Old December 31st, 2013, 07:02 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Seems like a lot of crap to haul around just for a shower.
That's what I'm going to build after I get more pressing projects done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
I have about 10' of copper pipe coiled inside of a charcoal starter then hooked up the plumbing from my zodi with hose clamps. I set the starter on the camp stove and crank it up. Heats faster and works better for me.

Forgot...you can stick it in a camp fire, too.
Quote:
That's actually a really good idea. I guess you have some copper running away from the fire to keep the rest of the tubing from melting on the coals? How big is this setup? Can you post pics?
So Zodi alone is "a lot of crap" but a copper tube in a charcoal starter that then connects to the Zodi is OK?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:19 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
So Zodi alone is "a lot of crap" but a copper tube in a charcoal starter that then connects to the Zodi is OK?

Well, I guess that depends on your definition. The Zodi is 10"x10"x15". A coil in a small charcoal starter (or other small cylinder) could easily be less than 6x6x10 and fit in a Pelican. I'm usually pretty tight on space so it would make a difference for me.

I was thinking about Rod's solution and one thing I'd want to find is a good foot pump. The problem with having the shower by the campfire is that you'll probably end up with a muddy puddle right in the middle of camp. I was thinking about a portable setup that used a foot pump and the charcoal starter setup. You could take it out to the edge of camp and then just dump a shovel-full of coals in it and that should be enough to heat a shower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:44 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Ha,ha! It sure isn't as fancy as a zodi and I'm not saying this is the answer. I would like to get more pressure than the battery operated pumps that have come in the "zodi-like" heaters I've found but better pressure means more water consumed and that brings up its own problems. This can be left in a fire with the hoses going to a 5 gal bucket and get some convective effect through the coil to bring the temp of the bucket up, too, which is kinda neat.
Sorry I missed meeting you when you were here in CO, Chris. No excuse. Hope you're enjoying WA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	86985  
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2013, 08:57 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
That almost looks like a still..... hmmm.... dual purpose.

Old December 31st, 2013, 08:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Well, I guess that depends on your definition. The Zodi is 10"x10"x15". A coil in a small charcoal starter (or other small cylinder) could easily be less than 6x6x10 and fit in a Pelican. I'm usually pretty tight on space so it would make a difference for me.

I was thinking about Rod's solution and one thing I'd want to find is a good foot pump. The problem with having the shower by the campfire is that you'll probably end up with a muddy puddle right in the middle of camp. I was thinking about a portable setup that used a foot pump and the charcoal starter setup. You could take it out to the edge of camp and then just dump a shovel-full of coals in it and that should be enough to heat a shower.
Fair enough. You made it sound like you wanted to use it as a pre-heater to the Zodi or something.

PVC tubing is cheap, you could always just have a long hose from the fire to wherever you wanted to take a shower... but I guess the water will cool down along the way.

Old January 1st, 2014, 08:46 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
PVC tubing is cheap, you could always just have a long hose from the fire to wherever you wanted to take a shower... but I guess the water will cool down along the way.
More than likely, unless it was really boiling.
That's the nice thing about the Zodi, it's compact, only a little larger than a 50cal ammo can, self contained and totally flexible in moving from vehicle to vehicle or anywhere else you want to use it.
Another consideration is that during fire restrictions the charcoal starter likely would not be allowed to be used.
I thought about an onboard shower years ago, but decided to go with the Zodi for the flexibility and not having all my eggs in one basket. If I was needing to do vehicle work that disabled the engine, but couldn't finish, it would be nice to have a hot shower and clean up before dinner and bed. And I'm not a big fan of letting a vehicle just sit and idle.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat