the wait because it will be much more of a rigid construction.

The good news is that I just need a few more orders in before I am able to submit the first order of 20 sets for each product for laser cutting. The exception to that is the headlight surround. I need to sell all 25 pre-ordered units of the surround in order to pay for the tooling cost. The surround will be using a stamped and CNC'd construction. It will be a thick durable single piece part with all the surround details around the headlight included. I know you are all eagerly awaiting photos of the final design, just like I am. I will post those up as soon as the final round have been finished up. Thanks for your patience.
-
-
Old December 12th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Update.

I'm picking up what will hopefully be the third and final round of parts from the laser cutter today. After having been bent, tumbled and welded they will be going to the Anodizer. Once back from Anodizer they will be going on a ROW and NAS truck for photography so that you all finally get to see what the end result will look like it in all its glory.
-
-
Old December 12th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

The 3rd round parts fit together really well and they will be going through the 3 hour tumbling process over the weekend.

Small Guard set: 17 sets left at discount price.
Rear Guard set: 18 sets left at discount price.
Headlight Surround set: 22 sets left at discount price.
OEM Grill: 15 sets left at discount price.
-
-
-
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Update.

I just wanted to give everyone a brief update. It's driving me crazy how long this is taking but we're getting close. The final round will be formed and finished up next week. A slight cause for delay was due to a vendor change. My contact at my fabrication vendor left the company to start his own business. Although this is causing a delay for all my projects, in the end it is good for me and the products that I am making because more care and attention will be paid to this project. I just wanted to assure you that I'm not in Vegas spending your pre-order cash or sipping Margaritas in Mexico. I will post up photos as soon as I can.
-
-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Tags
defender