Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Artwork & Doodles

Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Len, what gps software are you using? Does it have a routing feature?
Hi,
Neil,

I use an old version of Magellan's MapSend Topo . It came with my first gps unit ( Sport Track Map). It lets you build routes with waypoints and customize map regions that can be saved as files to be uploaded to a gps. The maps are fairly accurate. I still find discrepancies between what is actually on the ground, National forest maps and MapSend Topo. It is not a perfect world. The nice feature about the mapsend is that you can load the entire data base of maps on your PC and not need the CD to operate the SW. I upgraded my GPS a couple of years ago.. magellan 210 explorist and mapsend topo 3d. I don't use the SW... it requires that you have the CD in the PC which sucks... They did that to reduce piracy. The new GPS is usb based and the Magellan folks did not write good backward or forward compatable (vista) interfaces between the explorist and the SW. They eventually wrote some new software to eliminate the need for machine interface with the map SW. So that is what I use to upload routes and waypoints to the explorist. The explorist is used as a back up system now.... I will only turn it on if my old system craps out on the trail. The old clunker Sport Track Map is what I use to drive the realtime track logging on the Fujitsu. Sport Track Map gps has a serial interface to the Mapsend Topo which is designed well and works well. I am sorry to say there have to be better gps units than Magellan- but I only spent $100 for Sport track map w/ mapsend topo from Costco. When I bought the Magellan explorist 210 w/ mapsend topo 3D I spent $150 at REI... I don't know if higher priced $500 handhelds work any better.... I will not spend that kind of dough...I grew up using maps and a compass to navigate the sierras on foot and felt that was adequate skills untill I began 4 wheeling and found that roads and road signs tend to be transiate and suject to change.

Most of my route planning is done with google earth open and running to verify routes on the USFS maps and mapsend. google earth give you great "fly through" capabilities to get a feel for the terrain and map.

I hope I didn't give you too much information!

len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2008, 12:48 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Today I had a chat with my local IT guys to discuss putting a SSD solid state hard drive in the fujitsu. I believe I have found one for around $90. If I get and install it, the PC will have no moving parts.....it will be extremely durable and more likely to survive off road use. (although the current HD is designed to take a great deal of abuse) primarily due to requirements to operate in a rugged hand toted computer. I will keep you posted if I make the swap. Installing this disk will double the amount of money I intended to put into this project.....but it will likely last a long time even under the abuse of 4 wheeling use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm honestly not sure I'd go that far with this device. I upgraded my hard drive to get more disk space, and it came with the nice side effect of it being faster too. Its cheaper than a solid state drive and I am sure it wil be plenty reliable.

Like anything else, make backups of anything you care about either way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I like

Charles, I like that set up, could you help me and elaborate exactly what is is, brand, etc ( I think the 109 would love it ) *LOL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
ROFL. What exactly can that do?

You can get one of these off ebay for $132 shipped if you want [a little] more computing power
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
It's a tablet PC with an 8" touchscreen. Fujitsu Stylistic LT C-500. 500 mhz celeron, 128Mb of ram (upgradeable to 256mb only with any single stick 256Mb PC100 laptop ram), comes with a 6G hard drive, but any laptop hard drive should work (I have a 60G in mine). Will come with some form of windows (mine came with windows 2000) but you can install anything you want on it.

You can use it for pretty much anything as long as it doesn't require gobs of memory or cpu (disk you can solve). I use mine mainly as a big GPS (with a USB GPS receiver), but plan to use it for media as well. You can rip DVDs and music onto it and play them on it (my daughter watched a DVD off it on the way to MAR. It has wireless so so you can check email, surf the web, whatever if you have a data connection. I have used my little tracking phone as a (slow) modem to do the same as well. Since it has usb ports you can use it for anything else you can think of that you can do on a computer. If your vehicle has OBDII or sensors (I know your 109 doesn't) you could take the inputs and monitor/display them etc. I'm thinking about trying some USB cameras for a suspension cam or just record some trail rides from the truck's perspective.

They are readily available used on ebay. Here is one for $116 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujitsu-Stylistic-LT-500-Tablet-PC-Laptop-Computer-GPS_W0QQitemZ390006643338QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item390006643338&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|24 0%3A1318

I think this is the crowd I got mine from. The way you add accessories is a bit hokey, but they have car adapters etc cheap.

Follow-up Post:

This one is $100 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujitsu-Stylistic-LT-500-Tablet-PC-Laptop-Computer_W0QQitemZ130266753819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item130266753819&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3 A1|240%3A1318
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Thank you

Charles,

Do you attache a USB drive to load all the soft?

Thank you so much
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:27 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Charles,

Do you attache a USB drive to load all the soft?

Thank you so much
You can do it without a USB CD drive. My system (Windows 98) did not have any modern usb drivers, so to load my map SW I first found the driver for my 2GB usb thumb drive on the internet and put this driver on a CF card using a different PC. (There is a CF card slot built into the fujitsu ). After inserting the CF card into the fujitsu I installed the usb thumb driver onto the fujitsu. I copied the CD for my map SW to the USB thumb drive on a different PC. I then inserted the thumb drive into the fujitsu and installed my map sw. It may be slow but it works.

Old November 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Gustavo, as Len says you just need to get one mechanism working and then you have lots of ways.

Mine came with a wireless ethernet card that worked fine under windows (w2k).

USB thumb drives are cheap and usually "just work"

PCMCIA ethernet cards (wired or wireless) should just work. If you get the dock, it has an ethernet port and that should just work (the fuji has the ehternet adapter built in, just no port exposing it other than the dock).

If you have another laptop, it's trivial to swap the hard drive to it, and copy files direct.

If you get one and have trouble getting going, I'd be happy to help.

charles
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Once again

Len,

That makes a lot of sense. I have couple of USB external / portable drive with autoplay drivers. Thank you.

Charles, I might take you up on that if I come to a wall I can't climb. Thank you.

One final bothering, any recommendations on the GPS software/Receiver? Also do you guys use Topo as well?

Thanks a mill for the info
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Assuming you use windows, the only gps software I have used on windows is garmin's nRoute software, which worked fine on the fuji. Gives turn by turn directions and all that. The receiver seems to lose it's signal too easily in the woods, so I'm betting there are better receivers out there.

I use a mapping program under linux called tangogps that can use a variety of map sources, including google's topo maps, but I haven't used the topo maps much yet.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Thanks again
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry