You know when you've reached adulthood when... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 29th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
You know when you've reached adulthood when...

...you use your old Neil Blender skateboard to move baby furnature around
good times

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:42 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Definitely good times.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:45 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

That's funny. I rode this model Blender in middle school. Still have some of my old boards in my garage somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neil_Coffee-deck.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	50905  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

That's it, but mine is covered with stickers...
...Tracker trucks and G&S speed keys...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

When your oldest gets his permit

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:26 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I still have a wicked Powell Peralta from about 1980. Old school baby.
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:54 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
I still have a wicked Powell Peralta from about 1980. Old school baby.
Nice!! Powell had the best graphics. "bones brigade"
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

I was getting my son a pair of shoes for a wedding this weekend and got to talking skateboard decks at the Vans store. A couple of things immediately stood out at me making me realize I'm f*cking old....

1. All of the decks in the store I used to skate are now called "Vintage"
2. The decks I used to skate are about 4 times the size of a new deck
3. When I mentioned a few of my favorite skaters to the sales guy, I got the blank stare and "those guys must have been a little bit before my time."

Eggh, who cares, I still have a Defender!

------ Follow up post added May 1st, 2012 08:25 AM ------

Anyone remember the skater Natas Kapas? I had one of his decks. He was always the coolest to my friends because his name spelled Satan backwards.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:48 AM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

Yup, I skated with Natas a few times in Venice and Santa Monica back in the day. I remember some of my buddies parents flipping out when they saw the "NATAS" shirt with the black panther on it. He was one of the sickest skaters in the late 80's early 90's.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:23 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

He was pretty insane when he'd ollie stuff. The deck I had was purple with panthers leaping out from either side. Good stuff.

Remember all those Bones Brigade videos from Powell?
I've spent one or two afternoons watching some of those old videos on You Tube.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:59 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty james
Yup, I skated with Natas a few times in Venice and Santa Monica back in the day. I remember some of my buddies parents flipping out when they saw the "NATAS" shirt with the black panther on it. He was one of the sickest skaters in the late 80's early 90's.
No shit! That's cool - I loved his style. Gonz too. His Natas spin around the fire hydrant was the sickest thing bitd. Not to mention his name and that he rode for Santa Monica Airlines.

A lot of those late 80's, early 90's guys brought a ton of progression to skating. And there are still a bunch of them still ripping pools and ramps - Cab, Hosai, Lance, Alva. I would still skate but man, it is squirrelly - hard as hell - I will keep with the bikes, haha

------ Follow up post added May 1st, 2012 01:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
...you use your old Neil Blender skateboard to move baby furnature around
good times
Yeah, or your daughter and son are riding the same bmx bike as you did when you were there age. And they love it as no one else has a chrome bike with red tires, haha.

Neil Blender was good - I mean, hell he invented the lein air which still looks sooo dope.
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
No shit! That's cool - I loved his style. Gonz too. His Natas spin around the fire hydrant was the sickest thing bitd. Not to mention his name and that he rode for Santa Monica Airlines.

A lot of those late 80's, early 90's guys brought a ton of progression to skating. And there are still a bunch of them still ripping pools and ramps - Cab, Hosai, Lance, Alva. I would still skate but man, it is squirrelly - hard as hell - I will keep with the bikes, haha

------ Follow up post added May 1st, 2012 01:03 PM ------

Yeah, or your daughter and son are riding the same bmx bike as you did when you were there age. And they love it as no one else has a chrome bike with red tires, haha.

Neil Blender was good - I mean, hell he invented the lein air which still looks sooo dope.
I think Natas did that hydrant spin in the "Streets on Fire" video. Gonz did have a style all his own. The guys from S.M.A, DogTown and Santa Cruz would skate with all the locals and were pretty approachable. I just saw Eric Dressen the other day and he still skates. When I was a kid we all used to head to Lance Mountains house in Alhambra, Ca. He had ramps and let everyone come and skate. When he was on tour his mom would let us in. Pretty nice family. The old school guys were all about skating with speed and aggression. They'd always be listening to Black Flag, Dead Kennedys or some other old punk. There's always a board in the back of my 90 just in case I see a good spot.
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:53 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Unhappy story to follow.......

So a few years ago the wife and I and our two small kids decided it was time for a vacation. We had really not had a good vacation since having children. I knew a guy who knew a guy and got us a deal at the new Mandarian Oriental south of Cancun. We arrived and the place was over the top. Beautiful hotel, very modern. We were handed cool hand towels at check it to wipe our brow and cold drinks with flowers in them. Clearly we were not part of the heathen unbathed masses. The room was great and the price was not bad, but the rude awakening started when we got to the pool.

We roll up to the pool with kids in tow and all their required floaties and dive toys, etc. We received a snobish glance from many at the pool including the wait staff. The look of the pool was very european, clean and stark. I immediately notice that most of the people around the pool are women and almost all of them are topless. I flag the waiter over and ask about the number of women at the pool and he says something about a balet troop from Mexico City. We ordered our first margarita and as the wife relaxes, I get in the pool with the screaming kids. We have a grand time. "Thow me daddy" is screamed by both of my kids about a thousand times. Much splashing follows. The sideways looks continue and now the staff is openly commenting on theories that we must have somehow slipped past security.

As the day goes on the wife and I continue to get glances and she says she does not like the place. I protest, this place is not so bad. By now there are at least thirty toned toppless women laying all over the place. Against my better judgement, I tell the wife we need to give this place a chance. She gives me a sideways look.

We decide we should get the kids and find something for dinner so I ask for the tab and the wife and kids head down to the beachside cafe. The pool tab arrives and Holy Sh*t. 3 hours at the pool cost me $280. The kids cokes were $12, margaritas were about $20. Burgers and tacos at the cafe set me back another $250.

The next morning, we decide to check out of the hotel to head to a more "family friendly" hotel in Cancun. As I sat at the front desk and signed my credit card bill, shocked by what less than 24 hours had just cost me, I could not help but reflect that this was a defining moment in my life. I am checking OUT of the hotel with all the topless women to find something with a kiddie slide. Its all down hill from here boys. The worst part is that the wife deleted all the photos on the camera.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, hood