Alternative Powerplants- Chevy V-8 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft

Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:48 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Once you have the $$ you want to spend, contact a place like Schramm and tell them what you are looking for. Maybe once they get it they can call you first, or call them weekly, daily whatever to let them know youre looking.

Also, 5 wire does NOT mean that will hook right into your facotry LR wiring harness and power all your gagues, etc.

You will still need new MM adapters, radiator, and those brackets for the alt and PS wont work as the alt sits right where the steering box is. May also have to use the LS3 oil pan.

Its alot more than just getting the engine. Why spend the $$ then have to replace some of it anyway?

Follow-up Post:

and the guy in Aus wrote back and said he will follow up after Jan 6th when he returns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Escalades at 6500 lbs get a tad over 20 mpg highway with this engine at 70mph
Not quite, ours certianly dosent.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Is yours a 2007 ESV w/ the 6.2 & VVT?
I had asked on the Cadillac boards and that was what I was told by a few different people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Webbsite
Roger Webb
1988 Range Rover Buggy

Well, its been almost a year since this was updated.

How well did it work? Or did all that extra power cause problems with the diffs/shafts etc.

Who made the extra adaptor to mate the Marks adaptor to the 6L80E? Is it available to purchase or is there a published design?

I would really like to put this setup into a Rover based buggy and don't want to re-invent the adaptors etc if they are available.

Regards,

Roger
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Show me

I know this is an old thread. I keep hearing about these huge engines going into Land Rovers over here in the USA. Talk is cheap. I want to know what vehicles are getting the transplants AND I want to see the pictures. Certainly, anyone that has actually pulled this off has taken photos along the way. One big problem here in the states is the steering box on the leftside of the vehicle since the engine is offset to that side. Second is the narrow frame rails leaving little room for exhaust on the left side. Even if you've managed to work around these problems there is the exhorbant costs involved of mass producing parts. Most conversions I've seen (and done) involved a lot more metal work than the average Rover owner is going to be inclined to pursue. I've fitted a LS1/4L60E/flipped Dana300 and Ford hi-pinion 9" axles into my 71 88" on a shortened 90" coiler chassis. It was no easy task and much fab work was required. It is a one-off project. I can provide photos to any interested party. This same engine will NOT fit into a north american Disco or Rangie without work that could never be sold in a box as a conversion kit. Also, it's easier to pull teeth from a hen than get parts from Mark's in Australia. They, and most of their 'dealers', the most non-responsive people I've ever dealt with. Advance Adapters here in the states is absolutely clueless about the products from Mark's. They only list three kits for Toyota conversions.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
I keep hearing about these huge engines going into Land Rovers over here in the USA. Talk is cheap. I want to know what vehicles are getting the transplants AND I want to see the pictures.

Take a look in the Misc Pictures section on this site. Old pics of a Defender with an SBC.
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:26 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

I actually have the Marks kit, and a modified version to fit the 6L80/90e. Soon to be modded a bit more to fit the 6L90e (different adapter shaft needed is all)

Thorley headers will fit, the 326's

What you need is a motor mount that fits the engine in the right location. You are right the steering box is in the way, so you have to run a different set of pulleys. A few in the UK have put LS engines into their defenders, but they are all fabricators and just say "set the engine in and fab a set". Yeah

I have a set of the Marks chevy V8 adapters, but they fit pre LS engines. I may be persuaded to part with them if someone wanted to duplicate them.

As to the Marks parts, there is a place in S Africa (starts with a P) that also makes the same, and might be even better material. Marks doesnt stock any of the parts, they makes them when you order, so plan on 6+ mos to get them. I knew someone local and they went by and got them for me. Even the Africa co that makes (or made them 3 years ago) was pretty slow to respond. AA is not only useless, but they mark up the costs 100% from what I paid.

My project was derailed due to personal/family/financial problems but will be back on track soon I hope.

Current setup is:

L92 Chevy V8 6.2L with VVT (variable valve timing) no displacement on demand
Stock was 403hp/417tq (at 2500rpm) w/ the stock truck intake
Thorley headers (claim to add 28hp and 44tq) seeing if the 336 will fit to as they are tri-y design
CTS-v supercharger w/ upgraded intercooler (est 630hp) This is what a stock CTS-v puts out with the pulley upgrade and no intercooler upgrade nor headers etc., just the ECU flash

6L80e 6 speed auto (has the exact same gears as our ZFhp22 but add a 4.08 low and a .67 6th) to be replaced with a built 6L90e (they are 3/4" longer)

Mated to the t/c with a Marks 4x4 kit, and totally new spacer as the 6l is much larger in the bolt pattern compared to the other GM trannys. Its actually a bit lighter and is smaller than say a 4l80e. The adapter shaft fit perfectly, but using a 6l90 will require a larger output spline adapter.

Ashcroft built Lt230 w/ 1:1 high range, stock low

Ashcoft underdrive

Just need to have mounts made.

The t/c sits back some so you have to use a DII t/c shifter and I am planning to use a powerglide manual shifter in the factory 5 speed shifter location. These trans have PRNDM. So when you go to M you either have paddle shifter or TU/TD like on a RR. I will have the latter on the steering wheel. There are detents on the trans but I cant get anyone to verify they will put it into a different gear if used. If you have a console or cubby you could use a G8 or similar shifter.

You have to use either the stock GM or a MAST ECU as the trans needs to talk to the computer to shift similar to our ZF autos do. Id like a MAST ecu, but they are pricey. What I like about them is that you can have varied fuel quality/octane settings and even lessen the pedal sensitivity (these use electric gas pedals like the Td5 on). So like some of the newer rovers you could greatly increase the amount of pedal needed to get going say when you went to low or if it were snowy out and you didnt need/want the power. Downside is they dont have cruise like the factory one, nor tow/haul mode which uses engine braking somehow. Both of those might come in handy, and I want the cruise. Maybe Mast will add it someday.

I have the truck oil pan, but will probably replace it with the shallower one. Clearance "might" be an issue, but mainly due to the drain plug sitting right on top of the diff/u joint. The other GM pans have the drain on the other side. I could move the engine back more and even higher, but I am trying to keep my stock hood and where I want the trans to sit.

And no I dont plan on running rover axles. Most all of this was done years ago, just got blindsided and now trying to get back on track.

Unfortunately I dont have any real pics, could take some of it sitting in the truck I suppose. Just not the type who documents and takes pics of this stuff.

If someone made the engine mounts and the trans adapter it wouldnt be all that hard to do an LS engine with a 4 speed trans. The 6 is a whole other beast. Pulleys can be swapped from other GM and some older like mid 90's cars even. Mine has VVT so that also was an issue as the pulleys stick out farther than most.
So with a set of headers, mounts, t/c adapter and the right t/c shifter many rover guys could swap it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Pix 3 025.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	26884   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3230001.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	26885  

Name:	P3230002.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	26886   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3230005.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	26887  

Name:	P3230007.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	26888   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3230011.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	26889  

Name:	P3230012.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	26890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tranny Case Adapter 002.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	26891  

Name:	Tranny Case Adapter 009.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	26892  
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

I also remember that someone was making a zf to chevy bellhousing replacement or adapter awhile back, which would eliminate the need for the Marks kit. Cant remember who was doing that. I would think a mild 350hp LS engine wouldnt kill a 22 but a 24 might be better.

I just go to extremes it seems and like to overbuild when possible.
With my setup and strong axles, the only possible weak point is the t/c which is pretty stout.
Im not drag racing the thing anyway and never broke even a stock axle after many years of offroading even with 35" SSR's.

Too bad no one local is a rover person/fabricator who can help out.
I will probably have to take it to a racecar place and see if they can make the engine mount adapters.
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:29 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Cliff this is looking very tasty. I like the idea of the aluminum GM engine. What's the issue with the mounts? Are you saying the ones that are on the engine need to be changed or the ones on the frame?
Whats the difference between the 6L80 and the 6L90?
Is the VVT an optional thing or is it required for the engine to operate? I mean could you run this all with a Megasquirt instead of the GM ECU?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:18 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

You just need mounts that bolt to the engine block and position the engine where it needs to be. The Marks ones are pretty close, but use the old 3 bolt pattern and newer engines are 4 bolt. They claimed they were what I needed, but they werent.

The VVT is only on certain engines like the L92 which I bought as I got a steal on it, the trans, t/c, wiring, ecu, etc with only 27 miles on it. VVT allows a broad tq curve and thus why they use it in the Escalade, some Hummers, the big Danali etc. Other engines like the LS1,2,3 dont have VVT. The VVT is actuated by a cam phaser and oil pressure I think, not by the ECU. Have no knowledge of a megasquirt, but there are plenty of normal aftermarket ECU's that will run an LS engine that doesnt use VVT, that maybe one of them?

Its only an issue if you run a 6l80/90 as only the GM and Mast ecu's that I know of will interface and allow it to shift correctly. In these trannys the ecu is inside the oil pan so you cant replace it. And you need the right way to shift it.

The 80 is pretty stout, can handle something like 490lbs of engine tq. It does fine in a 6000lb Escalade ESV and allows it to tow as well. The 90 is the same, but 3/4" longer, has heavier duty thicker gears and is used in applications like the CTS-v which puts out 538hp/tq stock and some other HD trucks. Supposed to have a beefier torque converter too. Since my 80 is new I am swapping it and a few dollars for a built 90. They make a heavier duty clutches for them. Of course this is for guys who drag race and allows it to live so I think mine will do just fine. Magnusen makes a SC kit that bumps the hp/tq in the ESV to the same as the CTS-v range of 550 and the trans seem to handle that. So a D90 weighing much less with a built 6L90 should have no issues.

If I were running a car intake, hood clearance wouldnt be an issue like the truck intake did. I could leave the SC off and change the hood to the new style, but I really like the old style better. Will all depend on once the mounts are made and everything is bolted up. The car intake is super low, the SC is mid and the truck intake sits the highest.

I still need to have a radiator with fans made before I do, and get an X brake installed then it can be all bolted up.

If you do a web search for a D90 with corvette engine it shows a guy in the UK who bought an LS1(?) from Turnkey and installed it into a D90 he then took to Australia and competed with. I emailed him some time back and he said he never had any problems. He was using the car intake and probably was putting out 400+ hp. He was the one who let me know what headers fit.
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:49 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

What about a Ford Cobra Motor?
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Well I dont know the tq of that motor, but most stick to Chevy as there are some adapters out there. I do know there was a lady who had a ford in her 109, but thats the only one Ive ever seen personally.

You really dont want/need high hp, just allot of tq, thus why many go diesel

I just find those engines run out of power for highway use.

And the ease and cheap cost of the newer chevy engines makes it a good choice too IMHO
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Some of the people over in the UK have been trying out LS engines with some success it seems.
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

with the plentiful supply, the better cooling over the old gen III designs, all aluminum and stock putting out 400+hp/417tq @ 2500 rpm, as well as designed to last 100k+ miles easily, its really the best choice.
I personally wouldnt go LS 1,2, or 3, rather L92 or similar as they are truck engines. Externally the same, but the L92 and the LS3 have the same heads and flow the best.

Hope to have some Gen IV motor mounts in the next month or so fabbed up. Odd no one makes them. I guess they just make them as they fit the engine. Even mine may not work for anyone else as mine will be spaced to fit a certain oil pan, Thorley headers, 6speed trans etc. Someone putting a Chevy in and using a 5 speed manual or the stock auto may not be spaced right.
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM
willismatt25
Matt S
1994 D90

Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
I know this is an old thread. I keep hearing about these huge engines going into Land Rovers over here in the USA. Talk is cheap. I want to know what vehicles are getting the transplants AND I want to see the pictures. Certainly, anyone that has actually pulled this off has taken photos along the way. One big problem here in the states is the steering box on the leftside of the vehicle since the engine is offset to that side. Second is the narrow frame rails leaving little room for exhaust on the left side. Even if you've managed to work around these problems there is the exhorbant costs involved of mass producing parts. Most conversions I've seen (and done) involved a lot more metal work than the average Rover owner is going to be inclined to pursue. I've fitted a LS1/4L60E/flipped Dana300 and Ford hi-pinion 9" axles into my 71 88" on a shortened 90" coiler chassis. It was no easy task and much fab work was required. It is a one-off project. I can provide photos to any interested party. This same engine will NOT fit into a north american Disco or Rangie without work that could never be sold in a box as a conversion kit. Also, it's easier to pull teeth from a hen than get parts from Mark's in Australia. They, and most of their 'dealers', the most non-responsive people I've ever dealt with. Advance Adapters here in the states is absolutely clueless about the products from Mark's. They only list three kits for Toyota conversions.
Here are some pics of a D-90 with LS2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	landrover_95.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	29196   Click image for larger version

Name:	landrover_90.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	29197  

Name:	landrover_66.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	29198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4011.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	29199  

Name:	DSCN3643.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	29201  
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Do you know whose that is? How to contact them or the specs?
The few odd things are that the engine looks centered in the engine compartment. How they did that and used a LR t/c is making me wonder. Maybe they used a different one? What trans?
They also arent running a/c.
The didnt have to cut the mounts and weld, but to each his own
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Just found this thread. Any updates on your install Cliff?
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Actually no
I am pulling it all out so that a local rover guy Matt can CAD the parts so the T/c adapter can be duplicated.
Marks takes forever, and to run the 6 speed needed a different part anyway.

Just been slammed with work so its been sitting.

What I need to do is get:
Thorley 326 headers
Custom radiator
HD flywheel and bolts
QT mounts
Swap oil pans (so I can have an oil cooler like on some trucks and a rear facing drain plug)
Figure out what pulleys will work and still clear the PS box and hood. (I prefer the stock bonnet)

thats another $3k+ right there.
then I can take it in and have the custom motor mount adapters fabbed up.

Ive actually pondered swapping the 6l80e out for a built 6l90e by Circle D. But then the t/c adapter shaft would have to be remade.
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:16 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
OK, thx. Let us know if you make any headway with it.

Thx

Ian
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I would like to see a similar thread with a kit for an american diesel conversion. Something common like a Dodge, Cummings, Detroit or Ford powerplant fitted to a D90 would be a low cost, easy to maintain, solution for use in north america. While I think the Chevy V8 proposal is interesting, with the way gas is going these days, if I where to spend this kind of money and effort, I would much rather go to diesel. Otherwise, I would rather retain a more stock setup of a rebuilt 3.9l (I have a 94 D90).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Vendors Loft