Your Rover picture! - Page 25 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #481  
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:35 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429
Haha. Yea. Pine barrens by forked river. Right off the parkway exit 74
Cool - would be good to hit that up some time.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #482  
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:05 PM
NomaD110
Status: Offline
Christian
1993 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 204
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have a 255/75 on my bonnet and I can open mine alone pretty easily.
Are you serious, bviously I can physically open it. What I am referring to is that with the spare tire on the hood the weight is too much for the little spring to clear the main latch so that when you trip the hood latch in the car you can't reach the under hood latch to clear the safety latch. How do you open the hood with only one person? Did you modify the latch?
Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
Are you serious, bviously I can physically open it. What I am referring to is that with the spare tire on the hood the weight is too much for the little spring to clear the main latch so that when you trip the hood latch in the car you can't reach the under hood latch to clear the safety latch. How do you open the hood with only one person? Did you modify the latch?
Gotcha. I have a simple solution. I keep a small vice grip clamped on the release handle shaft to hold it open all the time. I installed military bonnet latches on the wings. I only remove the vice grip when I want security to prevent someone from opening the bonnet in high crime areas. Otherwise, military latches do the job just fine.

Keep a small vice grip in your parcel tray to hold it open.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #484  
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:22 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Cool - would be good to hit that up some time.

Any time, only about a 30min drive from us, and thats with me doing a max of 60 on the parkway.

Not a whole lot of trails, but whats there is fun and you can spend the better part of the day gettin the truck muddy and wet.

Some of the water holes are formidable, so its deff wise to go with someone else incase you need a tug out of one. Good news is the real bad ones have by-passes.
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Cool - would be good to hit that up some time.

Don ( et Bossman429 )

Exit 74 ( Forked River ) it is Double Tree not the Pines Barrens

The Pineys are further south west you can take exit 58 if coming from the north but it is better to go to 52 to 654 and that takes you into the heart of Wharton.

I used to come from Atlantic to exit 67 ( Barnegat ) then onto Rt 554 west that merges with 72 and then drop in the Pineys after Chatsworth I think it is Rt 532 ish right into the North side

( it helps you avoid a lot of the ruts created by the locals running 44 in their 12" lifted Broncos )
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:24 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Don ( et Bossman429 )

Exit 74 ( Forked River ) it is Double Tree not the Pines Barrens

The Pineys are further south west you can take exit 58 if coming from the north but it is better to go to 52 to 654 and that takes you into the heart of Wharton.

I used to come from Atlantic to exit 67 ( Barnegat ) then onto Rt 554 west that merges with 72 and then drop in the Pineys after Chatsworth I think it is Rt 532 ish right into the North side

( it helps you avoid a lot of the ruts created by the locals running 44 in their 12" lifted Broncos )

Eh - anything south of Toms River is Pine barrens to me.

Exit 77 is Double Trouble state park (which I think you meant to say).

Exit 74 is Forked River/Lacey Road, the trails are technically Forked River Mountain (really just a big graveley sand Pit) My Girlfriend lived there up until last year... so i'm a bit familiar with the area now.

But you are correct, when people say Pine Barrens, most think of Wharton State Forest, which I was just at this past weekend (and took exit 52) with the girlfriend and the dog to check it out... much MUCH larger area than the forked river stuff but being a lone truck I wasn't about to start getting into anything hairy.

Either way, I'm down for any wheelin you guys may want to do.. I was skeptical on taking my truck on long highway runs since the previous owner (James with No Limit X) told me the engine had serious blow by issues.... to be honest I've found thats not the case. I replaced the breather valve/cap, oil line from the turbo, and put in a oil/air seperator between the breather valve and the intake, and re-gasketed the valve cover. In 2000 miles its captured about 2-3 oz of oil, and the new filter has remained perfectly dry. He was having issues with the intake getting a bunch of oil in it. It does have a little crankcase pressure but nothing serious. (Heck every engine and especially every f/i engine and REALLY ESPECIALLY any older f/i engine is going to have crankcase pressure, thats why they had breather valves in the first place!)

Just last weekend we did 200 miles (150 on the parkway) in it without any issue, so i'm confident enough in the engine now to take it on some longer trips.
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Eh - anything south of Toms River is Pine barrens to me.
LOL, actually anything south of 105 it's the Pines



Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Either way, I'm down for any wheelin you guys may want to do.. I was skeptical on taking my truck on long highway runs since the previous owner (James with No Limit X) told me the engine had serious blow by issues.... to be honest I've found thats not the case. I replaced the breather valve/cap, oil line from the turbo, and put in a oil/air seperator between the breather valve and the intake, and re-gasketed the valve cover. In 2000 miles its captured about 2-3 oz of oil, and the new filter has remained perfectly dry. He was having issues with the intake getting a bunch of oil in it. It does have a little crankcase pressure but nothing serious. (Heck every engine and especially every f/i engine and REALLY ESPECIALLY any older f/i engine is going to have crankcase pressure, thats why they had breather valves in the first place!)

Just last weekend we did 200 miles (150 on the parkway) in it without any issue, so i'm confident enough in the engine now to take it on some longer trips.
Glad to see your truck it's running great with no issues, James probably overdescribed the issue just to be save.

There is a run at the Pines mid January from the NELRC guys ( a night run )
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:49 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Yea im gonna be in puerto rico that date. Pissed ill miss it but ill take PR over Nj any day. Especially in winter
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Sounds good Adrian - would love to hit the Pine Barrens. Especially caravaning down would be cool. I just need to get a few things fixed - which is always the case! But would like to see how things work when I do fix them. Great to hear your rig running better than you thought. Sounds like you know your stuff.

Gus - thanks for the info - you've a lot of intel on the Jersey off road zones!
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Gus - thanks for the info - you've a lot of intel on the Jersey off road zones!
Used to live in Jersey before MD
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #491  
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
gliebig's Avatar
gliebig
Status: Online
Greg Liebig
95 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
Posts: 286
Smart car + Land Rover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miniD.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	44404  
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old December 4th, 2011, 03:45 AM
jvelador's Avatar
jvelador
Status: Offline
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 592
LOL! That looks like it's hard to get in & out of.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old December 4th, 2011, 04:00 AM
mikeslandrover's Avatar
mikeslandrover
Status: Offline
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oxted, Surrey, England, U.K
Posts: 1,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
Smart car + Land Rover
I predict trouble on steep ascents off road!
Nice job though
__________________
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM
newfD90's Avatar
newfD90
Status: Offline
Chance
93 NAS 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monument, Colorado
Posts: 1,359
Playing in the recent snow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	45234  
__________________
Chance

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:00 PM
red64chevelle
Status: Offline
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 428
Registry
Sorry, no action shot yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111123_145057.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	45246  
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,839
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
Sorry, no action shot yet.
wheres the series ?
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM
MudD1's Avatar
MudD1
Status: Offline
Jeff
Hippert's 1994 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 214
After the conversion.before the cage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3008745565.png
Views:	177
Size:	969.8 KB
ID:	45256   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2651796315.png
Views:	183
Size:	945.1 KB
ID:	45257  

Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:37 AM
red64chevelle
Status: Offline
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 428
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
wheres the series ?
Still at my sister-in-laws in NJ. I am headed down on the 26th to pick her up. Don't worry, pictures will follow.
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,789
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudD1 View Post
After the conversion.before the cage.

Nice! Your spare tire looks too small....
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
It's awesome that you have given a new lease on life to that truck!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Famous Land Rover owners Lindy Misc. Chit-Chat 4 June 15th, 2009 08:49 PM
Any Proud Rover Owner needs to read this WCURoverD90 Misc. Chit-Chat 12 July 30th, 2008 06:13 PM
Good Bye Ford, Hello Tata... It's done. JFD Misc. Chit-Chat 46 April 3rd, 2008 02:49 PM
Land Rover family tree D901619 Defender Technical Discussions 9 July 5th, 2007 04:34 PM
Oil Info XD90 Defender Technical Discussions 5 September 7th, 2004 10:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Copyright