Yet another engine fire - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:14 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Chris ,Sorry to hear about your fire,glad your ok.Are you still going to MAR in your lifted Freelander.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
lifted Freelander.
Wait, really? Pics?
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:50 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
Chris ,Sorry to hear about your fire,glad your ok.Are you still going to MAR in your lifted Freelander.
I want to go to MAR, I just havent sat down and started the coordination of getting my act together to prepare for it. I would say that at the moment, the Freelander will be the ride for me.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
Wait, really? Pics?
Yes, I bought Steve Youngs Freelander
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=3364

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:55 AM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I want to go to MAR, I just havent sat down and started the coordination of getting my act together to prepare for it. I would say that at the moment, the Freelander will be the ride for me.

Follow-up Post:

OK SO YOU ARE GOING TO MAR?? Then why I am looking at flying...We could meet up?
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverChic
OK SO YOU ARE GOING TO MAR?? Then why I am looking at flying...We could meet up?
I dont know but since you were the first to ask for the open seat, you got dibs on the navigation chair if you want the ride to MAR.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Rovers North was invaluable in both pricing my insurance claim, but also in Chammy's rebuild. They sourced an entire brand-new HVAC box from the UK, among other things. The dealers were worthless, couldn't be bothered -- especially in preparing the estimate.

Doug W.
Good info to know, thanks Doug. I will keep that in mind. I know there are some dealerships out there like that but I think I am lucky with that the service people at Austin LR seem to be a great gang from my interaction with them. Hell I know them already better than any other people in town so far. When I got here, I stopped in and wanted to meet them and just say hi and then had some service on the Freelander done and now this, so they have seem me quite a bit over the past few weeks and they have been great to me so far. I was worried when I moved away from Philly because there, I was real happy with the gang at Main Line and the level of service I felt I got with them so it was a concern of how the new home base was going to welcome a new wheeler in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:57 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Lightbulb

You have my number..call me let's try and work something out. I could you meet you off of I-30 OR You could pick me up from the DFW Airport???
Old August 16th, 2005, 04:52 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:

Follow-up Post:

That's AWESOME! Can't wait to see it at MAR (And put faces to all the names)
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris, Let me know if you need any info on parts or whatever... I did a complete bulkhead swap for my truck.... To bad you still don't live in PA.. I would have told you to bring me the truck and I would have done it for you.
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Randy, thanks for the offer man! Maybe I'll ship it to you. LOL

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Chris,

I've been away for a while just got back on and heard about your fire... I'm very sorry about your truck. On a brighter note, I'm glad I ordered Jim Pendleton's 'upgraded' oil cooler lines, still waiting on them but am very anxious to see his handy work.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll let us all know what happens.

Thanks

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:20 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

And 1 week later...

the horror continues. Was cleaning out my cameras memory and found this painful picture.

The torture never ends..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firehat01.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	3603  

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL! Will it ever end!
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.

Quote:
the horror continues. Was cleaning out my cameras memory and found this painful picture.

The torture never ends..
....So sad. Chris what have you found out from the insurance company? I hope that is going well for you!
Old August 20th, 2005, 03:33 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oooh, big suck. Like someone else said, this is the second best engine fire i've seen - and I've seen a few now. Mine fared the best, but I still have the smoke stains under the hood to remind me.

Of course, Defender tragedies are Defender oportunities, so I look forward to hearing what you're future D-plans are.

Glad to hear you came out unscathed.
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

posted today on norcalrover BB:

I was tooling down the road the other day in my D90 with the top off enjoying myself when I noticed white smoke and the smell of oil. My first thought was what poor fool's car was on its last legs; it couldn't possibly be me. To my horror when I looked in the rear view mirror I could barely see the car behind me for the smoke. I quickly pulled over and popped the hood to see my oil cooler line spraying oil directly on my exhaust manifold. I quickly shut it off and got a tow home.
I was lucky it did not ignite and put my car in flames.
Moral of the story: if you D90 is 9, 10, 11 years old, change the oil lines.
QUESTION: what is the cheapest source for oil cooler lines [for a 94 D90 ST].

Dan

Doug W.
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Doug, ask him to come over to the tech thread we have going and have him answer the questions. Luckily he caught it in time.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:19 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Request sent.

Doug W.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Doug Aitken
Doug Aitken
1995 D-90

What causes these Engine Fires???

There have been a number of unfortunate "flambeed D-90's" stories recently. Just a reminder:
While I suppose it is possible for engine oil to be ignited by a hot manifold, this is not that common. Engine oil flash points are well over 400 deg F, so while you will see lots of white smoke, it will likely not ignite (OK: if you are running a red-hot exhaust, it may do so!

However, hydraulic oil is another thing: for ATF and power steering fluid, the flash point is just over 300 deg. And brake fluid has a flash point around 230 deg F (not much more than the boiling point of water)! All can easily be ignited by a hot exhaust!

I know of two engine compartment fires in Houston, both caused by ATF on the exhaust:

In one, while competing in an off-road event (97D-90SW), a branch was forced up into the engine compartment by the front tire and it tore the transmission cooler line, dumping fluid onto the exhaust. Quick action by the driver with his fire extinguisher (YOU DO HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON BOARD????) killed the fire, but not before a lot of hoses and wiring was damaged....

In the second, (97D-90ST), while playing at Ft Hood (a Military base that used to be open for off-roading - but closed when too many yahoos started acting irresponsibly... well before 9/11), the vehicle fell into a deep river pool, with water over the engine. After carefull drying of everything, pulling the plugs to de-hydrolock and changing engine oil and filter, vehicle was driven home. But a day or so later, water in the transmission boiled and forced ATF out the breather and onto the exhaust. Luckily, the driver had just pulled up to the workshop of a local 4x4 shop and they immediately saw the fire and were able to kill the fire with a big shop extinguisher. Again, new hoses and wiring loom got it up an running again.

So be particularly careful about the condition of brake power steering and clutch lines, and especially the transmission fluid cooling lines. Don't be sloppy about keeping your engine compartment clean and attend to leaks or worn/cracked lines before you have the inevitable problem.

And carry a decent fire extinguisher!!

Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

The kicker is that I usally always have one. I took everything out of the truck for the trailer ride down here so as not to give someone motive to break in it and didnt put it back in when I left that morning.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:12 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Can someone post a picture of good/bad new/old oil lines?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine, fire