youve got to be kidding me.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

youve got to be kidding me....

i have the exhaust torn off of the 110 to replace the y pipe. the drivers side cat went. when the passenger side went, i had one welded in since the pipe is as solid as a rock. why waste it. well, turned out to be a PITA, so i figure this time ill just replace the whole enchilada and bought a proline pipe from rovers north.....

it doesnt fucking fit.

first, it had 4 o2 bungs.... no biggie i figure... prolly the same pipe for different years... so i sealed them up.... i get the thing on the headers and move back to the muffler section and low an behold, its 1/2" to low because the pipe "y" is further back than the original, and the passenger side bend is banging into the transmission drain plug....

WHAT THE FUCK!!! now i have a god damn diabled rig in my driveway blocking my landcruisers.

Follow-up Post:

is it possible they sent the wrong y pipe? maybeeeeeeee a d90 with an r380 pipe? if theres such an animal? how the hell can this thing be so wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

They are making a lot of the universal fit ones with the 4 bungs, to fit 94-97 NAS trucks. I have one in my '94 that I just welded plugs into the bungs. What company made the one you have?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
They are making a lot of the universal fit ones with the 4 bungs, to fit 94-97 NAS trucks. I have one in my '94 that I just welded plugs into the bungs. What company made the one you have?

-Hans
well, the extra bungs arnt the issue. the issue is the passenger side branch of the pipe going directly under the drain plug and making contact with it so as to prevent the attachment to the muffler section. im just trying to ascertain if its poor jig design, or if the section belongs to a different defender and my order was filled incorrectly. how hard can it be to mimic a pipe?

its PROLINE as sold by Rovers North.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Sounds like youve got a OBDII Y-pipe, Rovers North should know better. Id send it back, I am sure you can find a OBDI ie: <95 RRC, 64-94 D-90 and 94-95 Discos.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Sounds like youve got a OBDII Y-pipe, Rovers North should know better. Id send it back, I am sure you can find a OBDI ie: <95 RRC, 64-94 D-90 and 94-95 Discos.
now why would they send that pipe when i told the guy i had a d110nas? when i first unwrapped it today, it was clear it was obd2 by my having to run down to the hardware store to get bent over for 2 m12x1.25 bolts (4.10 apiece for a bolt) to plug them. i just figured they were making the pipes with 4 bungs for all applications... but this is a hard interference no fittie i got going on here, and even if i bent the pipe to clear (i gots benders) it runs directly beneath the damn drain plug. basically its useless.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe they fucked up or that Proline part is defective. I would send it back and get one from one of the guys that parts Rovers. What was wrong with your old y-pipe?
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, they may have sent a RR or Disco Y-pipe instead of the correct one. I would call them up tomorrow and return it. I would also double check the part number on the package you received against the one they list for your application.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
maybe they fucked up or that Proline part is defective. I would send it back and get one from one of the guys that parts Rovers. What was wrong with your old y-pipe?
i doubt its "defective". assuming there wasnt any interference, it would bolt right up.

damn it. this was the first day i had free in a month to do this. last month they forgot to send me the gaskets, and i had to blow it off.

i guess ill be seeing what their customer service is like.

its in the garage and i dont feel like wandering out to check the part. im just gonna drink beer and veg.

the drivers side cat disintegrated. the passenger went 6 months ago and i had one welded in. i got pissed when this one went, figuring i shoulda just replaced the pipe being its 15 years old. but upon examination, its fine. the o2 sensors even came right out w/o a struggle.

what a friggin pain.
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:15 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Who was your salesman? There are a couple of boneheads there. I always ask for Les hes always had the correct answers and filled my orders correctly

Its been my experience that if you take the Y-Pipe to a competent weld shop they will weld in the new cats to look just like the factory did it. Muffler shop welders are not welders and generally will do a crappy job...

And look Bart no politics in my post
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
Who was your salesman? There are a couple of boneheads there. I always ask for Les hes always had the correct answers and filled my orders correctly

Its been my experience that if you take the Y-Pipe to a competent weld shop they will weld in the new cats to look just like the factory did it. Muffler shop welders are not welders and generally will do a crappy job...

And look Bart no politics in my post
the lack of highjack is much appreciated! this could be the start of a beautiful relationship!

the guy that did it last time is a does plenty of high end race cars and such (his shop the months bf the vintage GP is nutz) it ws 400 bucks + o2 sensor, and the guy bitched about getting in there to tack it in, and said he'd have charged more if he had noticed he had to pull the assembly to final weld. thats why i said "fuck it", and decided to do it at home with a pre made assembly and new o2's.

well, that backfired!
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm
i doubt its "defective". assuming there wasnt any interference, it would bolt right up.

damn it. this was the first day i had free in a month to do this. last month they forgot to send me the gaskets, and i had to blow it off.

i guess ill be seeing what their customer service is like.

its in the garage and i dont feel like wandering out to check the part. im just gonna drink beer and veg.

the drivers side cat disintegrated. the passenger went 6 months ago and i had one welded in. i got pissed when this one went, figuring i shoulda just replaced the pipe being its 15 years old. but upon examination, its fine. the o2 sensors even came right out w/o a struggle.

what a friggin pain.
You said it wouldnt clear the o2 sensors.

Ive had good luck with Roversnorth for the most part, some guy at Atlantic British told me my truck has ABS....
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"proline pipe from rovers north....."

Problem #1 ....
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Man, I have to go through this same delema with my wife's 93 RR lwb. I've been told there are differences between the 2 o2 pipes and the 4 o2 pipes as well as the swb and the lwb frame's. I believe a nas 110 is close to a RR lwb.... its actually a 109 frame, I might be wrong. I'm going to guess they sent you a D-90 Y instead of a 110.
And aren't the 4 plug one's for vehicles 95 and up exam: DiscoII, P38..... that would be totally differnt on your vehicle.

P.S. once ordered a spring conversion set up for my wife's air-ride LWB from Rovers North. They sent me 2 new one's and 2 used one's ( still paid the new price ) The 2 used one's were sent back to them from a customer in Montana..... inturn they sent the torn up box with the slighty used, slightly muddied springs in the box along with the return reicipt to me... that's how I know where they were from. When I called them back they had no answers.
It's only when I got lectured by one the sales person on another occasion, that I said that does it!

Anyway, of all people I understand your frustration. I think I'm going to try the Magnaflow cats.... I have the mufflers and I am happy with their quality.... open up a Summit Racing catalog, you'll be impressed!

good luck,
Luis
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Mine was made by CATCO, and I bought it off of e-bay of all places. Fit perfect, and there are a few on there right now for $416. But then again, mine is a '94 D-90. In case it makes much of a difference.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

It wouldn't be the first time they sent the wrong part.
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Imagine that, RN sending the wrong part...

Old November 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
zimm
bart

ok. here goes.... gonna call in a few minutes. we'll see how this goes! hopefully its a good customer service post in the end...

Follow-up Post:

i spoke to Arthur, and he pulled some pipes. theres a sticker mismatch, and the pipe i got was actually a DII pipe.

hes sending the proper pipe and and a pickup label for the wrong one.

assuming all goes well, i'd call that excellent service. some of the landcruiser shops dont return calls for weeks..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat