Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Artwork & Doodles

Old October 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
On board Computer

I just upgraded my truck today... I am now operating at computing power equal to that of manned space flight in 2001. I have a HAL 9000 interface in my dash console and use the toggle switches to set 1's and 0's to compute the tough stuff when my slide rule max's out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defenderhal.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	15686  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
ROFL. What exactly can that do?

You can get one of these off ebay for $132 shipped if you want [a little] more computing power
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuji.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	15700  
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Open the liftgate door HAL.

I'm sorry Len, I cannot do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I was debating putting Max from Flight of the Navigator in my truck. Then I realized it was Paul Reubens voice and thats just creepy to drive with.

Nice PS skills there Len!
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:31 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin

You can get one of these off ebay for $132 shipped if you want [a little] more computing power
my HAL 9000 can't do crap.... other than lock me out of my truck ....and boost my thread count! but I like that unit you have..... can i load my own map SW on it... I use magellen Map Send for my gps stuff.

Len

Old October 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hi Len

Yes it's just a (relatively low powered) PC so you can run the same software you have with a USB GPS receiver which can be pretty cheap without software.
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
This might end up being a quick winter project... Gumstix.
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah those are especially cool due to their low power draw and compact size. Ignoring the touch screen they draw so little power you could leave it on 24x7. You could get way out of hand with this stuff though. I have thought of leaving something like a gumstix on all the time, and having a second one with a touch screen pxe boot off it to be a thin client that can just shut on/off with the vehicle. It would distribute the processing power needed and give quick boot times with no worries about power management.
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Very interesting idea! If you decide to pick up one sooner than later, let me know.
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Chaps, just finished my own hal and will install it on the bulkhead behind the passenger on my new build 90 with a touch screen head unit, have to find a way of interfacing a red light for the dash ..;-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car PC.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	15733   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0675.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	15734  

Old October 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T
Hi Chaps, just finished my own hal and will install it on the bulkhead behind the passenger on my new build 90 with a touch screen head unit, have to find a way of interfacing a red light for the dash ..;-)
Hey Gren, you've got the Voom PC2 box there? that's exactly what i've bought for my 110.

I managed to acquire a mini-itx motherboard from work along with a 140gb laptop drive, so i installed XPpro onto it, along with memory map/microcat/autodata/bearmach browser/classic LR parts, and all my tech software.

oh... and some films,email,www browser and a wifi card, so should be good when it's going! LOL!

just need to get a decent 10~12" screen for the dash. got any good ideas where to get one here in the UK?

(PS... i'm in Swindon, not too far from you)

cheers

Jamie
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:39 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:

Thanks for the tip.... I snaged one off ebay today. The guy selling was local... so I dropped by his shop and checked it out... I gave him a Ben Franklin. I got the unit with a dock, power supply, mouse, laptop case, and an ethernet card. The screen is very clear and sharp. I just have to borrow a usb - cd to install the Map Send SW. It is running windows 98. Any recommendations on loading the SW other than using an external CD drive? Are you running a power inverter to power the ac adapter? OR is there somthing else I can do to bump the 12v from my car battery to the 16 V the system needs?

Are you running yours with the doc?

Thanks

Old October 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
That's a good deal with the dock included.

You can use a usb thumb drive for most things (2G thumb drives are dirt cheap if you don't have one), or just use the wireless card and copy it over the network.

If you want to change the OS there is an access panel on the back to pull the hard drive (just 2 screws) and you can put the drive into a laptop or get an adapter to a standard IDE size connector and put it into a desktop PC. You can also upgrade the RAM to 256M (PC100) easily as well with another access panel on the back.

I bought an DC adapter that runs straight off 12V which I plan to hard wire into the truck and use the dock. I am not using the dock in the truck yet, but thats the plan. I plan to make a mount using most of the dock, allowing me to just drop the fuji in to have power, usb and ethernet. The only bummer is that audio in/out are independent jacks on the side so they would need to be plugged in separately. I haven't looked into it, but I think I could buy USB speakers, and rig that as input to my stereo or even direct to my truck speakers and avoid needing that connector. Or even a USB sound card, but you get the idea. the goal is to be able to drop it in the dock and not need any other connectors and no loose wiring. You can just yank and drop in the cubby to avoid weather or concerns of theft when needed.

I also plan to hook up a few usb cameras to have a suspension cam, or just footage on the trail etc, but I'll need a usb hub at that point and then its one more thing to power (usually 5v) as the usb ports on the device itself can't power more than 2 devices.

PM me your address and I'll send you a cute little wireless (IR) keyboard for it. It can be handy at times (although the on screen keyboard is fully functional)

hth
charles
Old November 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Well, I built my integrated platform to hold and secure the fujitsu yesterday. I use a velcro strap to hold the base to the platform. I found a good little computer car charger / power supply, but I also just ordered a second one that is a "used" fujitsu OEM charger. When it arrives I will cut the Accessory plug off and tap directly into car power rather than use the cigar lighter. This thing works pretty cool. I took it out for an hour road test today... this will be a great tool out on the trail... I won't have to zoom in and out to see where I am at - I have full color topo coverage for the entire US. All I have to do is transfer my waypoints for a particular trip to the HD with a (USB thumb drive) and I am ready to go. - I will miss my HAL 9000, but that bastard locked me out of truck one too many times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fujitsuinstalled.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	16088   Click image for larger version

Name:	platform.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	16089  

Name:	platforminstalled.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	16090  

Old November 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Nice, but doesn't that make shifting to low range tricky?

Good to see you putting yours to good use. One thing I love about it is that I can use it on both trucks instead of needing two carputers. Just took mine down to Uhwarrie in the 110. I am still using a makeshift mount I made but will make a better permanent one soon.

I still have an extra IR keyboard if you want it.

charles
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Len - Looks like you swapped out the checkerplate?

Old November 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Nice, but doesn't that make shifting to low range tricky?

Good to see you putting yours to good use. One thing I love about it is that I can use it on both trucks instead of needing two carputers. Just took mine down to Uhwarrie in the 110. I am still using a makeshift mount I made but will make a better permanent one soon.

I still have an extra IR keyboard if you want it.

charles
Hi Charles,

Thank you for the offer... but that was one other thing the seller through in the deal... sorry I forgot to mention that.

Yes low range is a mild achrobatic feat, but I tried it out... I give it the "reach around" and it works. The platform is not permenently mounted. I installed 3 rivet nuts in the front of my center console... so it is pretty easy to take out the platform when I am not using the gps system. Thanks for posting your original info.... for just a hundred bucks or so I have a great upgrade and I am really happy with the results. This fujitsu really is kick ass- I couldn't buy a monitor this size for a $100! and if I get hard up I can even check my email with it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Len - Looks like you swapped out the checkerplate?
Hi Jim,

How is school going? I haven't removed any checker plate... I have it on my wingtops, rear corners and sills. When I removed my plastic center console a few years back I replaced it with my brushed stainless steel unit.....

Those are some great pics of your truck in Moscow!

Len

Old November 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Len - School is kicking my ass. Apparently this place has a reputation to uphold.

I though the checker plate on your fenders was painted red - maybe thats just on the sills. Either way, I was confused.

Old November 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Thanks Len - School is kicking my ass. Apparently this place has a reputation to uphold.

I though the checker plate on your fenders was painted red - maybe thats just on the sills. Either way, I was confused.
Hi Jim,

It sounds like school is keeping you out of trouble! The wingtop protectors are OEM factory - and were annodized silver. The factory OEM sill protectors and rear corner plates weren't annodized so rather than letting them oxidize I painted them Monza red to match my truck. Those are the three places on the truck that take a lot of "regular/daily use" abuse so I felt it would be a good idea to cover them.

Good luck on selling your truck - that looks like a pretty fair price.

Len

Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Len, what gps software are you using? Does it have a routing feature?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Artwork & Doodles