You know we are back in 2007/2008 when...... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:49 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
All this scary talk reminds me I need a solar generator for the cabin - STAT!

Jonesy, can you finance it for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:52 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
All this scary talk reminds me I need a solar generator for the cabin - STAT! Jonesy, can you finance it for me?
A good investment more for if critical infrastructure took a dive or a catastrophic weather event precipitated that vice economic collapse but it's a multi-purpose upgrade.

We prepare so we don't end up at the superdome...
Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
It could be 7% lower and you would have been a genius. The market is legalized gambling, not a science.
Yep.

Now if I could just figure out exactly when to take that short position on the market....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:39 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I lost a shit ton last time - aint happening again. I have been fortunate enough that those who manage my funds have done a great job recouping $$$ over the last 5yrs, we have all been fortunate with the tsunami we are currently riding. But when that wave hits I want to be off it. Which is why I am cutting now. On the advice of some guys in the know...not just my own speculation.
You want to be off the upward wave before it crests. And buying as the market finds bottom.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:09 PM
Tarheeld
Bill
1985 110

No financial guru here. I recall the Australian Reserve Bank Governor (equivalent to the Chair of The Federal Reserve Bank in the US) stating that a much needed equilibration is due after the unwarranted flush of cash into the world economy (G20) in response to the GFC of 2008. Looking at only the currency market, one can well observe that this equilibration is taking place. Of course, many can and do view this with the outlook that shit is about to hit fan. The USD is here to stay; the BRIC nations floated their own currency model a few years back and its fallen on deaf ears. If anything, the GBP might replace the USD if it ever comes down to it.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:21 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

A wise market analyst once told me that the global reserve currency will always be dictated by the nation that dominates the high seas. This has certainly been true historically and there's little reason to believe otherwise for the foreseeable future.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
What is the D90 forum for financial info for you guys?

I feel like I read articles found off a Google search to try and learn/be more aware of finance and it is like blah blah blah. I can understand sonornos' tech posts on here (for the most part) but can fathom shit when reading financial stuff.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:27 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Defender Source financial happy hour video:

Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
We just put in a full-price offer on a house...and we're hoping they'll accept it. Reminds me of 2005.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:08 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
What is the D90 forum for financial info for you guys? I feel like I read articles found off a Google search to try and learn/be more aware of finance and it is like blah blah blah. I can understand sonornos' tech posts on here (for the most part) but can fathom shit when reading financial stuff.
I, for one, enjoy conversations of common interest.
Yes, I'm on this forum to both learn and help participate in everything Land Rover.
But every now and then, it's nice to sit back over a coffee or a cold beer (dependent on time of day) and chat about other interest.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:14 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
We just put in a full-price offer on a house...and we're hoping they'll accept it. Reminds me of 2005.
^^^^^This

(hope your offer is accepted and congrats on getting married)
Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:46 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
That's because full price today is probably $50,000 less than full price was 10 years ago. The sellers are probably happy if they're breaking even.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:30 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
It's completely different from 2005. Lending standards were much looser, to the point of there being none. Buyers today are much more qualified and are typically people like you, renters who are finally confident enough to commit to a house. Housing prices today are low, relative to 2005 and so is the inventory of houses available for purchase, hence the full price offers.

Housing strength today might be a leading indicator of an improving economic picture. We'll see.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Entertainment
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
That's because full price today is probably $50,000 less than full price was 10 years ago. The sellers are probably happy if they're breaking even.
We've definitely been seeing that those who bought in 2005 (the "top" of the RE market IMO) and put their homes back up for sale this year have been the ones with the most unrealistic initial asking prices in 2015. This particular home was built in 1965 and occupied by the same family since then. The mom is in her 90's now and just put in a home, so the kids are hoping for a big payday now that it's vacant. They had it listed FSBO for 2 months before now, and we'd put in an offer (which they rejected and did not counter) 2 months ago that would have netted them MORE money than they'll net now with an agent if it goes at full ask.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:45 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Entertainment
I think my question was worded incorrectly. I wanted to know if there was a forum out there for financial chatter that is like D-90 for Defenders. Or if people want to talk finance on here more I enjoy reading it and might learn a thing or 2.

------ Follow up post added August 3rd, 2015 05:47 PM ------

Quote:
Josh - where are you guys moving to? And good luck with the purchase!
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:58 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:

I feel like I read articles found off a Google search to try and learn/be more aware of finance and it is like blah blah blah. I can understand sonornos' tech posts on here (for the most part) but can fathom shit when reading financial stuff.
Ha! Don, if you feel lost and confused and none of what they spew makes any sense then that's a good sign you've been doing proper due diligence.

At the end of the day I say get in, stay diversified, don't try to time the market and keep an eye on fees. Have we ever heard any old men say anything different? We won't make millions at it but we should all do fine.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:07 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
I think my question was worded incorrectly. I wanted to know if there was a forum out there for financial chatter that is like D-90 for Defenders. Or if people want to talk finance on here more I enjoy reading it and might learn a thing or 2.

------ Follow up post added August 3rd, 2015 05:47 PM ------

Josh - where are you guys moving to? And good luck with the purchase!
There are a ton. Seekingalpha comes to mind for equities, but there are even hedge fund forums, not that any of that chatter matters anyway because they are just folks trying to figure it out just like us, but with more sophisticated industry jargon and lemming strategies.
In fact there is plenty of real worl financial knowledge right here at DefenderSource.
Besides, do you think folks that actually had the formula or the answer to when things would unravel would actually share that with the public!?!
Old August 3rd, 2015, 10:01 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
I was just getting out of college the last go around and spent some time working as a photographer, doing landscaping, and managing a restaurant. I have definitely come a long way since 07, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it to all turn around again. We are just doing our best to live below our means, save up for a massive down payment, and hoping for the best. How's that for sophisticated?
Old August 4th, 2015, 07:32 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily View Post
I was just getting out of college the last go around and spent some time working as a photographer, doing landscaping, and managing a restaurant. I have definitely come a long way since 07, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it to all turn around again. We are just doing our best to live below our means, save up for a massive down payment, and hoping for the best. How's that for sophisticated?
I would probably disagree. Diverse work experiences are typically pretty damn valuable. I preach this to my own kids all the time. Over my 25 year career I have hired a lot of kids out of college and by far the ones with the strongest work ethic and ability to adapt quickly come from the large state schools and that have had multiple job experiences. The kids coming from the other schools are smart and a little more polished but they haven't worked for very many different types of people and struggle to blend in and think on their feet without a manual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac