yet another newbie - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 13th, 2008, 06:47 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

yet another newbie

just got my first defender, a 95 d-90 sw on wednesday and am loving it. had a disco years ago which was a totally different animal. like most i looked for a long time before jumping in the pool. i got burned for a large sum on a 110 that never happened from a dealer in canada and went off and licked my wounds for a while. my wife thought i was crazy to try again but this time i decided to go with a reputable dealer in the US to try and minimize the risk of a repeat. i bought from copley and they were great to deal with, they may charge more but you certainly get what you pay for. i havent gotten service that good on any new car i have ever purchased. truck is as advertised, no surprises. this site has been very helpful, pretty much any question i have had i can find a good answer to through the search function. i'm sure i'll come up with some new ones as time goes on so i just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for the great resource. soon as i get the dust washed off from the trip from boston to anchorage i will try and post a picture.
robert hall
anchorage, ak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Good I bought my 95 from Copley has been a wonderful truck. i think I have had it 7 years and Ive spend a few thou on it not bad I guess. What number is your truck? Get some redline MTL for the transmission post some photos. Ask a lot of questions
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:17 AM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

d-90 photo

here is a photo of my 1995 d-90sw 338/500. do people have any advice on routine maintenance items other than oil, fluids etc. on the redline MTL, would it be appropriate here in anchorage, the winters get cold but usually 0's to 20's with 30 below at the worst?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	13855  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Upgrade to stainless oil cooler lines! ASAP
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:08 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah i think it would be fine. how many miles on the truck? I did the 30k service when I got mine, all the filters fluids and ignition parts shortly after. a few hoses and PCV system parts.
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

you drive it to Alaska?
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
thats a good looking truck robert....
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Congrats on your new defender. It looks like you and I got our rigs on the same day!
Enjoy.

I would get the stainless oil cooler lines as suggested by Stmpede.
Ordered mine from Trailhead 4x4 today Eric there is a nice guy.
It's the first thing on the list to upgrade IMO.

Gery
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

Wow........what did shipping cost to Anchorage. Great looking truck Robert.
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

the truck has 58K miles. it has had the clutch and brakes replaced in the last 2k miles. the owners manual suggests a major service at 60K miles which probably wouldnt be a bad idea since the truck is new to me. the oil cooler lines were replace 2 years ago at cityside garage in boston but they replaced with rubber lines again. i dont know enough to know if they were rerouted. the closest line is about an inch and a half from the manifold and secured so it cant get any closer. what do you experts think?
getting the truck up here from boston was a project in itself. with the roof rack, tires, and suspension the height is 90 inches, well over the cutoff for shipping a "standard" vehicle. i contacted all the auto transport companies that claim to ship to AK from the lower 48(only 4 or 5) and only one would even give me an estimate and that was 5500. i called keith at copley to whine and he stepped up and arranged transport from boston to the port of tacoma and then i only had to arrange shipping from there to the port of anchorage. total cost about 3500. i mentioned in an earlier post how well i was treated by copley. hopefully i wont get him in trouble for telling this but not only did keith save me a ton on shipping but he also arranged a waxoyl job in boston for me. he then paid for both, sent the vehicle on its way, and then trusted me to send a check to cover those expenses. all for one of their least expensive vehicles. i cant imagine what they would do for you if you bought an ECR 110.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat